2014 is gonna be a trainwreck in domestic vinyl pressing

flood

Wait what

Wild, right? I was fascinated by this a few months ago and read everything i could find about it. The Church of Scientology bought one of Europadisk's DMM lathes at auction a few years back and they're using it to preserve L. Ron Hubbard's speeches and lectures on platinum discs, which will be buried beneath the earth in the Mojave Desert with specially designed playback devices for future generations/civilizations to discover.

The problem is you only have X amount of pressing equipment. A plant can't go "Wow, we're doing really well, order another press!" because there is no other equipment out there. You would think when faced with these delays that they could go "Ok, we'll bring on more people, press around the clock" but from a profit stand point they can easily give out these time estimates, or keep giving label delays with the current staff and still make money. 

Luckily, I think 2014 is the year of the mini disc. So I think it's a little early to worry about this. 

The mini disc, eh? Weren't those almost a thing in the early 2000's?

Wild, right? I was fascinated by this a few months ago and read everything i could find about it. The Church of Scientology bought one of Europadisk's DMM lathes at auction a few years back and they're using it to preserve L. Ron Hubbard's speeches and lectures on platinum discs, which will be buried beneath the earth in the Mojave Desert with specially designed playback devices for future generations/civilizations to discover.

I'm not going to lie, there is something about that that makes me laugh a little bit.

Holy shit, please don't be kidding.

Holy shit, please don't be kidding.

100% true, look it up!

sorry, this does not make sense.  explain to me which steps are skipped that save time for the plant?

The plates are already cut and the test pressings are already approved. That shaves a month off right there, easy. You're just telling the plant "hey, press some more." Of course, if you have to order more jackets that's a whole other thing, but a lot of times you order extra jackets with the first pressing to save time/money.

sorry, this does not make sense.  explain to me which steps are skipped that save time for the plant?

ok you don't need to send them lacquers, get plates made, wait for tests, get mailed tests, approve tests.. you just call up and say i need X more and your order goes right into the order queue... trust me its a whole lot shorter.

it has nothing to do with rushed pressings.. the turnaround is probably actually causing tons of quality glitches because theres so much work being forced through...  when we did the suicide machines records with URP we had to go through by hand and remove at least 75 copies that were double labeled,  a handful that had the same label on both sides, and a weird batch that had half a label on one side.

taking forever doesn't neccesarily mean more care is being undertaken

I am surprised that a major label hasn't bought a pressing plant to bring it "in-house" in order to save on manufacturing costs.  Much in the same way that Coke and Pepsi bought all of the regional bottlers in 2010.  In addition, it is sad to think that with the advancements in technology and 3D printing that we are relegated to using original pressing equipment that pressed original Motown and Sun singles from the 50's.....You'd think there would be a way to "modernize" and make record pressing more efficient and streamlined...at least one can hope.

I am surprised that a major label hasn't bought a pressing plant to bring it "in-house" in order to save on manufacturing costs.  Much in the same way that Coke and Pepsi bought all of the regional bottlers in 2010.  In addition, it is sad to think that with the advancements in technology and 3D printing that we are relegated to using original pressing equipment that pressed original Motown and Sun singles from the 50's.....You'd think there would be a way to "modernize" and make record pressing more efficient and streamlined...at least one can hope.

there really isnt much point in that. despite the sudden "trendyness" of vinyl; again.. its probably not sustainable, nor is vinyl overly profitable. While sales are up something astronimical percentage wise..  it makes no sense for any large company to make large capital expenditures into it.. because outside of handful of titles that are moving a 10-50k copies...  even major releases are doing under 5k ... which is why you see formerly platinum records being licensed out to labels like mine... its way more profitable for them to do so.

it has nothing to do with rushed pressings.. the turnaround is probably actually causing tons of quality glitches because theres so much work being forced through...  when we did the suicide machines records with URP we had to go through by hand and remove at least 75 copies that were double labeled,  a handful that had the same label on both sides, and a weird batch that had half a label on one side.

taking forever doesn't neccesarily mean more care is being undertaken

I can attest to this - for the Cassino repress last year, I had to pull double labels off more than 100 copies. And a bunch of labels were smudged. It was a huge pain in the ass.