Worst way to ever receive an LP...

So today, I received two LP's (Daylight's Jar and Thrice's Identity Crisis, both first pressing incase anyone was curious). I bought IC from someone on here, and it was a total pleasure to work with her, got my LP quickly and in great condition. Can't say the same for Jar, which I bought from a guy on a "merchswap" facebook group.

The record was "packaged" between two bent slabs of cardboard, with the jacket of the LP being exposed in various spots, with tape touching the jacket. On top of that, there was no bubble wrap or a flat piece of cardboard inside to keep it flat. It was so difficult to open it up with a knife, without damaging the jacket. The corners were bent (more than usual), the spine of the jacket was bent, and there were scratches on the back of it. I also asked for a tracking number and he didn't send me one, even though he paid for it. 

Luckily, the record was okay. Still, I could not believe what I came home to. What a joke.

3njz2ek.jpgZVmv574.jpgfL9M6hd.jpgqLN3lSj.jpg

I bought a first pressing of Panic at the Disco- Fever on Ebay. Came stuffed in a yellow envelope. I was so fucking angry. I even explained, in detail, exactly how to properly ship a record. I even sent them links that had pictures of how to do everything.

Was the guy all "LOL What the fuck am I doing? How do you even ship vinylz?"

In case anyone was wondering, Merch Swap is definitely bad news. I too bought a record from someone on there, and he literally taped WRAPPING PAPER around the sleeve, wrote my address on it, and shipped it out. No cardboard involved whatsoever. You can imagine how it showed up. 

So yeah, I repeat myself, avoid merch swap.

It's really hard to find LP mailers in Australia - you can't just go out any buy anything that is a suitable size. I usually keep some old ones I receive from orders I place online in case I need to send something out.

Having said that, if I don't have any LP mailers, I have used the recycled cardboard taped together method. But much more protected than that. If I do use this method;

Vinyl is outside the cover, inside the plastic sleeve.

The plastic sleeve is covered with another plastic sleeve to ensure nothing slips out

I tape the LP to an oversized piece of card, ensuring no movement in transit

The oversized card is packed in a flatpack cardboard box, usually with another piece of card inside to maintain shape.

It works well for comics too!

Also someone on here mailed me a record in a bubble mailer a while back and it showed up with pretty bent corners. I expressed my dissatisfaction to him and got an "I'm sorry, is there anything I can do to make up for it?" to which I responded it would be cool if he refunded me just a few bucks since he shipped it like a dolt and damaged it. Obviously I never got a reply after that. 

Guest Justin Maheiny

I found some dude from Japan about 12 years ago selling a copy of the Gravediggaz 1st album w/ the Niggamortis cover before they switched it to 6 Feet Deep for 15 bucks which was a pretty good price. The record appeared packaged fine but the dickhead mailman taco'd it and shoved it into my mailbox. Was the kind of vertical mailbox you need a key to open that apartment complexes have.

I didn't know what the hell was wrong with the mailbox when I went to open it cuz it felt like something was pushing against the mailbox door from the inside. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. I can't imagine how difficult it was to shove in there and why this guy thought it was the right thing to do.

The post office reimbursed me for it but I've never been able to find another copy of it any where near 15 bucks.

a few years back, i was unbelievably excited to score a blood splatter of alkaline trio - goddamnit for $35 on ebay. couldn't wait for it to arrive. then when, it finally did, was totally devastated. the douchenugget who i bought it from shipped it in (i kid you not) flimsy cardboard disney princess toy packaging placed inside of a bubble mailer. needless to say, it got totally fucked on its way to me. a huge chunk was taken out of it, going through the bubble mailer, princess packaging (shocking) and then all the way through the plastic sleeve, outer sleeve, inner sleeve, and into the record itself. the thing was warped as hell and had a huge gouge going across all the songs on one side. 

i emailed the dude and tried to be nice, but he got all huffy insisting that it wasn't his fault since that was how he always shipped records and that i was the first complaint he ever had. 

i still don't own that record :(

the sadness...

10302042536_5ef4becec9.jpg

10302042406_6c0eb3ef68.jpg

10302032675_f2b3d8290d.jpg

10302164763_34103bc309.jpg

10302044625_4b4d1f8ac7.jpg

10302164863_d2267bc14a.jpg

a few years back, i was unbelievably excited to score a blood splatter of alkaline trio - goddamnit for $35 on ebay. couldn't wait for it to arrive. then when, it finally did, was totally devastated. the douchenugget who i bought it from shipped it in (i kid you not) flimsy cardboard disney princess toy packaging placed inside of a bubble mailer. needless to say, it got totally fucked on its way to me. a huge chunk was taken out of it, going through the bubble mailer, princess packaging (shocking) and then all the way through the plastic sleeve, outer sleeve, inner sleeve, and into the record itself. the thing was warped as hell and had a huge gouge going across all the songs on one side. 

i emailed the dude and tried to be nice, but he got all huffy insisting that it wasn't his fault since that was how he always shipped records and that i was the first complaint he ever had. 

i still don't own that record :(

the sadness...

10302042536_5ef4becec9.jpg

10302042406_6c0eb3ef68.jpg

10302032675_f2b3d8290d.jpg

10302164763_34103bc309.jpg

10302044625_4b4d1f8ac7.jpg

10302164863_d2267bc14a.jpg

This one is worthy of the thread title. Bummer.

Just saying most of the people using merch swap are kids who have single handily put themselves in the hole from buying too much merch so they trade shirts for shirts etc. Definitely not defending shipping something out like the guy did but that group plus coreshirts4sale on Instagram is kinda rinky dink stuff.

In case anyone was wondering, Merch Swap is definitely bad news. I too bought a record from someone on there, and he literally taped WRAPPING PAPER around the sleeve, wrote my address on it, and shipped it out. No cardboard involved whatsoever. You can imagine how it showed up. 

So yeah, I repeat myself, avoid merch swap.

I've bought at least 15 records from 4 different people on there and not ran into a problem yet.   if you don't know who you are dealing with make sure beforehand they understand how to package items and make sure they aren't just going to throw it in a plastic bag and send it on its way.

there are definitely a lot of idiots in that group, but every once and a while you will run across some alright people. (same as anywhere really).  it is definitely somewhere I'd be more cautious buying from - not send shit as a gift, and be annoying with asking questions and making sure you and the other person are on the same page for buying/selling/trading.