PO: Sufjan Stevens - Illinois on Red/Green /1000 (Newbury exclusive)

gmoney

Pre-order the upcoming double LP reissue of Sufjan Stevens' album Illinois on Red & Green Vinyl with a digital download included. This exclusive pressing from Newbury Comics and Asthmatic Kitty Records is limited* to only 1000 pieces.

Asthmatic Kitty presents Illinois, a 22-track anthematic tone poem to The Prairie State. Following the 2003 collection of songs for his home state, Michigan, Stevens presents an emphatic answer to the question: Can a songwriter express the spirit of a state he's never called home? Illinois is the result of extensive research, travel, meditation, and countless days and nights in the studio.

On Illinois, Sufjan weaves variegated musical styles (jazz, funk, pop) and instrumental textures (from oboe to church organ) into a tapestry of persons famous, infamous, and anonymous, and places iconic, obscure, and ghostly.The musical road trip takes you through ghost towns, grain mills, hospital rooms, and the City of Broad Shoulders, with guest appearances by a poet, a president, and a serial murderer, to name a few.

For some reason, shipping is $10.99.

Stupid.

EDIT: I e-mailed them, Facebook'd them, and contacted them to try to get this fixed. We shall see.

Yeah I just emailed them too, that shipping is ridiculous. Even says in their FAQ, $4.99 media mail plus $2.00 per additional pound. http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=114

I did a cart / quantity check on this, because I can.  Looks like there are a bit over 300 remaining.  That can't possibly be right, can it?  Does Newbury list 400 for sale, and then gradually sell the remaining 600 at inflating prices on eBay?

they have physical stores. i'm thinking they would want to sell some there. 

Yeah, they've been doing these exclusives for a couple months now, mostly with Talking Heads represses. They did a 1000 run of Fear of Music in September on green vinyl and The Name Of This Band Is... on maroon (again, 1000) just released today. They had copies of both in stores (and they have several stores) so that's probably the reason why there's only so many available for pre-order.