Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I think you guys will appreciate this.

I've started running in the mornings at work for about a mike and a half each day and I've been waiting to finally break the 2 mile mark this week. So before my run I put on F#a# from Godspeed because I've never really given it a chance. I have like 200 yards left until I hit 2 miles and the build up from around 10:30-12:00 on East Hastings comes on and I just start sprinting like a mad man! It was like the perfect movie moment. I finished and just thought to myself "Holy cow that was freakin' awesome!" I'm pumped though! I must have some crazy endorphins right now haha I'm just jacked!

For my skating or hockey workouts, SR ( ) 8 was always a favorite for the finish.

I gave most of F#A# a listen (in the car...and with my dogs...I know, not an ideal situation) & I can definitely see why it gets a lot of hype. It's almost like listening to an instrumental movie. Got very creepy vibes (in a good way haha) listening to it. That train really had an impact in how the album was shaping itself to me.

I'll need to revisit with my good headphones some day & give it a start to finish listen.

I haven't looked but is that one easily accessible on vinyl?

Anyways, in other news I've been on a big Toe kick (hey oh) lately. I've only owned For Long Tomorrow but took the plunge & ordered the rest through Topshelf. That VC code is killer. Got 3 EPs, Book, & added Prawn's newest with shipping for $55. I'd kill to see them live again someday. Top 5 show of all time for me.

I gave most of F#A# a listen (in the car...and with my dogs...I know, not an ideal situation) & I can definitely see why it gets a lot of hype. It's almost like listening to an instrumental movie. Got very creepy vibes (in a good way haha) listening to it. That train really had an impact in how the album was shaping itself to me.

I'll need to revisit with my good headphones some day & give it a start to finish listen.

I haven't looked but is that one easily accessible on vinyl?

Anyways, in other news I've been on a big Toe kick (hey oh) lately. I've only owned For Long Tomorrow but took the plunge & ordered the rest through Topshelf. That VC code is killer. Got 3 EPs, Book, & added Prawn's newest with shipping for $55. I'd kill to see them live again someday. Top 5 show of all time for me.

Yes, that Topshelf 20% basically got me free shipping and a couple more bucks. I hope they get Talons in before the code runs out.

If you like toe, I think you will also love LITE (and Te').

Not as jazzy, but mathy in a good way, very talented and the two guitarists back and forth are just awesome - like Belew and Fripp from days of old. Topshelf has their latest up for PO and not sold out, I have no idea how fast they are moving.  I listened to a few tracks on youtube and they are good, but Filmlets is my favorite, with Phantasia not far behind. I went ahead and ordered that one from Ireland. Not bad - like $28ppd for a bunch of great music.

Every 1 to 2 weeks I have to post Filmlets needs vinyl pressing!

If you don't like it past the first 7 or 8 minutes you can stop - and go see a doctor or something ;)   J/K I know not everyone is into syncopation and off-beats, but they really work it into a nice, catchy listenable melody as the track progresses. Very addictive for me.

edit: F#A# Represses are easy to find cheap. Get Slow Riot, as it has RP for cheap, too. Not as eerie and BBF3 is pretty funny for all his salty language.

in my opinion, if im going to sell any post-rock albums im going to post them in here first.

thoughts on this? clogging up? i dont sell often so i think it should be okay.

for instance:

I'm selling my Toe - New Sentimentality on pink /109

I like that and am cool with it. Derek started the trend with his Toundra anyways.

In saying that, what price are you looking for? I just ordered whatever was avail from Topshelf last night, but I'm a sucker for pink vinyl.

Dunno if it will be instrumental...but...whoa:

One of our first releases of 2015 will be the absolutely crushing, monumentally heavy debut album from SUMAC. Sumac is a new band which consists of its core main members Aaron Turner (Old Man Gloom/Mamiffer/Isis... THE BAND) and drummer Nick Yacyshyn of Baptists. Bass on the Sumac debut was tracked by Brian Cook of Russian Circles/These Arms Are Snakes/Botch. The Sumac debut will be an album that will explore a new level and realm of heaviness and sonic fulfillment for the members involved. A new expression while also treading on familiar ground on occasion. We can assure you though this will be quite leveling. More on the Sumac debut in due time, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up here.

-Profound Lore Facebook

Dunno if it will be instrumental...but...whoa:

One of our first releases of 2015 will be the absolutely crushing, monumentally heavy debut album from SUMAC. Sumac is a new band which consists of its core main members Aaron Turner (Old Man Gloom/Mamiffer/Isis... THE BAND) and drummer Nick Yacyshyn of Baptists. Bass on the Sumac debut was tracked by Brian Cook of Russian Circles/These Arms Are Snakes/Botch. The Sumac debut will be an album that will explore a new level and realm of heaviness and sonic fulfillment for the members involved. A new expression while also treading on familiar ground on occasion. We can assure you though this will be quite leveling. More on the Sumac debut in due time, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up here.

-Profound Lore Facebook

iwQQ5LdMTb5i.gif

Christ Almighty that song "Clavius" on that Rosetta split is GOOD.

I'm digging back into Rosetta after being mildly into them last year but then I just kind of stopped listening to them.

I'm sure Don will be pleased. :)

Yeah,  bruddah, :)

I had all their instrumentals, because Armine's vocal style had never been my cuppa.

So I took the track Wake and ran it through Audacity trying to minimize the vocals, but ended up just gutting the track. After about 10 times through and reading the lyrics - along with the rest of his lyrics - the vocals became impassioned pleas from the soul, rather than just roars and shouts. Pretty much an epiphany, though I'd say Armine, Turner (ISIS) and Ben with Helm's Alee are the main 3 that I really enjoy. And their music is awesome, but not for this thread.

I'm definitely OK with for buy/sell/trade here!

edit: Evan, get that LITE track overwith so you can tell me if you like their style better or less than Toe.  Toe is espresso; LITE is cappuccino....sorta. Smoother, not as much of the edge (in general), but still get the kick. Bad analogy, oy.

This is one of the records that is always in stock at my local shop.  I guess they usually have all Godspeed releases.  

As they should, too.  That's one band that needs to stay in constant print, considering it's never too late for anyone to get into Godspeed.  And can you imagine an album as inspiring and incredible as Skinny Fists being limited to 1,000 copies?  There would be blood.

someone please do yourself a favor and buy this. this price is insane.

http://www.insound.com/Eulogy-for-Evolution-Vinyl-LP-Olafur-Arnalds/P/INS82840/

Don't mind if I do.  Did?  Have?  Not sure how to phrase that, but I tried placing my order shortly after you posted the link, and just now got confirmation for shipping.  I didn't want to speak too soon or jinx myself, so I'm definitely relieved.  It's the only Olafur release I'm missing, so I'm appropriately stoked.  Thanks a ton for the link.  That price is unbeatable compared to everywhere else.

Also.  Revisiting the new Watered for the first time in a bit, and I've got to say that it's even better than I previously recall.  So great.

Don't mind if I do.  Did?  Have?  Not sure how to phrase that, but I tried placing my order shortly after you posted the link, and just now got confirmation for shipping.  I didn't want to speak too soon or jinx myself, so I'm definitely relieved.  It's the only Olafur release I'm missing, so I'm appropriately stoked.  Thanks a ton for the link.  That price is unbeatable compared to everywhere else.

hooray!!! so glad it went to someone on here. i saw that it was backordered shortly after i posted the link, so i thought that maybe someone grabbed it. epic score, that price is/was insane. out of habit the first thing i looked for in the sale was imports haha. i was really hoping that some nils frahm records would make the sale, but no dice.

hooray!!! so glad it went to someone on here. i saw that it was backordered shortly after i posted the link, so i thought that maybe someone grabbed it. epic score, that price is/was insane. out of habit the first thing i looked for in the sale was imports haha. i was really hoping that some nils frahm records would make the sale, but no dice.

I didn't know there was a way to sort by imports... but that's some seriously invaluable information.  I'll have to keep that in mind.  As far as Nils Frahm goes, I'm probably in a very similar boat.  All I have is Spaces - which I adore, but obviously need to branch out from.

I didn't know there was a way to sort by imports... but that's some seriously invaluable information.  I'll have to keep that in mind.  As far as Nils Frahm goes, I'm probably in a very similar boat.  All I have is Spaces - which I adore, but obviously need to branch out from.

there's not that i know of, i just started searching for stuff. erased tapes is one of my go-to labels. i've got a pretty good mental list of releases to look for haha. 

i've only got spaces and felt. need moar!!

Pretty late in the discussion, but just remembered this closure from Fly Pan Am (don't remember who asked about).

So perfect.

Obviously.

Some awesome post-rock albums up for grabs in the newly launched Flesh and Bone Digital Series starting today.  As far as post-rock/ambient stuff is concerned, in this first batch of bands we have As Seas Exhale, Bombardier, and Mohican.  All awesome bands!  www.fleshandbonedigital.bandcamp.com

1534738_1477966032459067_491938421069782

• jhulud locked this topic