PO: Fuzz [Ty Segall] (Deluxe ltd 250, clear & light blue available)

dreamwolf

I'll agree it was a bit deceptive that they had more than the 250, but the only people who would care about that sort of thing are people planning to flip, or people who really only care about how collectable their collection is. If you felt forced to buy it because it was limited and you felt it was gonna go quick, there is something wrong there. 

Wow. Succinctly saying just what I was trying to get across. I mean that in a sincere and positive way.

So it's not OK for Daytrotter to lie about pressing numbers, but it is OK for In The Red to lie about pressing numbers?

Seems like the people defending In The Red probably missed out on the initial order.

FWIW, I ordered the $50 version and was mildly upset at the increased pressing numbers. Not because I want to flip it, but because I expect a company to be honest about such things and not try for another cash grab. I am happy to be receiving this even with the increased numbers, but I wish they would have been honest about the pressing numbers, or not mentioned them at all.

Lying is pretty harsh. I think they had planned on a certain amount and when they saw how fast they went, the figured they could provide more people with the chance to score a copy. I'm defending them because I feel like they've done nothing wrong. I do think the velvet cover is cool and would dig having one but there is no way I'm spending $50 on a brand new record just because the cover is awesome. I didn't miss out. I waited until they had only black vinyl left so I could get that edition. I got the standard edition deliberately. I'm not saying its ok for labels to lie about things but in the end try and think about and take stock of what In The Red "lied about" and how much does it really matter in the grand scheme of not even your life but just the records you own. You should have only spent the money if you wanted the product for what it is physically and functionally unto itself and your direct interaction with the particular piece that you will now own. Not because of how many were going to exist.

I don't remember seeing the number as an intentional selling point by the label. They simply disclosed how many were available. I don't remember seeing anything about a guarantee that the edition would never have more copies pressed. If you do have proof that they said any of that then maybe you could consider the initial number a lie but if not, it was simply the plan at the time. The fanbase reacted and the plan changed. So more people will have a record. End of story.

I know nothing of the Daytrotter scenario you are referencing.

But look at what misery the people with those opinions are causing themselves. Seriously, I implore those who are butt-broken over this number thing to re-evaluate the importance.

And I don't think its closed-minded. I have evaluated every argument I've seen about this and processed it and formulated a thoughtful response. These people create the collectible aspect of this market by obsessing over the numbers.

Really?

Yup. By it's very nature these days, it's a limited format. What's your point in collecting records? And why, if given the chance to buy a pressing that's a little more rare than another, would you pass it up? If you're trying to maintain some elitist "I don't care about limited editions" thing, you're already wrong, because like I said, the entire format is limited. Just go download it and be done if you only want the music.

I'll agree it was a bit deceptive that they had more than the 250, but the only people who would care about that sort of thing are people planning to flip, or people who really only care about how collectable their collection is. If you felt forced to buy it because it was limited and you felt it was gonna go quick, there is something wrong there. 

Your statement is only half true. I care about them lying about the pressing info, but it's not because I intend to flip it. I am, however, someone who cares about how collectible my collection is. What's the point in collecting if you're not out for the best, most top notch collection there is? Whether it's baseball cards, stamps, or records, why wouldn't you want the rarest variation? Whether it's a manufactured scarcity as in this case, or an unintentional one, like a Beatles butcher cover?

I've been collecting for a very long time, and I'm proud of my collection. This record would have been, and will be, a welcome addition to my collection, whether it's out of 250 or 10,000. But, if there is a copy more rare, as is the case now, I would have also bought that one. Why? Because I collect records! I don't feel like a vinyl forum should be anywhere I feel like I need to defend myself, and that's the strangest part.

At the end of the day, had they not put out any pressing info, this wouldn't be an issue. The fact that they did, and it was a fabrication, is the problem. Did they think that Ty Segall would not have been able to move 500 records at $50 each? This doesn't make any sense, and it's bad business to be misleading, whether it's how many were pressed, or what color it is, or if it's a gatefold sleeve, or if Ty Segall licked each one. It's bullshit to lie about it.

And I've looked at a few of the deadformat links to some of you saying that limited editions don't matter... So please explain why I see so many "variants" listed? Tour pressings, test pressing, numbered pressings... seems hypocritical.

Yup. By it's very nature these days, it's a limited format. What's your point in collecting records? And why, if given the chance to buy a pressing that's a little more rare than another, would you pass it up? If you're trying to maintain some elitist "I don't care about limited editions" thing, you're already wrong, because like I said, the entire format is limited. Just go download it and be done if you only want the music.

Maybe some people like having something tangible and its as simple as that. Ive never got into this thinking "I'm happy this stuff is so rare". I got into this because I thought the format was cool and I enjoyed it. I understand there is a finite-ness to the format. But most people don't buy a LP and think "Sweet. I got 1 of 15,000!!!!"

Your statement is only half true. I care about them lying about the pressing info, but it's not because I intend to flip it. I am, however, someone who cares about how collectible my collection is. What's the point in collecting if you're not out for the best, most top notch collection there is? Whether it's baseball cards, stamps, or records, why wouldn't you want the rarest variation? Whether it's a manufactured scarcity as in this case, or an unintentional one, like a Beatles butcher cover?

I've been collecting for a very long time, and I'm proud of my collection. This record would have been, and will be, a welcome addition to my collection, whether it's out of 250 or 10,000. But, if there is a copy more rare, as is the case now, I would have also bought that one. Why? Because I collect records! I don't feel like a vinyl forum should be anywhere I feel like I need to defend myself, and that's the strangest part.

I don't have a problem with people chasing records. I've done it. But I'm also not losing my shit if the label decides to press 100 more or act like some golden rule has been broken. 

I bought the $50 deluxe version. I was happy to. Ty and Charlie are great. ITR is great. Do I give a shit that there was another 250 in Fuzz's van and then ITR ordered 250 more. No. I don't give a shit about the other 699 people. My issue is that people have a problem with another 500 people joining the club. And getting bothered by that is really fucking weird. 

Collect records because they are rare. Thats cool But don't get bent out of shape. 

You have a valid opinion. But when you give your opinion and then state "end of story", it comes off a little closed minded. And I am not "butt-broken", just mildly annoyed. I hope you see that my opinion is valid as well, even though it is not the same opinion you have.

My end of story comment was for the recounting of the factual aspects of what happened with the pressing of this particular variant. I did not mean to imply that my perspective is above anyone else's. That part was just regarding the actions that were taken without being colored by delusions of deception on ITR's part.

Of course your opinion is valid. The world is full of people who have valid opinions. It just seems to me like people are acting like the label somehow extorted money from you and you're making a federal case out of the quantity of a record. Like I said, the collect-ability of a record is all in the minds of the people who make a big deal about the rarity of the record. Please give me a logical explanation as to why it matters how many the total is.

I can't even believe we're debating this. In all the time that I've been buying records (to play them) I have never felt the urge to buy the rarest one (because I can or whatever the reason) and just for the fact that its the rarest one. If I want a certain record in a certain color, it may very well be the rarest one in the pressing but that's not the reason I want it. I want it because I like the color or the way the jacket is unique from the rest or whatever the case may be. I have never needed to have a record that is the rarest in a pressing just because it is the rarest in the pressing. That thought or desire has never ever ever inhabited me. To me, that type of craving is something that is reserved for baseball (or comic book, etc.) cards and coins and other bullshit people collect simply for the sake of collecting. I buy a record because its the best sounding version and because its in the best possible condition that I can find it in so that I can enjoy playing the music and/or looking at the art.

The people upset about the limitation seem to be the type of people who regard their records as investments in collectibles for simply the sake of having a valuable collection of collectibles. It comes off as incredibly neurotic and there's nothing wrong with that ostensibly but if this is the sort of thing that's upsetting or even annoying people in the slightest, perhaps there's a legitimate condition people have. I'm really not trying to be facetious about this.

Most labels press music on vinyl because they believe in the format and so that others who do can enjoy their favorite music on that format and the label can sell units to stay afloat. Most labels are not here to help you pad your collectible collection of super-rare presses. Its just a child's game and getting worked up about the fact you will be less special for owning a record than you thought you'd be makes you (the general "you") just seem like a big baby who didn't end up having the rarest Pokemon card.

I'm not trying to be aggressive here. I'm just trying to express my perspective. I particularly don't like seeing labels demonized for pressing more records or specific versions of records that are in demand.

Maybe some people like having something tangible and its as simple as that. Ive never got into this thinking "I'm happy this stuff is so rare". I got into this because I thought the format was cool and I enjoyed it. I understand there is a finite-ness to the format. But most people don't buy a LP and think "Sweet. I got 1 of 15,000!!!!"

I don't have a problem with people chasing records. I've done it. But I'm also not losing my shit if the label decides to press 100 more or act like some golden rule has been broken.

I bought the $50 deluxe version. I was happy to. Ty and Charlie are great. ITR is great. Do I give a shit that there was another 250 in Fuzz's van and then ITR ordered 250 more. No. I don't give a shit about the other 699 people. My issue is that people have a problem with another 500 people joining the club. And getting bothered by that is really fucking weird.

Collect records because they are rare. Thats cool But don't get bent out of shape.

the other 749

Bought a deluxe for me and a friend to save on postage charges to Australia but found a paypal email stating "Sorry but I must issue you a refund for 1 of the Fuzz Deluxe LPs. We have to limit it to 1 per customer due to such high demand. If you want to be on the mailing list to buy 1 more copy in a month or so, please let me know."

This is all nonsense. I hope ITR makes another 1000 fuzzy covers. 

Agreed.

"wahh, other people have this too!"

for those worried who else on the planet has this, divide 750/7120000000. 

.00096054982% of the world. You'll be fine.

y'all make me think of Patton Oswalt:

"THE ONLY WAY SKY CAKE TASTES GOOD IS IF, UP IN THE SKY, THE SKY COOKIE AND SKY PIE PEOPLE CAN'T HAVE THE SKY PIE! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY SKY CAKE TASTES GOOD!"