36 Things Vinyl Collectors Love

Yeah, I think I like about 4 or 5 things on that list.  The rest I can say I genuinely don't care about or even dislike. Fuckin' buzzfeed.

#34) Just watching the record spin and being sorta amazed that you’re hearing music stored on tiny little grooves.

Somebody get whoever wrote this a Pulitzer!

Say what you want but I actually still find this process absolutely mystifying. You know when there was that thread about cutting Radiohead songs into grooves on wood discs? I can't believe that PVC makes playback sound like anything above that quality. It doesn't make any legit sense to me even though I've done endless research on the process. I've always felt that vinyl playback should be a faint and vague sonic replication of the audio pressed into it but it actually manages to be wildly faithful to real sounds. It still blows my mind.

Record fairs are a big one. It's nice to be able to mingle about with fellow hobbyists for a couple of days who all share similar interests. I've made several new friends this way and always look forward to upcoming shows, even if the dealers end up carrying little vinyl that I'd buy. One I'll add myself is -- the lack of easy fast forwarding, rewinding, and track searching/playlists. I think this does help with listening to albums in their entirety, which does seem to be a bit of a lost art now with the average person now only listening to a track or two at a time of a particular artist before moving onto something else. With vinyl, I find myself fully engaged in the music and the music only.

The thing I love most is staying in my room listening to music and never telling anyone I have a record collection, for fear I'll be lumped in with the kind of people who show off their "scores" consisting of sealed Vampire Weekend albums on Instagram, and post things like this list to their Facebook wall to remind their friends that they are hip and different.