Banksy Invades NYC

well. that one where he had that old man sell off his originals but only made under $500 has to have a few people kicking themselves.

i read an article that said:

"in a day at the park, $460 was made on 8 pieces of art, where his same work in an auction goes for six-figures"

all I could do was lol when I read that.  just shows that the name/person is worth more than the art.

"in a day at the park, $460 was made on 8 pieces of art, where his same work in an auction goes for six-figures"

all I could do was lol when I read that.  just shows that the name/person is worth more than the art.

Exactly,people are idiots that will throw money at anything if it's 'valuable'. Even the title of the video is horseshit. "Banksy sells paintings worth $40,000 for $60 each".

There is no way in the world he would have ever wanted that title. Value is a subjective term.Nothing is just "worth" $40,000.Value of anything should be decided on it's usefulness. Not just art. But anything. Your pay at your job, your car, your record collection. Value and worth are two totally seperate things.

The truck was really cool - best so far and the only that I've seen in person thanks to a friend. I like his work but much of the fervor it's kicked up here is based on name and not the quality of each individual piece of work. That said all the graff artists going out of their way to tag his work and put him down is plain hating. 

Two mornings ago I was walking to my office and there were seriously two dozen people with cameras taking pictures of a piece on Lafayette Street of Winnie the Pooh with a time bomb that has the caption "The Right to Arm Bears". They were all buzzing that it's the latest Banksy until I stopped and told it's been there a good four years and that I love seeing it every day coming off the subway. I pulled a total Debbie Downer. It was cool however to see all these people totally stoked over discovery but later I was thinking how lame that the only reason they thought this really cool piece of work, that has endured on an NYC building for FOUR YEARS (Talk about a miracle), was suddenly worth their time was due to the potential of the name attached. 

Exactly,people are idiots that will throw money at anything if it's 'valuable'. Even the title of the video is horseshit. "Banksy sells paintings worth $40,000 for $60 each".

There is no way in the world he would have ever wanted that title. Value is a subjective term.Nothing is just "worth" $40,000.Value of anything should be decided on it's usefulness. Not just art. But anything. Your pay at your job, your car, your record collection. Value and worth are two totally seperate things.

Absolutely, i think this was the point he was making with Exit Through The Gift shop, backing Mr Brainwash (who's free exhibition i went to in London last year...) publicly and watching as people snapped up his work for extortionate amounts without really having any knowledge of the artist - i believe he actually sold most of his pieces for one exhibition before it was even opened. I personally like Banksy's stuff, living in London it was hard to not stumble upon his pieces dotted about. 

Actually, I think that's exactly what he wanted.

The point being made of the BS 'name is worth more than the art' has more weight when the masses flock to that perspective.

People are upset that they missed an opportunity to own a $40,000 piece for $60, when the real point is that they weren't even worth $60 given that they didn't sell well when everyone just thought it was a knock off.  Art isn't "worth" anything inherently.

Pretty much. Just buy what you like whether its $1 or $10,000 and you'll never go wrong in any of your purchases. Shit is just so damn subjective and the whole art world is entirely about HYPE.

Honestly if I passed some old dude selling "spray art" like that, I would definitely recognize that they were Banksy pieces, but would also assume it was just some old dude making corny replicas of his pieces. And then I would proceed to tell him that Banksy probably doesn't appreciate him ripping off his pieces and trying to sell them hahaha. 

Actually, I think that's exactly what he wanted.

The point being made of the BS 'name is worth more than the art' has more weight when the masses flock to that perspective.

People are upset that they missed an opportunity to own a $40,000 piece for $60, when the real point is that they weren't even worth $60 given that they didn't sell well when everyone just thought it was a knock off.  Art isn't "worth" anything inherently.

I agree. There is definitely some inception shit going on here. Stenciled spray art on canvas are not banksy "originals". The originals are plastered on the sides of buildings all over the world. Even if "Banksy" sprayed these himself, which I'm sure he did, it's stenciled spray art. Not worth $40,000. Not worth $60.

The "collectors" who are kicking themselves for missing out on a Banksy original for $60, are the targets here. Well played Banksy, as always.

I agree. There is definitely some inception shit going on here. Stenciled spray art on canvas are not banksy "originals". The originals are plastered on the sides of buildings all over the world. Even if "Banksy" sprayed these himself, which I'm sure he did, it's stenciled spray art. Not worth $40,000. Not worth $60.

The "collectors" who are kicking themselves for missing out on a Banksy original for $60, are the targets here. Well played Banksy, as always.

Not gonna lie, his art sold the other day is nowhere near worth $40,000 to me. $60 seems much more realistic.

The truck was really cool - best so far and the only that I've seen in person thanks to a friend. I like his work but much of the fervor it's kicked up here is based on name and not the quality of each individual piece of work. That said all the graff artists going out of their way to tag his work and put him down is plain hating. 

Two mornings ago I was walking to my office and there were seriously two dozen people with cameras taking pictures of a piece on Lafayette Street of Winnie the Pooh with a time bomb that has the caption "The Right to Arm Bears". They were all buzzing that it's the latest Banksy until I stopped and told it's been there a good four years and that I love seeing it every day coming off the subway. I pulled a total Debbie Downer. It was cool however to see all these people totally stoked over discovery but later I was thinking how lame that the only reason they thought this really cool piece of work, that has endured on an NYC building for FOUR YEARS (Talk about a miracle), was suddenly worth their time was due to the potential of the name attached. 

I love that Pooh Timebomb

• 3 weeks later...