The Beer Thread

any chance you have a bottle of Blue BBLs or coconut Mash? Mash is awesome, and the other one sounds pretty great too.

i was preservation this past year...now im finally reserve for 2015 so I dont. but i tried coconut mash on draft and it was un fucking believable. 

i was just saying im reserve so people start caring that I need some BCBS variants haha. 

i was preservation this past year...now im finally reserve for 2015 so I dont. but i tried coconut mash on draft and it was un fucking believable. 

i was just saying im reserve so people start caring that I need some BCBS variants haha. 

word. well find me a blue bbls and maybe something else, and i've got a king henry for ya, in case you're looking for that pre bourbon county barleywine stuff ;)

alright, last time i post about this one, but i'm stoked on how it turned out.

10858514_927929385419_858808845633748596

we did 120 bottles and put em out saturday, and i believe it's mostly gone if not completely. But if any of y'all are down here in NC, Beer Study in chapel hill got all the bottles.

Noteable stuff from the weekend:

Fremont Brewing's 2014 Kentucky Dark Star: Excellent beer. Probably the best thing i've had from them. The bourbon aging showed through perfectly. I need to find another bottle. 

The Bruery's Atomic Kanagrue: Wasn't a fan. As much as I absolutely love sours, dry-hopped sours don't do it for me. Always tastes like a bad infection that they attempted to cover up with dry hopping, even if thats not the case. I pitched the dreg into my lambic for the hell of it though. We'll see.

Also, I finally got my kegging gear ready to go. Kegged my Milk Stout the other day. Pretty sure I over carbed it though. I had it at around 12.5 PSI for three days and it's spitting so much foam already haha. I dialed it down to 8 PSI or so though. The beer itself turned out great though. Probably my best yet. 

Brewing a pale this week sometime. 

alright, last time i post about this one, but i'm stoked on how it turned out.

10858514_927929385419_858808845633748596

we did 120 bottles and put em out saturday, and i believe it's mostly gone if not completely. But if any of y'all are down here in NC, Beer Study in chapel hill got all the bottles.

At the very least, that looks gorgeous!

right now the bruery is offering society members all of the sucre variants (tawny, madiera, rye, new american oak, tequila) as well as barrell aged 5 golden rings, melangie # 1(2012,2013) and sour in the rye (2013).

if anybody is interested in any of these, let me know. they are up through the end of the year or until they sell out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just dug this thread up to hopefully get some questions answered, I just began brewing my own beer (yesterday, actually) i went with a whisky barrel stout, does anyone have any experience with brewing this type of beer? i haven't read through the thread as it's 90+ pages but i'll read though a few pages over the next few days. If anyone has ever brewed this type of beer did you add any extra whisky or bourbon to it? I've been reading though on homebrew forums and people seem to like soaking the barrel chips in a whisky or bourbon and most have said about 6 oz for 3-4 days will do the trick. I'm debating on whether or not to do it because it's my first beer and I want to make sure everything comes out correctly. Any thoughts? 

so the stone stochasticity project golden stout blew my mind. it wasn't superb -- it was really good, but not elite -- but i couldn't get over how it was golden. HOW!!!!!!

so stout came to be originally just to designate "big" beers, so a pale stout is totally a thing.

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/pale-stout/

My guess is they used a buttload of oats and golden naked oats (which aren't actual oats, but actually a form of crystal malt) to give it such a big creamy body.

so stout came to be originally just to designate "big" beers, so a pale stout is totally a thing.

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/pale-stout/

My guess is they used a buttload of oats and golden naked oats (which aren't actual oats, but actually a form of crystal malt) to give it such a big creamy body.

who knew! not me. the thing is, it had strong coffee and chocolate notes, so it just felt like it should've been a lot darker. but maybe t'was the oats. damn oats!