The Beer Thread

Had Modern Times the other week with attackconquer, good stuff

modern-times-beer.jpg

I enjoyed the Fortunate Islands and Black House!

Yeah their stuff is great and the branding is even better haha. They were actually the impetus for the last beer I made. An all Brett IPA I'm calling "Bret(t) 'The Hitman' Hop"

Also a bit of knowledge on those dudes; a lot of their beers are actually from a phenomenal homebrewer out of DC, Michael Tonsmeire aka The Mad Fermentationist. He sort of ghost writes recipes for Modern Times. Also, if any of y'all are homebrewers with even a slight interest in sour/funky beer, make sure to read Tonsmeire's blog [link] http://www.themadfermentationist.com/?m=1[/link]

The guy is super knowledgeable, and actually has a book on sours/wild ales coming out this month.

That stuff costs.

i was in Florida a couple weeks ago visiting friends and i came across some Dogfish Head World Wide stout, pretty cool to see it out and about, I would've loved to try it but at like $40 for four bottles I couldn't justify it. i dig Dogfish and would've loved to take down a 20% stout but ehhhhh, if i was in my hometown i might've since i could've saved the bottles. 

my preference is likely IPAs/pale ales or stouts but i'll drink everything else from barleywine to or cerveza, even malt liquor has its time and place in my life.....

to namedrop another one of my favorite lesser known breweries, anyone here have anything from Maine Brewing Company? They don't ship far out of the north east but every type of beer they have, from porters to stouts to their several pale ale variations, is mind blowingly good. they need to start getting out some six packs instead of just single bottles, i can't wait to make my annual trip to northern tundra this summer and pick up a bunch of bottles at the brewery. 

yeah, Foothills has some seriously gross offerings (Sorry Torch Pilsner and Hoppyum), but all in all, their beers are real solid. Jade is one of my top 5 IPAs in the state. Plus every year Sexual Chocolate (and BBL Sexual Chocolate) get released, the beer world's collective boner gets real big, haha. I just looked and given how saturated they are in NC, I was surprised to find out they are only in 4 states (and DC, but DC doesn't count. they get everything).

so true lol, they have some pretty BAD stuff but the Jade and Hoppyum is about as good as it gets for a middle of the road IPA. as you say very solid, you can pound that stuff pretty efficiently. i too am really fond of the Jade. i'm heading back to Wilmington tonight and I can't wait to grab a few bottles. 

i'll check out those other brews you mentioned!

i was in Florida a couple weeks ago visiting friends and i came across some Dogfish Head World Wide stout, pretty cool to see it out and about, I would've loved to try it but at like $40 for four bottles I couldn't justify it. i dig Dogfish and would've loved to take down a 20% stout but ehhhhh, if i was in my hometown i might've since i could've saved the bottles. 

Worth it. They were $15 a bottle when I finally found it. I'd love to grab a few more, but its hard to justify at that price. I would at $10 a pop though.

Weekly Recap:

New Belgium - Tip 19 Taylor Shellfish Farms Oyster Stout

New Belgium - La Folie 2014

Deschutes - River Ale

Justice Brewing - Sweet and Sour

Justice Brewing - 13 Questions Pale

Whitewall Brewing - Oxymoron Black IPA

Skookum Brewing - Breakfast of Crows

Dogfish Head - Namaste

Off Color - Rats in the Ashes 

Worthy Brewing - Eruption Imperial Red

Speakeasy Ales - Big Daddy IPA

Uncommon Brewing - Bacon Brown Ale

Brickyard Brewing  - Brickyard IPA

Almanac Beer Co - Golden Gate Gose

Amnesia Brewing - ESB

Old Schoolhouse - Ruud Awakening IPA

Orlison Brewing - Pilsner 37

La Folie 2014 and Rats in the Ashes were probably my favorites of the bunch. The Almanac Gose was great of course, but I won't count that since i've had it a few times already. 

What's the startup cost to brewing your own beer?

What all is needed?

#curious

You can go to whole foods and get the start up Brooklyn Brewing Co kit. It comes with everything you need for like 40 bucks (i think 40). Then you can see how you like it. Or if you have a local home brew shop, they also have starter kits that come with everything. To start out from nothing with a 1 gallon brew it should be 60-100 bucks depending on what you buy.

You can go to whole foods and get the start up Brooklyn Brewing Co kit. It comes with everything you need for like 40 bucks (i think 40). Then you can see how you like it. Or if you have a local home brew shop, they also have starter kits that come with everything. To start out from nothing with a 1 gallon brew it should be 60-100 bucks depending on what you buy.

Thanks, man. I'll look into it.