Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Unpopular it may be, but those are my same thoughts as well. I just never "got" Tertia. It's a big snoozefest to me, and that's coming from someone who enjoys Stars of the Lid.

How do you not love the build up of Sycamore at the end? Gets me every time. The thing I love about Caspian is the fact they have different albums for whatever mood you are in, whether it be the more mellow side or the heavier, respectively. 

My Caspian collection (as of a month ago): http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/246-post-a-pic-of-your-collection-band-or-label-only/page-448?hl=caspian

I have Cloudkicker's entire discography, but I've never given it much of a listen. Where should I start? I've got a 9 hour plane ride ahead of me tonight.

I personally think Subsume is the best way to get introduced. That album has elements from all his prior work. I think if you really like Subsume, you like most of everything else. Let Yourself Be Huge is the probably the most different from the others. He took a step back from his typically heavy style to make a beautiful sounding EP.

I have Cloudkicker's entire discography, but I've never given it much of a listen. Where should I start? I've got a 9 hour plane ride ahead of me tonight.

Beacons was my launching point.  Subsume and Fade would be good places to start too.

Mamiffer - This Land

I love this record

Mamiffer is great all around.  I think that Locrian collab might be my favorite thing they've done though.

Mamiffer is great all around. I think that Locrian collab might be my favorite thing they've done though.

The split with Demian Johnston has my favorite Mamiffer track, but their 1st album always is in the rotation. I do love the Locrian collaboration, but I always keep it separate from both bands proper.

Just like The Crystal World is my favorite Locrian... no matter how much I love the collaboration

I checked out some of the GHOSTDRONE recs (Jasper TX, Fromom the Mouth of the Sun, & Mamiffer). Unfortunately for me I couldn't make it very far with any of those bands. I just can't get into that minimalist post-rock/ambient/noise style.

I need my layers/crescendos/climaxes/riffage.

drones are not for everyone, and those artists love their drones.

I'm super pumped for MSW to get here! if any streams pop up I'm going to hold off until I get the album in my hands (even though I previously was going to listen to it when I thought it was on Spotify). But we're close enough now where I can hold out.

Also, I've updated the Index with bands posted on the last few pages.

I've also listed the upcoming features in that OP.

Lastly, I've been listening to Pray For Sound's "Dreamer" a lot lately ( http://music.prayforsound.com). Pretty safe, straightforward post-rock but it has enough catchiness to keep bringing me back. I've given it 3 full listens & keep digging it more & more. If they start trending towards developing the sound in their last two songs (Mourner & Day Bringer) I think they can make a really special album. I got an End of the Ocean vibe with those two (Omik you should check it out).

• jhulud locked this topic