PO: Nirvana - In Utero (3LP 20th Anniversary)

Adam10647, on 26 Sept 2013 - 6:46 PM, said:snapback.png

So dumb question in the 3xLP release the 2013 mix?

I

Yes.

No, it is NOT the 2013 MIX. It is a new REMASTER for 2013, but it is not the 2013 MIX that appears on CD 2 of the deluxe editions. The 3LP set is a vinyl master of what appears on CD 1 of the Deluxe editions. The new 2013 MIX is NOT available on vinyl.

A major label reissue actually done properly... This is a top notch job in all respects, even the digital version, which I downloaded last night. They learned from their mistakes on Nevermind. I hope Nevermind gets a 25th anniversary package redone more like this. I can't wait to pick up the vinyl and I'll probably be selling my ORG cream or offering it for trade. The general consensus is that it's a very very close contender, and both are just about on the same level. The OrG is starting to go for some eBay craziness prices too... Unbelievable.

I must admit, that this is the best sounding vinyl remaster I've heard, and probably one of the best sounding vinyl i own - the sound is absolutelly phenomal, clear and at the same time punchy and gut crushing. This version of In Utero should be played to anyone saying "what is the point of purchasing vinyl nowadays?" Steve Albini is THE MAN...

I hope Nevermind gets a 25th anniversary package redone more like this.

this.

I must admit, that this is the best sounding vinyl remaster I've heard, and probably one of the best sounding vinyl i own - the sound is absolutelly phenomal, clear and at the same time punchy and gut crushing. This version of In Utero should be played to anyone saying "what is the point of purchasing vinyl nowadays?" Steve Albini is THE MAN...

Great to hear!

Steve Albini is THE MAN...

Indees. Steve is one of my favorite people in music. Can't wait for the new Shellac record! I downloaded this version of In Utero last night and I am in love.

This version of In Utero should be played to anyone saying "what is the point of purchasing vinyl nowadays?" Steve Albini is THE MAN...

I get what you are saying, but the problem with this statement is that the digital versions of this are equally as well done as the vinyl. So telling some that vinyl listening is superior based on this release is flawed. Releases that exhibit a huge disparity between formats like Icky Thump, for example, are much better suited for your point. But in reality it has less to do with format and more to do with mastering, as this new In Utero shows.

This release goes more to show how unnecessary the loudness war and brick walling of music really is. Both digital and vinyl versions sound great!

I get what you are saying, but the problem with this statement is that the digital versions of this are equally as well done as the vinyl. So telling some that vinyl listening is superior based on this release is flawed. Releases that exhibit a huge disparity between formats like Icky Thump, for example, are much better suited for your point. But in reality it has less to do with format and more to do with mastering, as this new In Utero shows.

This release goes more to show how unnecessary the loudness war and brick walling of music really is. Both digital and vinyl versions sound great!

You may be right, I haven't listened to the digital copy yet (no code for download in european version of the vinyl), but still my point was, that if vinyl is mastered and pressed the way it should be, no other format can compete in terms of sound quality. one can argue about what has more impact on the sound quality (I agree with you - mastering is more important) but combining good mastering with vinyl fomat- this is as good as it can get.

But in reality it has less to do with format and more to do with mastering, as this new In Utero shows.

Vinyl mastering is very important. Trying to say that vinyl's perceived superiority over other formats is misjudged, but I understand where you;re coming from. There is inherent supriority, but it needs to be unlocked by the engineer and the lacquer needs to be cut properly or the mastering technician needs to master correctly for DMM. Trying to say it's all about mastering is partly true, but trying to say it;s nothing to do with the format is not credible. For the record most modern vinyl sounds inferior to the CD due to production values and automated vinyl mastering which results in flat sounding and not noisy records. See Plain Recordings output via Rainbo Records when the mastering was done in house, see the same of GZ/Pirates Press. Both plants output is massive but woeful if not supplied with plates made by reputable engineers.

combining good mastering with vinyl fomat- this is as good as it can get.

Precisely.

Adam10647, on 26 Sept 2013 - 6:46 PM, said:snapback.png

No, it is NOT the 2013 MIX. It is a new REMASTER for 2013, but it is not the 2013 MIX that appears on CD 2 of the deluxe editions. The 3LP set is a vinyl master of what appears on CD 1 of the Deluxe editions. The new 2013 MIX is NOT available on vinyl.

Fuck, just listened to the 2013 MIX and I'm fuckin digging it, finally a new take on the whole "remaster".  Would love to have it on analog.