Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

However it ends up, I'd just love to see the first few posts of this thread act as an index or source of music / recommendations / whatever.  Easily accessible and locked in the same spot, on the top of the first page.

I love this idea.

An organized list of everything that has been mentioned in this thread or a link to a .doc. Ideally including labels, links to bandcamps/stores/etc.

Top 10-20 artists and albums 

Honorable mentions (or hand-picked selection of maybe 3 - 5 album/artist mentions of the previous month) 

and an AOTY (however many that encompasses) that features reviews or blurbs from various members.

However it's done, a few locked posts would cover a lot of ground for new (and seasoned) post-listeners.

I am more than fine with keeping the first post updated with the entire band list. And then yeah we can use Charlie or Derek's post to list the top 10 "essential" albums.

I would also be in favor of a monthly "trending albums" post. Could be something new released that month people are digging or an older album that someone just discovered that we agree is worth people's time.

I love lists so of course I'd be in favor of an end of the year "best of 2014" list.

And I think I want to change the thread title to "Post-VC". Derek you mentioned that in your post & thought that sounded pretty great. I also like the ambiguity of the phrase so an unknowing VC member may stumble into the thread wondering what the hell it is and "BAM" he gets sucked into the pure awesomeness of it.

That works for me.

@ King: I like the addition of those upcoming features, in the first post of this thread.  Have you considered arranging them in a bullet list?

• So?

It could make things easier to keep track of, from a design + content point.  The first 5 posts of the thread are in this order;

King

Abovetheearth

Derek

Derek (double post, for shame)

King

Each post, I think, should be home to a "feature" of sorts.  The basic ideas so far are;

• Index: a compiled list of all post-goodness, complete with genre tags, a link to listen, and user-generated ratings.
  • Guide: 10 [?] "classic" post-albums, based off unanimous voting from all thread participants.  Possibly updated annually?
  • Spotlight: new, lesser-known releases contributed by members of the thread.  Updated monthly.

In addition to those, how about...?

• Upcoming: a dynamically updating list of up-and-coming releases (or represses) for 2014, worthy of attention  Think of it like a calendar for users who may not skim the main vinyl board on a daily basis.

That's four altogether.  I'm not sure how willing Charlie is to manage one... but if he's not, I'll gladly take two.  The order can be arranged for the sake of workload – the Guide will only need to be updated annually, and that'll be a breeze.  The Spotlight will be a monthly affair, and Upcoming will be constant.  I'm willing to handle whatever.  It's totally up to King and Charlie to determine how much they want to work with.

That works for me.

@ King: I like the addition of those upcoming features, in the first post of this thread.  Have you considered arranging them in a bullet list?

• So?

Each post, I think, should be home to a "feature" of sorts.  The basic ideas so far are;

• Index: a compiled list of all post-goodness, complete with genre tags, a link to listen, and user-generated ratings.
  • Guide: 10 [?] "classic" post-albums, based off unanimous voting from all thread participants.  Possibly updated annually?
  • Spotlight: new, lesser-known releases contributed by members of the thread.  Updated monthly.

In addition to those, how about...?

• Upcoming: a dynamically updating list of up-and-coming releases (or represses) for 2014, worthy of attention  Think of it like a calendar for users who may not skim the main vinyl board on a daily basis.

I like this, but I think we should try for a nice banner/heading over each of the four "topics" so it looks a little cleaner than just basic bullets.

And I think the "Guide" should be 15 albums. Ten, like I said earlier, is just a tad too restrictive. Because when it comes down to it, we don't want to have to make the decision to nix "Hymn to the Immortal Wind" in favor of "Lift Your Skinny Fists...". Ya feel?

I like this, but I think we should try for a nice banner/heading over each of the four "topics" so it looks a little cleaner than just basic bullets.

Way ahead of you.  The bullet list was in reference to just the "hype" paragraph at the top of King's post, on page 1.  Each category / post will contain very obvious headers and graphics to ensure that you know exactly what you're looking at.

And also, did anyone consider just beginning a new thread? That way we could control who has which post? This could be like the brainstorming thread and that one could be nice and clean and organized. Just a thought.

It's not a horrible idea, but we do have 30 pages invested here, and the sequencing of the first few posts works just nicely.  If Charlie feels like maintaining one of those 4 categories, he's set.  And if not, his recommendations will be merged into the Index and that's that.  It's a pretty simple approach either way.

I've thought about the idea of starting a new thread as well, but as Derek pointed out, we now have 30+ pages invested here (maybe 27-28 topic related and then a few discussing the new format) but I think people might like to go back and read people's initial reactions/discussions about certain albums/bands. I know that a good VC time killer is to read through a thread for a first time & it can be cool to see the different conversations that have happened over time.

woah, you guys are getting all organized and shit.

Here's an addition to the thread that seems to have been overlooked:

Scale the Summit (think a more metalcore Animals as Leaders)

You mean less metalcore version of AAL, right?  AAL bore me to tears, personally.  I respect the hell out of their musicianship, but the songwriting is way too noodly for me.  I can definitely enjoy some Scale the Summit, though.

I still haven't properly gone through the list of bands you guys recommended me, mostly because I've been sitting on a Caspian album. Usually if I'm actively looking for new music, I'm never satisfied at that moment. Maybe just because I'm not really digesting the music? But I've noticed this a while ago and so I tend to just put new music aside to come back to later. 

So I came back to Tertia yesterday and was hooked this time around. Listening to it again now. I guess music needs a bit of time to 'settle in' for me. But yea, I'm loving this now; probably going to pick up a copy. 

8ight

You can't fully fall in love with Caspian until you see them live, so do yourself a favor and go to Audiotree.tv to watch the Caspian set.

Also go to Youtube and look up their "APK" sessions.

I fully agree with that statement. Nothing matches the chills that Caspian gives when you see them live. Especially when closing with Sycamore.

Unpopular opinion time: I think 'Tertia' is my least favorite Caspian album. Still a great album, but I have more feels associated with the others.

Unpopular it may be, but those are my same thoughts as well. I just never "got" Tertia. It's a big snoozefest to me, and that's coming from someone who enjoys Stars of the Lid.

• jhulud locked this topic