The Beer Thread

Just dug this thread up to hopefully get some questions answered, I just began brewing my own beer (yesterday, actually) i went with a whisky barrel stout, does anyone have any experience with brewing this type of beer? i haven't read through the thread as it's 90+ pages but i'll read though a few pages over the next few days. If anyone has ever brewed this type of beer did you add any extra whisky or bourbon to it? I've been reading though on homebrew forums and people seem to like soaking the barrel chips in a whisky or bourbon and most have said about 6 oz for 3-4 days will do the trick. I'm debating on whether or not to do it because it's my first beer and I want to make sure everything comes out correctly. Any thoughts? 

I was hoping maybe who had some actually experience with bourbon chips could chime in, but I guess I'll have a go. Like I said, never done it myself, but every homebrew I made was just sort of loosely following any directions and they all turned out pretty great, so I dunno, go for it. If you wanna soak 'em, do it, if not, whatevs! It's still gonna be pretty good!

Just dug this thread up to hopefully get some questions answered, I just began brewing my own beer (yesterday, actually) i went with a whisky barrel stout, does anyone have any experience with brewing this type of beer? i haven't read through the thread as it's 90+ pages but i'll read though a few pages over the next few days. If anyone has ever brewed this type of beer did you add any extra whisky or bourbon to it? I've been reading though on homebrew forums and people seem to like soaking the barrel chips in a whisky or bourbon and most have said about 6 oz for 3-4 days will do the trick. I'm debating on whether or not to do it because it's my first beer and I want to make sure everything comes out correctly. Any thoughts? 

Hey, 

So personally I don't like chips. Surface area is too great, so you get sharp wood before bourbon really starts to shine in a way that you're gonna want. Plus because of the increased surface area of chips, it's REAL easy to overdo it quickly. Instead I use oak cubes soaked in bourbon. Less surface area, so the flavor takes longer to achieve (but not too long. I'm talking a week or two instead of a couple days), but it does so in a more rounded fashion. Instead of sharp oak, you get nice bourbon and oakiness. Also, as far as the wood goes:

American Oak: real big and boldly woody, lightly sweet

French Oak: Soft and more vanilla than American Oak

Hungarian Oak: Sort of in between actually. This is what I use

The last thing you need to consider is the level of toast you want on the chips, but that's just personal preference. I usually go Medium toast for darker, bigger beers, and if i don't have a 2nd or 3rd generation use barrel empty, light toast for things like barrel-fermented saisons. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news - http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2015/01/23/elysian-brewing-sold-to-anheuser-busch

Anheuser-Busch buying up microbreweries makes me so damn mad.  This one his a little closer to me, since they're a local brewery.  Just once less brand for me to look at when I go the store I guess.

• 1 month later...

I've probably mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again: if you live in California you should be drinking Modern Times beer. Their recent seasonals and special releases have been incredible (seriously, City of the Dead is one of the greatest things I've ever tasted and Booming Rollers is fantastic) and their four core beers are all very tasty. They're out of SD, but they do little takeovers and events all over Southern California.

went to maine a month or two ago, finally tried Bissell Bros as was suggested to me by someone here ages ago, most excellent. 

I also swung by the one next to it, I believe it was called foundation brewery, they had an IPA called Epiphany that was absolutely fantastic. should be canning them soon, highly recommended, definitely getting some next time I go back.

can anyone recommend me the best stuff in texas? or anything unique.... I'm in Dallas, I like Deep Ellum quite a bit, and I had TX Mosaic recently and loved it.