PO: Nirvana - In Utero (3LP 20th Anniversary)

That Albini interview was really interesting. He mentioned that Nevermind got deluxe anniversary 45 RPM treatment, but that was wrong right?

The 'band' doing a 2013 remix still sounds a little odd(?) to me even if it might be interesting. I don't know how they can really do that w/o the main creative force being around for it. And Pat didn't even play on the record.

I dunno if I've heard any remixes like that that have come out all that cool tho. The only ones I really remember are the Megadeth ones Dave did and they were just weird and disconcerting to listen to.

Great interview, definitely wanna pick this up now. Sounds like they really did all they could to do it "right". I still have a few reservations about the sound quality but these will only be due to the style of mastering, I'm sure that these will end up being phenomenal. May end up selling my ORG!

Although he was wrong about Nevermind getting this kind of reissue. Maybe it was planned and just never came out? I WISH Nevermind got the 45 treatment.

The perfect Nevermind:

45 RPM 2 LP

Transparent blue vinyl

All analog, DMM mastered

Lock groove at the end of Something In The Way, with Endless Nameless as a hidden track cut afterwards.

This would be an awesome release.

I should edit this to include being mastered by Bernie Grundman. His presentation of this album on ORG was really the first to do it real justice. A polished production but he gave it some real punchy low end and detailed, crisp highs - that's his general mastering style and it fits Nirvana's music perfectly. That energy and power has been lost on my ears on all other versions. The main benefit of the DMM cut in this case would be to allow for that small increase in available playtime/level per side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My local record store (looney tunes) along with 2 others are doing this tattoo pop up shop thing where you get a tat of the nirvana smiley when you buy the remaster. No matter which configuration, even the $11 1cd.

Too bad I'm not into tats. I'd totally split the cost of the 45RPM 50/50, I get the record for cheaps, someone else gets a cheap tattoo, but I don't know anyone who'd be down for this.

My local record store (looney tunes) along with 2 others are doing this tattoo pop up shop thing where you get a tat of the nirvana smiley when you buy the remaster. No matter which configuration, even the $11 1cd.

Too bad I'm not into tats. I'd totally split the cost of the 45RPM 50/50, I get the record for cheaps, someone else gets a cheap tattoo, but I don't know anyone who'd be down for this.

That is one hell of a promotion

I want this. I am not a Nirvana fan but love In Utero and don;t have it on vinyl. My problem is I don;t want to pay for the album and find it;s a crap pressing. I wish they'd announce not just who remastered the album but who is pressing it and even who cut it. Right now I'm thinking that the US pressings from Universal tend to be of a higher quality than the European because in Europe they tend to get GZ to do the presswork. Their Back to Black series is awful in Europe because of it. I'd like to pre-order it, but am ill placed to do so.

:(

It was remastered at Abby Road Studios and supervised by Steve Albini himself. He did an interview on the Komplete Kontrol podcast and talked about it. I forget if he mentioned where it was pressed though. But he said the test pressings sound amazing and this is the closest to listening to the album live in the studio possible.