Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

13 for me, with 11 on vinyl. Not a big Talk Talk fan and I'd argue that even if a lot of people consider them forefathers to post-rock, their sound greatly contradicts what we've got going in this thread.

@ King: stop what you're doing and get Godspeed's F# A#. Mandatory post-rock album. I think that it and Skinny Fists are their best work.

This is me trying to come up with a list of the "classics". I had to do a little research; I didn't come up with all of them off the top of my head (though I know a lot of guys on here probably could have). And feel free to add--

1. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

2. Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind

3. El Ten Eleven - S/T

4. 65daysofstatic - One Time For All Time

5. And So I Watch You From Afar - S/T

6. Deepset - The Lights We Shed Shall Burn Your Eyes

7. Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw

8. Slint - Spiderland

9. Bark Psychosis - Hex

10. This Will Destroy You - S/T

11. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

12. Fly Pan Am - S/T

13. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#∞

14. God Is An Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

15. Tristeza - Dream Signals in Full Circle

16. Mogwai - Young Team

17. Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet

18. Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

19. A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone...

20. The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place

This is a pretty good list as far as "classics" are concerned.  I would probably replace F#A# with "Lift Your Skinny Fists".  If this was me, I would add Sigur Ros - "( )" to the very top of that list, haha.

I know I threw this band (for good reason) into my top 20 list, but I think it's necessary I bring them up again, because this amazing album is now up for pay-what-you-want on Bandcamp.

http://theseverelydeparted.bandcamp.com/album/the-severely-departed

Seriously, just download it. Awesome post-rock/post-metal that flew way under everyone's radar. The first song alone is enough to get anybody hooked.

I know I threw this band (for good reason) into my top 20 list, but I think it's necessary I bring them up again, because this amazing album is now up for pay-what-you-want on Bandcamp.

Seriously, just download it. Awesome post-rock/post-metal that flew way under everyone's radar. The first song alone is enough to get anybody hooked.

Album art is pretty bad, and that font choice is horrendous... but I have good faith in your tastes.  Grabbing it now.

Listening to older Jakob for the first time – particularly Cale:Drew.  Man, I've been missing out.  That opening track is so damn good.  Thrilled that it's finally getting pressed.  Currently grabbing Subsets Of Sets, too.

I've only recently listened to pre-Solace as well & agree that Cale/Drew is incredible. I might like it more than Solace. Semaphore is ridic.

Gonna check this out as well.

So stoked y'all are getting hooked on Jakob elixir - excellent for the health!

Grab the whole anthology - and if you can't find the singles and tracks only on the V/A Compilation on youtube (KSCIAA is the guy's handle or something like that, has uploaded some great, hard to find stuff, and very respectable quality for vinyl to mp3), message me and I'll get them to you.  Dominion is a 27 minute drone, great to relax or to do paperwork by, or type on message boards like I'm doing right now ;)

Quiz for the Jakob explorers...Do any Jakob tracks have vocals? If yes, name  :)

Anyone aware of the massive amounts of post-rock on the Teen Mom series'?

No

But my wife watches, and I in the room over hear it and it's nothing but post rock. Every time. They even used Beware of Safety.

Twice.

(This was even 2-4 years ago)

Really?  Like for dramatic moments?  If so, I kind of wish they wouldn't.  I'm all for bands getting exposure where exposure is due, but that just strikes me as tacky.  I don't know.

[edit]

Maybe it's just because I'm not used to reality TV, but I'm looking up clips and it's just so bad.  Haven't heard anything I recognized, but even the use of somber piano and guitar behind arguments between teen moms and their babies' daddies is just cheesy as all hell.  It feels weird.

Really?  Like for dramatic moments?  If so, I kind of wish they wouldn't.  I'm all for bands getting exposure where exposure is due, but that just strikes me as tacky.  I don't know.

dramatic fights, moments of being alone, frustrated...etc. 

they dont list song names or anything, (like other shows) that generation probably doesnt think of it as music...thankfully.

theyre banking on it to create the emotion for the show. it works on the kids these days, and my wife.

i just rattle off names of bands and my wife is like: God is a wut? cosmonaut? 

:facepalm:

In no particular order.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Mogwai

Russian Circles

Caspian

This Will Destroy You

Isis

Balmorhea

Sigur Rós

Jakob

Mono

Isis obviously pushes against the grain of twinkly post-rock bands, and their frequent vocals will probably raise a brow or two for my nomination, but I still think they pioneered post-metal as we know it.  Really want to work GFE in there as well, but their last album doesn't hold a handle to their first three releases, even if there's nothing wrong with it.

Appleseed Cast would absolutely knock out one of those 10 artists if they were allowed.  But considering their entire discography, I can understand why they shouldn't be in this thread outside of a couple of their albums.

I also really wanted to add Explosions In the Sky to that list.  Love them or hate them, I truly feel as if they paved the way for crescendo-core... and that's something that we're still hearing in post-rock today.  A lot of people seem to sneer at EITS because they sound so similar to countless bands.  In my opinion, that's like hating on cavemen for inventing the wheel because it's "so overdone" in this day and age.  Yeah, okay – that's a little dramatic.  EITS in no way "invented the wheel" as far as post-rock goes, but they carved out a huge niche for themselves that still gets replicated, even in 2014.  And I'd say there's good reason for that.

I do think they're very accessible, sure.  And "entry level" as far as post-rock bands go.  The reason they didn't break my top 10 is because they're a very safe band.  That's not to say that every one of their songs sound alike, but across the course of their discography they haven't really pushed any boundaries.  Whereas an artist like This Will Destroy You released a "typical" post-rock record with Young Mountain (which I still love, don't get me wrong) but went on to push their comfort zone and throw a curve-ball with Tunnel Blanket.  So for artistic integrity, they've got the edge.  I think that pretty much all of the groups in my personal selection have many flavors and shades of songwriting under their belt... whereas EITS are more or less a one-trick pony.  But damn, the one trick they can do, they do incredibly well.  You could argue that one of their albums sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the rest, though.  The black sheep of their discography from 2001.  Which leads me to my next point...

For anyone who yawns at even the mention of EITS, I urge you to try out Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever.  You can listen to the whole thing

– it's just shy of 50 minutes, and it's a lot "heavier" and more active than their proceeding albums that everyone hails as their best work.  I actually love it.  A lot.  The tone, the atmosphere, the builds... it's far and away from the twinkly tremolo you probably associate with the band.  I dare call it a classic.  If the band hopped around and incorporated this album's sound a bit more, they would easily be in my top 5.  But alas.  Some things are not meant to be.  Either way, it's completely worth at least one listen from the skeptics.

I missed this whole page of posts I feel. All apologies. Wasn't ignoring. Not sure where we stand but I'm down either way

No worries.  I think we're on pause at the moment, anyway.  That first post needs a lot of formatting which will take quite a while.  Once that's down, I think I'll start designing the basis for the posts that follow it.  I think we short start adding in the votes / stars / top-10 nominations right now, so King won't have to skim through random pages of the thread to update the OP.  If they're punched in as soon as they're posted, I think we'll be in good shape.

I only recently listened to Mogwai Fear Satan for the first time, because of this thread

+

Godspeed is the only real "huge" band I've dedictaed some time to, but even them I've only really listened to Slow Riot, Fists, & Alellujiah.

Did you only listen to Mogwai Fear Satan?  And not the rest of Young Team?  If so, I implore you to fix that.  I know Mogwai's vast discography can be a little intimidating, but if you're going to listen to just one of their albums, definitely give that one a whirl.  I know we've all hyped the closing track to high hell, but the rest of the album is just as classic in my books.  From start to finish; even if it's a little different than what you're used to, I think it's entirely worth your time.

And... Godspeed.  Man, I can't emphasize how good F# is.  There's a reason it comes up so frequently when discussing the band, and Batman nailed it when he said "chills every time".  Not to oversell it, but it really shaped the way I viewed music (and this genre) once it clicked with me, years ago.  It may not be chock-full of bad-ass riffs or super technical guitar leads, but the atmosphere world it paints is so surreal and vivid.  That opening monologue is like listening to poetry while soaring over a post-apocalytpic nation.  And there are just so many classic moments throughout the album: the surreal train drone.  The crescendo-packed spaghetti western.  The eerie-but-then-balls-to-the-wall build and climax of East Hastings.  The frantic, tribal drumming of Providence.  And it's all patched together with such gritty samples and sounds; the band wants you to feel like you're living in the end days, and I think they pull it off well.  What's interesting is that you've listened to Slow Riot... which is a stellar EP, but I almost think of it as an accompanying piece to F#.  It contains some of the same musical motifs and characters featured in its sample, if I recall.  Really cool stuff.

Do yourself a huge favor and find time for this album as soon as you can.  Kill the lights and strap on your best pair of headphones.  You'll be amazed where it takes you.

In no particular order.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Mogwai

Russian Circles

Caspian

This Will Destroy You

Isis

Balmorhea

Sigur Rós

Jakob

Mono

Isis obviously pushes against the grain of twinkly post-rock bands, and their frequent vocals will probably raise a brow or two for my nomination, but I still think they pioneered post-metal as we know it.  Really want to work GFE in there as well, but their last album doesn't hold a handle to their first three releases, even if there's nothing wrong with it.

Appleseed Cast would absolutely knock out one of those 10 artists if they were allowed.  But considering their entire discography, I can understand why they shouldn't be in this thread outside of a couple of their albums.

I also really wanted to add Explosions In the Sky to that list.  Love them or hate them, I truly feel as if they paved the way for crescendo-core... and that's something that we're still hearing in post-rock today.  A lot of people seem to sneer at EITS because they sound so similar to countless bands.  In my opinion, that's like hating on cavemen for inventing the wheel because it's "so overdone" in this day and age.  Yeah, okay – that's a little dramatic.  EITS in no way "invented the wheel" as far as post-rock goes, but they carved out a huge niche for themselves that still gets replicated, even in 2014.  And I'd say there's good reason for that.

I do think they're very accessible, sure.  And "entry level" as far as post-rock bands go.  The reason they didn't break my top 10 is because they're a very safe band.  That's not to say that every one of their songs sound alike, but across the course of their discography they haven't really pushed any boundaries.  Whereas an artist like This Will Destroy You released a "typical" post-rock record with Young Mountain (which I still love, don't get me wrong) but went on to push their comfort zone and throw a curve-ball with Tunnel Blanket.  So for artistic integrity, they've got the edge.  I think that pretty much all of the groups in my personal selection have many flavors and shades of songwriting under their belt... whereas EITS are more or less a one-trick pony.  But damn, the one trick they can do, they do incredibly well.  You could argue that one of their albums sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the rest, though.  The black sheep of their discography from 2001.  Which leads me to my next point...

For anyone who yawns at even the mention of EITS, I urge you to try out Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever.  You can listen to the whole thing

– it's just shy of 50 minutes, and it's a lot "heavier" and more active than their proceeding albums that everyone hails as their best work.  I actually love it.  A lot.  The tone, the atmosphere, the builds... it's far and away from the twinkly tremolo you probably associate with the band.  I dare call it a classic.  If the band hopped around and incorporated this album's sound a bit more, they would easily be in my top 5.  But alas.  Some things are not meant to be.  Either way, it's completely worth at least one listen from the skeptics.

I didn't put ISIS because I thought they were disqualified re: vocals (put Red Sparowes instead) but yeah, they're absolute giants.

Rosetta's instrumentals are just killer and go with Jakob in my head - I would love to see them do a split 12". Obviously, Armine takes them out of this list.

GY!BE -- Moya is my favorite track, can be an earworm at times.  Tie for Slow Riot and F#A# for me. My daughter loves every single thing by them and ASMZ/TheeSMZ/TheSMZ/etc.  though I had to wait until she was much older re: access to some of their track titles and stuff, since we don't use the same kind of language around house as Godspeed does ... ie 3rd commandment violations.

I think you guys will appreciate this.

I've started running in the mornings at work for about a mike and a half each day and I've been waiting to finally break the 2 mile mark this week. So before my run I put on F#a# from Godspeed because I've never really given it a chance. I have like 200 yards left until I hit 2 miles and the build up from around 10:30-12:00 on East Hastings comes on and I just start sprinting like a mad man! It was like the perfect movie moment. I finished and just thought to myself "Holy cow that was freakin' awesome!" I'm pumped though! I must have some crazy endorphins right now haha I'm just jacked!

• jhulud locked this topic