Zimmerman Not Guilty.

Obligatory umpteenth opinion about the Zimmerman case. Hopefully this a level headed response. Did I think Zimmerman committed a crime? Yes. Did he profile Treyvon Martin? Probably. Did Zimmerman need to start the confrontation? No. Did I think both parties escalated the confrontation? Yes. Does this constitute second degree murder? No. I feel this is a case of overzealous nobody neighborhood watchman needed to confront kid who was angry he was confronted and therefore both felt the need to "stand their ground." Turns out one of them was armed and someone else ended up dead. Ensue media firestorm. This was a case of manslaughter from the beginning, but overzealous prosecutors went for broke and lost with the attention of everyone. Lots of losses all around, including sanity, justice, and a young teen of who may have been troubled. In the end, America proves with lots of attention we can't get anything right. A man who was guilty of something walks free. So tired of this case.

TL: DR

I hate Florida. Yes I said it. Glad some people agree.

@RobertWargas: So a Hispanic shoots a black and is acquitted by women, but it's still white men's fault.

Not much of a case with the way the laws are written. But the media-obama-holder cabal needed to increase racial tension to boost black turnout in 2012. Ah the era of hopey-changey stuff. Now the DOJ can go after all the people threatening an innocent man or you can understand you were rolled by the press and used again by the most corrupt administration ever.

Turns out one of them was armed and someone else ended up dead. Ensue media firestorm. This was a case of manslaughter from the beginning, but overzealous prosecutors went for broke and lost with the attention of everyone. Lots of losses all around, including sanity, justice, and a young teen of who may have been troubled. In the end, America proves with lots of attention we can't get anything right.

Obligatory umpteenth opinion about the Zimmerman case. Hopefully this a level headed response. Did I think Zimmerman committed a crime? Yes? Did he profile Treyvon Martin? Probably. Did Zimmerman need to start the confrontation? No. Did I think both parties escalated the confrontation? Yes. Does this constitute second degree murder? No. I feel this is a case of overzealous nobody neighborhood watchman needed to confront kid who was angry he was confronted and therefore both felt the need to "stand their ground." Turns out one of them was armed and someone else ended up dead. Ensue media firestorm. This was a case of manslaughter from the beginning, but overzealous prosecutors went for broke and lost with the attention of everyone. Lots of losses all around, including sanity, justice, and a young teen of who may have been troubled. In the end, America proves with lots of attention we can't get anything right. A man who was guilty of something walks free. So tired of this case.

TL: DR

I hate Florida. Yes I said it. Glad some people agree.

Pretty much agree with this. There are things both of them could have done differently. Is he guilty of 2nd degree murder? No. Is he a really shitty person. Yea. 

Odds of Martin's family filing a civil suit a la the Goldman family against OJ? I'd guess it would be pretty high (and that they'd be successful).

They could find ground for that, but I'm not sure what they'd get since:

1. OJ has a lot more personal valuable assets than Zimmerman does, to which there was assigned monetary value.

2. Florida

Can there be an appeal on this? I'm guessing this trial was done on a local level.

I was thinking this exact same thing. But I have no idea, my knowledge about the court system and all of this is very very limited.

So I'm "friends" with a girl on Facebook. She was a friend of one of my exes. They both actually live down in Florida now. Here are some of her statuses:

2ns17dk.png

6s6eme.png

11griat.png

There's a difference between double jeopardy and appealing to a higher judicial power.

You could appeal a conviction, not an acquittal. Once you're off you're off. You also may be thinking about civil suits that challenge the constitutionality of laws. Those judgements could be appealed. A criminal case that resulted in an acquittal can not. 

I was just wondering how long it would take for VC's secret pseudo-racists to come out of the woodwork for this thread.

Now we just need to get that homophobe dude, Saxonwhatever, to chime in about how HIV was the cause of this.