The Beer Thread

That's got to feel pretty awesome.

I'm reading "The Audacity of Hops" right now and your story reminds me a bit of the early craft breweries trying to get their beers in stores. It's a pretty entertaining read if your a fan of the history behind things in general.

I've only got two all grain batches under my belt and I've learned so much about what to do/what not to do from both of them. I feel like every batch has gotten me closer to creating beer I'm proud to share. As a result, my Christmas list is all records and brewing equipment.

I saw this shirt the other day and I thought it was pretty funny/true:

tumblr_neub3r70OV1tde74ro1_500.png

haha nice. And yeah that's a pretty solid book for sure. Another amazing, recently-published read is "American Sour Beers" by the Mad Fermentationist, Michael Tonsmeire (www.themadfermentationist.com). It's insanely informational even if you aren't interested in messing around with sour or brett beers. I think i've burned through it 2 or 3 times by now haha.

I GOT THE DIE KREUZEN BEER. I WAS SO CLOSE TO "MEETING" THEIR LEAD SINGER. SHOULDA BEEN A DORK AND JUST BEEN ALL LIKE "HEY THIS IS COOL, CAN I GET I PICTURE WITH YOU BLEEEEAAAAAAAH *MOUTH BREATHING*"

Picked up whatever New Belgium's newest Hop Kitchen beer is.  It's ok, but that whole line kind of blurs together for me.  I also picked up an Imperial Pumpking, which I didn't even know existed.  Pretty excited to try that later.

Edit : Didn't realize that was just the regular Pumpking, guess I need to pay more attention to labels, haha.

That's awesome, Man. Congrats!!

I just scored a chest freezer off eBay earlier this week and I'm waiting for a few more parts to assemble my custom dual temperature controller, so I'm just about ready to brew a batch using proper fermentation for once. The bucket of water in the basement technique was too unpredictable.

Going with the STC1000? I ended up buying an assembled unit with the STC, but I want to build another one for my future kegerator. 

Here are a couple pictures of the fermentation chamber I built a about a month ago. I'm in love with it. 

pUywLHV.jpg

x8VejWW.jpg

CLPu3vd.jpg

Going with the STC1000? I ended up buying an assembled unit with the STC, but I want to build another one for my future kegerator. 

Here are a couple pictures of the fermentation chamber I built a about a month ago. I'm in love with it. 

Yep, STC-1000. For the price, it is impossible to beat. I'll take some pictures when I'm done with the build, although I'm sure it will look similar to the hundreds online.

That's one hell of a fermentation chamber. How many batches can you fit in there at once?

Had lots of beer this past weekend.  Spent the weekend at my buddy's apartment in State College and drank and drank.  Had some good beers and some I'd been aging, which was great. 

Standouts were:

2013 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

2013 Dogfish Head Olde School

Tröegs Blizzard of Hops (best winter IPA I've ever had)

Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout 

I also had the worst beer ever.  Clear Creek Ice.  Anyone ever heard of it?  Tastes like spoiled apples.

two best times of the year - wet-hop season followed by stout season! 

very glad i tried Victory Harvest Ale this year, especially with Founder's Harvest being pretty scarce and expensive. The Victory is much more readily available, a few dollars cheaper, and extremely delicious!

always have to get one bottle of Southern Tier Choklat when it gets cold out. nothing like drinking 10%ABV milk chocolate. 

finished up last weekend with my favorite stout from my favorite brewery, Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - one of the smoothest richest creamiest non-dairy stouts i've ever had. definitely worth the price tag!

Went to the groccery store that sells beer on the way hom today (stupid PA state rules let me tell you) made a mix and match 6 pack as well as grabbed a bottle of southern tier krwmpus which seemed to be selling like hot cakes and weyerbacher blashemy which im excited to try.

Had the abita christmas ale and thirsty dog 12 dogs of christmas ale while playing some video games and both were enjoyable.

I also had the worst beer ever. Clear Creek Ice. Anyone ever heard of it? Tastes like spoiled apples.

I used to drink this in college. It was only $6 for a 6 pack and I think 6%. It was awful but I was a poor student.

My girlfriends grandpa passed away last year and he had some of these. I thought I'd try one and after one sip I had to pour it out.

Are you in Quebec?

Yep, STC-1000. For the price, it is impossible to beat. I'll take some pictures when I'm done with the build, although I'm sure it will look similar to the hundreds online.

Finally got it finished:

29e964fd-a1b4-40af-9177-2d801472905f_zps

83811ce4-4296-4c28-88be-af1c5ffcf04b_zps

97bf17ff-4a5c-4cf4-b362-7ea05503d105_zps

010f1c81-cd19-4de2-be87-6d810de839ce_zps

I was able to get all of the hardware, wire and the lights for free from work and a buddy in IT kicked down the power plug and cord from an old PC tower, so the entire build cost me $34.00.

Now I just need to move the freezer into the basement this weekend and plan my next brew.

I can't tell from the picture, mitchard...what are you using for your heating stage?