Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Yeah,  bruddah, :)

edit: Evan, get that LITE track overwith so you can tell me if you like their style better or less than Toe.  Toe is espresso; LITE is cappuccino....sorta. Smoother, not as much of the edge (in general), but still get the kick. Bad analogy, oy.

Made it through Filmlets! And I think I felt the same as I did after Installation. There were a handful of highlights, and equal parts I didn't care for. I think this band can grow on me with repeated listens, but I dunno, it just doesn't grab me like Toe does. I think the drumming in Toe puts it over the top for me. And at times, LITE was a bit too noodly for me. Like in a Loose Lips Sink Ships kind of way. Again, upon repeated listens, I could see myself getting more into LITE, but right now it doesn't warrant a vinyl purchase for me.

Made it through Filmlets! And I think I felt the same as I did after Installation. There were a handful of highlights, and equal parts I didn't care for. I think this band can grow on me with repeated listens, but I dunno, it just doesn't grab me like Toe does. I think the drumming in Toe puts it over the top for me. And at times, LITE was a bit too noodly for me. Like in a Loose Lips Sink Ships kind of way. Again, upon repeated listens, I could see myself getting more into LITE, but right now it doesn't warrant a vinyl purchase for me.

Cool! Thanks for checking them out, Evan - always good to hear folks with similar ears' and see where the divergences are - since we are not all clones thank goodness :)  

I just wrote a small novella and erased it saying that to my ears, LITE is the more melodic, catchy, riffy, memorable whole band (I can hum half a dozen tunes right now), whereas with toe, they were slightly more talented individuals, except Takashi, who dominates and drives the jazziness like Bill Bruford did with his solo projects.  New Sentimentality is the exception (again to my ears) sounding more like a LITE record, than toe, more approachable to the masses.  So that is why I had toe (and Te') all on mp3 but hesitated on vinyl 'almost' too late.

On that note, somebody buy Charlie's PINK copy of New Sentimentality before I pick up another spare that I don't neeeeeed!! :)

Pretty late in the discussion, but just remembered this closure from Fly Pan Am (don't remember who asked about).

So perfect.

Obviously.

This was so good! Keyboards have to 'just right' for me, not my favorite instrument(s), but this was grand, prob because his hands are going in different time signatures, or diverging into an improv on  the upper keys while keeping that odd time siggy going with the lower.

Does the guy in the audience at 0:38 look like a young Aidan Baker (Nadja) or what? :)

Been getting into Do Make Say Think more lately. I casually listened to them previously, but recently found Winter Hymn in a used bin so I picked it up. Real solid album. It's a good band to have on when you don't want something too loud & heavy but something that definitely keep you interested. Plus when they really start to jam out it's pretty awesome.

I posted the album on IG & one of the band members commented & said they have a new one coming out next year along with a possible tour.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with Baebel, but it's a free concert video channel I downloaded on my Roku player (looks like they have a website too). There was a DMST show on there & they sounded incredible.

Priorities amirite?

But the last thing I'd want to do is have myself or anyone else oversell Jakob to you, and have you listen to them only to think "Eh, they're good. But not nearly as you guys led me to think." Having had albums, artists, and even genres forced onto me in the past, I can attest that none of that is enjoyable. You'll listen when the time is right, and you'll likely get more enjoyment out of that than if you approached it as an assignment.

Hopefully you'll do it in time for the represses, though.

• jhulud locked this topic