I hate when bands write an album, with no intentions of playing songs live

jase

I don't really understand the correlation between recording songs and playing them live. Not all musicians write songs with the intention to play them live...that seems like a weird motivating factor to me. 

True.

But isn't buying the album and enjoying the songs on it enough to purchase tickets to a live show the motivating factor for the consumers to fill that concert hall/stadium/tiny backroom club or wherever? If they're not going to hear the songs they enjoyed on the recording, what's the motivation to buy tickets allowing that artist to tour?

Since Maniacal Laughter I've been of the opinion The Souls are essentially writing towards a greatest hits collection or two. I felt Comet was their best start to finish album in years however. 

Now, let's be honest - if they ever did do a 2xLP or CD Greatest Hits collection it would be so damn killer. Their best stuff is truly great and they have a ton of it. 

As someone who played in several bands over the last 11 years, we never once wrote a song with the intention of calling it "filler" or to not be able to play it live. Songs just evolve in the studio. That "filler" label is added by the listener, and songs you think are there just to pad out the album might be someone else's (or even the band's) favorite song.

I saw Bouncing Souls earlier this year, they played a ton of songs from Comet.

Dodecahedron did this.  Released the best album of 2012, no intentions to tour.  They said in an interview they were offered to play festivals, but didn't want to, because they would want to have everything absolutely perfect if they ever perform live.  (Sound at festivals can be an issue.)  I can't really blame them, their album is fucking perfect, and they could obviously pull it off, I think it's just a question of having absolutely perfect sound.  I think in their case, it's a matter of integrity, every aspect of the album was overseen by members of the band.  If you check the album out, you'll probably see what I mean.  Also, the main dude is a member of Exivious, so it might be hard to line things up with prior commitments. Doesn't mean it will never happen, though. Heard they are doing a 2nd album, so maybe they'll play live one day after that comes out.

Lots of good points brought up here, I can understand where people are coming from on both sides of the debate. Still, if I had to choose between live and recorded music, as much as I love certain albums, I would still have to choose live every time. Bands who suck live, and get by on studio trickery can just go break-the-fuck-up.  I think the only exception would be: if you are a solo artist with a 'full band' vision, and cannot find competent musicians to play the other parts.  In that case you'd have to record everything yourself and use the recording in order to one day, hopefully, round out an actual live band to perform the material.

It grinds my gears. Why bother recording it, if there is zero chance of ever playing it.

I'm listening to bouncing souls - comet, and I can hear probably 6 songs they won't do. Why bother? Filler?

Just record and EP

Thoughts and opinions please

Ummm I saw The Souls play shortly after they release Comet and they played probably close to 90% of the songs.

Ummm I saw The Souls play shortly after they release Comet and they played probably close to 90% of the songs.

So 9/10 songs. At a record release tour or show that's kind of expected.

But this wasn't directed solely at them. I was just listening to comet at the time and thinking how most of it won't be played again.

I know and understand bands have limited time to play each night. Though I'm also pretty tired of seeing bands that have been together for 10+ years playing essentially the same set give it take 2 songs time after time.

I saw the queers back in about 06 over here and they played about 40 songs. Including literally any request from the audience that was yelled out.

I guess what I'm getting at is when bands practice 40 minute sets, and maybe two covers. Then get given 30 minutes to play. Which means limited chances of actually ever changing any of their sets dramatically

I don't really understand the correlation between recording songs and playing them live. Not all musicians write songs with the intention to play them live...that seems like a weird motivating factor to me. 

Best example is Zao.  They came into a situation where it was impossible to tour going forward (jobs, family, living in opposite corners of the country, etc).  Rather than hang it up, they (slowly) work on studio only albums that will probably never see the light of day live.  I am hugely grateful that they'd continue to do that rather than call it quits.