Simple | Worry-free Alternative to Traditional Banking

I have simple and I love it. Only pain in the ass is cashing large checks, but I have a chase account for my business so it's not a problem. .

But you can text customer service, set up saving goals and oh yeah my ATM network is essentially every gas station in the USA.

Send me a PM if anyone a invite,

What's the switching process like? My only concern is that I have ~7 different accounts with my bank with my retirement, credit cards, business, and personal so switching all those seems a little daunting. Also do they offer interest? Because while I don't get much from my bank the extra 4 or so dollars I do get is nice.

What's the switching process like? My only concern is that I have ~7 different accounts with my bank with my retirement, credit cards, business, and personal so switching all those seems a little daunting. Also do they offer interest? Because while I don't get much from my bank the extra 4 or so dollars I do get is nice.

They only offer a simple checking account, not of that other stuff! It's just a checking account and debit card, that's it.

they do offer interest though,

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been using this for an extended period of time, what do you think? How easy is it to switch a normal bank account over (I haven't "switched" bank accounts, ever)

Enjoy your invite. I still have lots of stuff linked to my Wells Fargo account so I haven't fully switched over, but probably the best part about the service is the interface through the website/app. It's super modern, clean, and easy to use, so linking accounts and paying bills is really easy. The goals function is great too, you just choose how much money you want by whatever time and it takes a certain amount of money out of your main account to you goal every day until it's complete. And if an emergency pops up, you can move your goal money back to spending money in one click--no waiting for transfers or other BS. The customer service is amazing and I can't really say enough good things about the service. I've had zero issue and I've been using it since last August.

PLUS at the end of the year it's kinda cool to sift through all your tags to see how much you spent on records, fast food, etc., to help tailor your budget. Anyway, hope you like it as much as I do. 

You can deposit money orders. From what I've read, that's the easiest way. They cost $.59 at Kroger (cheapest place I know in Michigan). Making deposits with a smartphone camera seems pretty convenient.

I'm dropping my checking account and moving to this for paying bills and managing my "coke and whores" money. Keeping with my credit union for everything else, since I've had it since I was a teen and it's good for my credit.

Enjoy your invite. I still have lots of stuff linked to my Wells Fargo account so I haven't fully switched over, but probably the best part about the service is the interface through the website/app. It's super modern, clean, and easy to use, so linking accounts and paying bills is really easy. The goals function is great too, you just choose how much money you want by whatever time and it takes a certain amount of money out of your main account to you goal every day until it's complete. And if an emergency pops up, you can move your goal money back to spending money in one click--no waiting for transfers or other BS. The customer service is amazing and I can't really say enough good things about the service. I've had zero issue and I've been using it since last August.

PLUS at the end of the year it's kinda cool to sift through all your tags to see how much you spent on records, fast food, etc., to help tailor your budget. Anyway, hope you like it as much as I do. 

Thanks so much, man. Looking forward to switching over away from Chase. Just their website alone is god awful, not to mention they charge you if you take out of your savings too many times or don't put anything into savings on a regular basis. And my favorite part is when you use a non-Chase ATM, you get hit by a fee at the ATM, and Chase is nice enough to hit you with an additional fee of their own.

I avoid brick and mortars like the plague so it won't be too much of a shock to do strictly online banking.

and it really just hit me how shitty Chase is.

I'm not sure if it ever actually happened but the European Central Bank was considering negative interest rates on savings. It was viewed as a way to stimulate their economy (negative rates create incentive for banks to loan money instead of hoard it). 

They used to be happy to hold your money so that they could gamble it on subprime loans and a bunch of other high risk/high return investments. Now there is less incentive for them to hold your debt and more incentive to gouge with fees.

Still probably a better system as a whole -- obviously the previous state was not the way to go.

not to mention they charge you if you take out of your savings too many times or don't put anything into savings on a regular basis.

This is a federal regulation regarding the savings account. Not necessarily a bank decision to just add fees on.

Also after reading that article on Lifehacker, Simple isn't offering anything that you can't do with Bank of America with the exception of the Goals feature moving money for you. However, that is also something you can do for yourself if you were really feeling inclined to actually save and keep money set aside... like an adult.

Interesting to see these new options in the marketplace though. Curious to see where it goes.

It'll be really interesting to see if it becomes enough of a game changer that traditional banks take notice and try to do similar things.

I was already thinking of dumping my checking and going to a prepaid card system anyway. This just has more options. Though now that I'm reading about people being denied for accounts, that's what I'm worried about.

However, that is also something you can do for yourself if you were really feeling inclined to actually save and keep money set aside... like an adult.

I put money aside a lot which is part of the reason I think I'll like Simple so much. It will make what I already do more personalized and user friendly.

I didn't know the bit about savings accounts. I thought Chase was just being a dick by charging me fees unless I have $15,000.

Though now that I'm reading about people being denied for accounts, that's what I'm worried about.

When I signed up, it said it would take a few business days to get approval and that applications were rarely denied. I got an e-mail an hour later telling me to get started and create my username, etc. It was super fast.