the hobbit 2!

took my 9 year old to see it today.  we just watched the Hobbit Unexpected earlier this week with him.  On the way home he asked if I have the LOTR dvds.  He then asked to watch them, I told him they were 10 hours long, he said well that will take a couple days.

now i have to decide if i should make him wait to see Back Again before I let him watch the LOTR.  he is somewhat lucky to be able to watch them OG Hobbit to LOTR.

What did you not like about the first one?

The first one was way too much set-up way too little fun and adventure. I agree, the book is supposed to be a bit more comical - No sweat. It was simply a dull movie to me. It was long and full of people sitting around talking. It could have been a hell of a lot shorter. 

So, with all that set-up out of the way maybe there will be more of the adventuring that made LOTR so enjoyable. I'll cave and see it but will probably wait for a guild screener instead of hitting it in the theater. 

In the meantime I took my three year old to see Frozen since he wasn't quite ready for the Hobbit - too much singing but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. Probably would have hated it if not for getting to look down at my boys smile every few minutes. 

Glad everyone is digging this film so much. 

The first one was way too much set-up way too little fun and adventure. I agree, the book is supposed to be a bit more comical - No sweat. It was simply a dull movie to me. It was long and full of people sitting around talking. It could have been a hell of a lot shorter.

So, with all that set-up out of the way maybe there will be more of the adventuring that made LOTR so enjoyable. I'll cave and see it but will probably wait for a guild screener instead of hitting it in the theater.

In the meantime I took my three year old to see Frozen since he wasn't quite ready for the Hobbit - too much singing but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. Probably would have hated it if not for getting to look down at my boys smile every few minutes.

Glad everyone is digging this film so much.

I can totally see where you are coming from. This one is much more action and is more fast paced. He didn't really need to turn it into 3 movies but I love this stuff so I ate up. But yes the first one was pretty slow at first.

Saw it yesterday and definitely preferred it to An Unexpected Journey. Smaug was great and the spider scene was just fantastic. I also felt like the non-Hobbit material felt more organic in this movie, too. There were a few times when the CGI was distracting, but not nearly as bad as the last film, so that was nice. Also, I thought the cliffhanger was perfect.

I saw this one in normal frame rate and all since I watched the first one in 48 FPS 3D and was not a fan. 

I personally loved the 48 fps 3D IMAX experience.  Felt like watching a movie through a window and not a camera lens.  I could see why maybe people find it annoying but I think it brings cinema closer to Broadway and you get all the additional high budget cinema benefits (CGI, etc...) that you just can't receive with a Broadway play.  First time I've ever seen a movie this way.  I think this is wave of the future type stuff and I'm a huge fan.

Especially with that barrel scene, I actually found myself "living inside of the experience" instead of watching the experience, if that at all makes sense to anybody???

Especially with that barrel scene, I actually found myself "living inside of the experience" instead of watching the experience, if that at all makes sense to anybody???

I can see that. I hadn't thought about it, but I bet that barrel scene did look great in HFR. The one thing I did really like when I saw the first one in HFR was the movement of the water, but there was so little of it in that movie. May have to see if I can see this one again in 48 and see how it looks.

yeah the water looked fantastic. CGI characters/buildings in motion looked like a video game cutscene. the scene where the king or w/e of the lake town was getting out of bed looked like an old school BBC drama haha.

I definitely agree that GCI will now need to catch up with this technology.  

If you've got at least a 120HZ refresh rate on your tv then none of this HFR business is out of the ordinary. I certainly prefer it over the normal 24fps, I've actually got a tough time watching normal movies in theaters now.

Saw this tonight and holy crap that barrel scene is the tits. Haven't seen action that great in a while.

The alluding toward Gimli + Legolas was a nice touch as well.