The Beer Thread

I'm not saying USPS is bad or never works, I've just no personal experience.

Someone around here must have some tips or dos and don'ts. Where is inputtostring?

Yeah, I've never once had a problem shipping beer, even overseas.

I've never gone the route of USPS though, just because fedex is right down the street from me, insurance is built into the price of shipping, and it isn't illegal to ship beer through them (though it is against their company policy). 

The trick is just to tell them that your package IS liquid, fragile, and perishable, but make up what it is if they ask. Usually i just say olive oil, liquid yeast samples (heh), hot sauce, etc...

Also, as far as packaging is concerned, unless you have a buttload of bubble-wrap, I usually go with the box within a box method, with newspaper padding between boxes, and newspaper, wrapped bottles. With two boxes It's a little more shock-resistant if it gets abused in transit. Some people also put each bottle in a ziplock bag and tape it shut in case a bottle breaks, but I'm not too sure if that actually works. 

So many new Untappd badges...

I'd be so down for some beer swapping.  RVA is blowing up with local craft breweries in the past year. The standout is Hardywood, which has currently has a 100 (Gingerbread stout) and 99 (Hoplar) from Beer Advocate in it's first year of business.  The pumpkin they have now is great.

Chocolate Heat kinda let me down, but Gingerbread is the jam. The BA Gingerbread is even better

Brought a pick 6 down from mikwaukee to ga.

Can't think of the names but its gonna be rad. Think they're all autumn seasonals and from WI or Milwaukee specifically

Nice!  What did you get?  Some lakefront?  Milwaukee Brewing Company?  New Glarus?  Capital?  Details....glad you stuck with Wi/Mke when picking the 6 hopefully they don't disappoint.

Nice! What did you get? Some lakefront? Milwaukee Brewing Company? New Glarus? Capital? Details....glad you stuck with Wi/Mke when picking the 6 hopefully they don't disappoint.

Ah, interest!

Forgot I took pictures so I can check:

New Glarus - Staghorn

Lakefront - Eastside Dark

Lakefront - Pumpkin Lager

Capital - Oktoberfest

Tyranena - Rocky's Revenge

Central Waters - Mudpuppy Porter

Out of that list I've had 3/6 of them. I remember staghorn being pretty good I think I gave it a 3.5/5 on untappd,  Lakefront Pumpkin was awesome probably one my wife's favorite pumpkin beers this season I gave it a 4/5.  Rocky's Revenge is was pretty good as well 3/5 on untappd bourbon barrel brews are always hit or miss with me, but I remember liking it.  I just saw the Capital Oktoberfest popping up and I'll be sure to try that one soon.  Pretty much you can't really go wrong with any of the breweries you picked. 

Out of that list I've had 3/6 of them. I remember staghorn being pretty good I think I gave it a 3.5/5 on untappd, Lakefront Pumpkin was awesome probably one my wife's favorite pumpkin beers this season I gave it a 4/5. Rocky's Revenge is was pretty good as well 3/5 on untappd bourbon barrel brews are always hit or miss with me, but I remember liking it. I just saw the Capital Oktoberfest popping up and I'll be sure to try that one soon. Pretty much you can't really go wrong with any of the breweries you picked.

Sweet! I'm pretty new to beer so I picked ones that looked cool. So far I've had lighter GA beer but I feel like these will be good

Had a glass of this last night http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1924/74122. So good, but I'm feeling it this morning. 

good stuff!

look for the Cocoa Vanilla Retribution (or if you know who's still got some, the Divine Retribution. It's a 60/40 blend of Retribution and Colossus. Insanity).

So many new Untappd badges...

I'd be so down for some beer swapping.  RVA is blowing up with local craft breweries in the past year. The standout is Hardywood, which has currently has a 100 (Gingerbread stout) and 99 (Hoplar) from Beer Advocate in it's first year of business.  The pumpkin they have now is great.

I had the Hardywood Gingerbread Stout last year (thanks to a friend in RVA) and it instantly became one of my favorite beers.  

I have shipped and received beer.  I use UPS.  The best method I have come up with is to get some of the bubblepack plastic envelopes from  UPS (or whoever) and wrap the individual bottles in it.  Then pack the bottles in a small box with styrofoam peanuts.  Pack that box in a slightly larger box with more styrofoam peanuts.  

It's not the easiest of methods, but it is certainly effective.  I have used it a minimum of five times myself and the person I am sending to usually just returns the shipping materials when they ship me beer.  

I am currently hooked on Atwater Brewery's Vanilla Java Porter.  It's a Detroit brewery.  My other current obsession is New Holland's Ichabod, their seasonal pumpkin ale. I also like a lot of Shorts' beers as well.  They only distribute in MI.

I generally stick with Michigan breweries and can usually get short run or seasonal stuff if anyone is interested in swapping.  I am in KY but go to MI every other weekend.  

Anyone have any suggestions for good mid-range beers, like <$10 for a six pack. I've been kinda bummed on beer lately. The prices keep going up while the quality goes to shit. Pretty much every time I go to the beer store I end up just picking up Yuengling or Sam Adams Octoberfest because I'm tired of getting hosed by second rate craft beers. I'm also pretty fatigued by breweries feeling the need to make all of their beers the most extreme version of a style. I just want to enjoy a nice beer or two before bed, y'know?

Anyone have any suggestions for good mid-range beers, like <$10 for a six pack. I've been kinda bummed on beer lately. The prices keep going up while the quality goes to shit. Pretty much every time I go to the beer store I end up just picking up Yuengling or Sam Adams Octoberfest because I'm tired of getting hosed by second rate craft beers. I'm also pretty fatigued by breweries feeling the need to make all of their beers the most extreme version of a style. I just want to enjoy a nice beer or two before bed, y'know?

I'm not sure if they make it down to florida but anything by Yards of Victory is in the price range and IMO are some of the best. Yards Love Stout and Victory's Lager are both phenomenal beers. 

Where are you located and what styles of beer do you prefer?  You can't go wrong with Bell's Two Hearted if you like IPA's.  

I'm not sure if they make it down to florida but anything by Yards of Victory is in the price range and IMO are some of the best. Yards Love Stout and Victory's Lager are both phenomenal beers. 

I don't think I've seen Yards but we definitely have Victory, though I'm not sure I've seen the lager. Mostly we only get Golden Monkey and Hop Devil, which are both great. A friend told me Prima Pils is great but I never see it.

Where are you located and what styles of beer do you prefer?  You can't go wrong with Bell's Two Hearted if you like IPA's.  

Two Hearted is my go to IPA. I'm in Florida. I really don't dislike any styles and am down for anything. My favorite style is sour/wild ales.

I used the drink Yuengling Black and Tan's quite a bit.  I thought they were pretty thin but good overall.

I don't think I've seen Yards but we definitely have Victory, though I'm not sure I've seen the lager. Mostly we only get Golden Monkey and Hop Devil, which are both great. A friend told me Prima Pils is great but I never see it.

Two Hearted is my go to IPA. I'm in Florida. I really don't dislike any styles and am down for anything. My favorite style is sour/wild ales.

Finding a great beer that you can drink regularly is tough because there are so many options out there.  I just try as many as I can. Unfortunately all the beers that I would suggest for regular drinking would most likely be local to Wisconsin.

I bought a 6 pack of Deschutes Jubelale Festive Winter Strong Ale last week.   I'm really enjoying it so far.  I love winter ales.

I love Jubelale!  I was so excited to see that it was back that I had to tell two people about it, only one person (my brother) was as excited as I was.

I had Good Life's Mountain Rescue Pale Ale a few days ago.  It was decent, but nothing overly special.  I was a little disappointed because Good Life's Descender IPA is so damn good, I figured their pale would be excellent as well.