Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Way ahead of you. The bullet list was in reference to just the "hype" paragraph at the top of King's post, on page 1. Each category / post will contain very obvious headers and graphics to ensure that you know exactly what you're looking at.

It's not a horrible idea, but we do have 30 pages invested here, and the sequencing of the first few posts works just nicely. If Charlie feels like maintaining one of those 4 categories, he's set. And if not, his recommendations will be merged into the Index and that's that. It's a pretty simple approach either way.

I missed this whole page of posts I feel. All apologies. Wasn't ignoring. Not sure where we stand but I'm down either way

Not familiar. Who are they 'similiar' to?

listening to this album again, it's not really instrumental since there are lyrics. I don't know why but I always just automatically associate them with instrumental bands. They're more like Low, Bedhead, and Duster. Kind of slow and heavy at times. Not instrumental, but still worth checking out.

I forget who mentioned Sleepstream but I finally checked their newest out. That album is legit. But alas, no vinyl. Damn you Fluttery.

"Chemtrail Borders II" is pretty damn great.

you're welcome on the Sleepstream, and their sound has evolved. I was rec. them by a bandcamp stalwart on my follow list there. He does twitter and IG, but no VC or DF.  I'm thinking he gets some his rec's from (((echoesanddust))) blog in the UK or from the writers there - a great source for new bands or old bands with new albums.

hooooooooooly crap I just put Tides of Man - Young and Courageous out on my record label.  Stoked to be working with these guys.  They'll have these tapes on their European tour with Vasudeva (who I also did tapes for!)

you can snag a copy of this if you're stateside, or not seeing the tour here - http://fleshandbonerecords.storenvy.com/products/9173944-tides-of-man-young-and-courageous

PRE_20ORDER_201_original.jpg

1e5q8z.jpg

If I was into tapes I'd be all over your releases, Brian. Those are sweet! But I can't afford to start a new collection!

If you ever press Pray For Sound to vinyl I'd be all over that one.

haha thanks, you're too kind! <3

Pray For Sound is going to get pressed on vinyl early 2015, but not through Flesh and Bone.  Stoked for them!

So I guess it's time for me to come back and address this.

people be tryin' to say that mono isn't that good

In all fairness, I listened to a good chunk of their discography quite a while back, when I was first getting into post-rock.  But over the years, Hymn To The Immortal Wind was the only album that really resonated with me.  When they dropped For My Parents, I was (and I guess still am) a little iffy about the amount of orchestration and seemingly "soundtrack" moments are on the record.  And I guess that left a sour taste in my mouth.

However.

I've been spending more time revisiting their back catalog.  And it's sort of like hearing them for the first time, and hearing them the right way.  I may not be crazy about For My Parents, still, but One More Step, Walking Cloud, and You Are There are phenomenal.  Like really good.  I'm not one to back-peddle out of something I've said, or bend my words to suggest something other than what I initially meant to say.  So with that being said, I done goofed.  I can understand why they're worthy of a slot in everyone's Top 10.  I just hope they go back to more of a "band" sound with future albums.

tl;dr –

cGnIvJA.png

I guess mayne I should listen to some Mono, eh?

It's funny, as much as I love instrumental/post-rock, I've really never dedicated much time to the big dogs of the genre.

EITS has always bored me to tears anytime I try & listen to them. I don't recall ever listening to more than a song or two by Mono. And I only recently listened to Mogwai Fear Satan for the first time, because of this thread (incredible btw). Godspeed is the only real "huge" band I've dedictaed some time to, but even them I've only really listened to Slow Riot, Fists, & Alellujiah.

I tend to always want to look for the "next" big band out there, & don't properly give myself a history lesson.

Maybe I should have you guys come up with a "classics" playlist for me. I guess that's the kind of thing we've been discussing anyways, so maybe I can just go through the lists we'll all make later on.

hooooooooooly crap I just put Tides of Man - Young and Courageous out on my record label.  Stoked to be working with these guys.  They'll have these tapes on their European tour with Vasudeva (who I also did tapes for!)

you can snag a copy of this if you're stateside, or not seeing the tour here - http://fleshandbonerecords.storenvy.com/products/9173944-tides-of-man-young-and-courageous

PRE_20ORDER_201_original.jpg

1e5q8z.jpg

on this and the Vasudeva :)

This thread is such a bad idea for my bank account. I've systematically kept myself from diving head first into post rock. If I attach to a band right away I feel like I HAVE to get that particular band on vinyl and own all the coolest variants. I end up spending way too much money at one time. Slowly but surely I'm getting more artists under my belt.

I don't know guys. While there are certainly some classical elements, I don't know if Mono fits the bill of neo-classical for me... I mean, they're certainly more orchestral/cinematic than before, going so far as to include the Wordless Music Orchestra on FMP, but at their roots, they're still a post-rock quartet. Their "wall of sound"/strumming/delayed/reverbed, guitar-based approach is just complimented with a 6-piece string section and additional percussion (they used like a 25-piece orchestra in HTTIW). Take that away, and it'd still be great--not neo-classical, but straight-up Mono's brand of post-rock. I haven't seen them since this album was released, so I'm curious how it'd translate live--I'm assuming quite well. I'd like a more stripped down release from the band for their next album, but I actually really liked FMP. Listening to it now actually, and it's goooood.

This thread is such a bad idea for my bank account. I've systematically kept myself from diving head first into post rock. If I attach to a band right away I feel like I HAVE to get that particular band on vinyl and own all the coolest variants. I end up spending way too much money at one time. Slowly but surely I'm getting more artists under my belt.

I can 100% sympathize with this. You'll be happy to know that most of my suggestions lately though are sans-vinyl :) So it's good for my wallet, but sucks for my collection. But there are so many good albums I've found lately that would sound great on vinyl, so hopefully down the road that'll change.

I guess mayne I should listen to some Mono, eh?

It's funny, as much as I love instrumental/post-rock, I've really never dedicated much time to the big dogs of the genre.

Maybe I should have you guys come up with a "classics" playlist for me. I guess that's the kind of thing we've been discussing anyways, so maybe I can just go through the lists we'll all make later on.

This is me trying to come up with a list of the "classics". I had to do a little research; I didn't come up with all of them off the top of my head (though I know a lot of guys on here probably could have). And feel free to add--

1. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

2. Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind

3. El Ten Eleven - S/T

4. 65daysofstatic - One Time For All Time

5. And So I Watch You From Afar - S/T

6. Deepset - The Lights We Shed Shall Burn Your Eyes

7. Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw

8. Slint - Spiderland

9. Bark Psychosis - Hex

10. This Will Destroy You - S/T

11. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

12. Fly Pan Am - S/T

13. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#∞

14. God Is An Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

15. Tristeza - Dream Signals in Full Circle

16. Mogwai - Young Team

17. Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet

18. Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

19. A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone...

20. The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place

• jhulud locked this topic