Zeppelin Vinyl Reissues

avl

The Paris show is exciting but the digital is not. How hard is it for them to take the tapes and just cut new lacquers and repress all these albums with the original artwork and replicated original packaging? Why can that never happen? Its always some grandiose BS that in the end costs $50 just to have a digitally sourced LP that was recorded in the time of analog.

Officially announced: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/buy/

Prices are pretty steep for deluxe vinyl (especially considering the flack we've been giving Soundgarden for the Superunknown reissue), but hopefully they'll drop a little in time.

No details on mastering (digital vs analog) that I can find... 

$30 for the single LP's and $44 - $55 for the double to triple LP packages. Outrageous. I can't wait to see what some of the more reasonably priced stores will offer these for. And I probably won't touch any of them if they're not analog except maybe for LZ I because I want that Paris show on vinyl but most importantly I just want that live version of "How Many More Times".

Those single LP's have no business being anywhere over $20.

Well, there are two possible scenarios. One: go back to the analog masters and use them direct to cut lacquers. Two: go back to the analog masters and bounce them to digital multitrack files which can then be manipulated track by track to remaster the overall albums. Unless they were going to completely jump the shark and simply use a CD master to cut with, they were going to have to go back to analog masters to do any of the work they set out to do because that's the way all the music was recorded. So yeah, I'm waiting to hear but given the fact that the Beatles re-releases were all done the way of scenario two, it makes it look all the more likely that that was the method. Which is disappointing.

Well, there are two possible scenarios. One: go back to the analog masters and use them direct to cut lacquers. Two: go back to the analog masters and bounce them to digital multitrack files which can then be manipulated track by track to remaster the overall albums. Unless they were going to completely jump the shark and simply use a CD master to cut with, they were going to have to go back to analog masters to do any of the work they set out to do because that's the way all the music was recorded. So yeah, I'm waiting to hear but given the fact that the Beatles re-releases were all done the way of scenario two, it makes it look all the more likely that that was the method. Which is disappointing.

You would never have known if they hadn't said anything about it.

Does this answer the question?

Page first announced that he had been working on the reissues in November 2012. He told Rolling Stone at the time that, in addition to treating his fans to new "sonic and visual thrills," his goal with the reissues was to make them sound better. "The catalog was last remastered 20 years ago," he said. "That's a long time. Everything is being transferred from analog to a higher-resolution digital format. That's one of the problems with the Zeppelin stuff. It sounds ridiculous on MP3. You can't hear what's there properly."

Does this answer the question?

Page first announced that he had been working on the reissues in November 2012. He told Rolling Stone at the time that, in addition to treating his fans to new "sonic and visual thrills," his goal with the reissues was to make them sound better. "The catalog was last remastered 20 years ago," he said. "That's a long time. Everything is being transferred from analog to a higher-resolution digital format. That's one of the problems with the Zeppelin stuff. It sounds ridiculous on MP3. You can't hear what's there properly."

I'm not willing to believe that they've done a separate analog master specifically for vinyl and one new digital remaster specifically for CD/Digital. Until they say specifically that, I will assume that they're just cutting the new digital master into the lacquers for the new vinyl. What a waste of vinyl.

I'm half-tempted to order the box sets for each through Amazon in hopes that they come down before release date as well as to prevent having to pay even more if the price goes up.

Looks like the hi-res only comes with the boxes.  The super deluxe versions are $60-$70 more than the deluxe vinyl and CDs combined and you get a book, the hi-res downloads and an album cover print.  Not sure if that is worth it.  I got to think the hi-res will be available for $25-$30 at some point, if not free by some other means...

You mean I wouldn't be able to tell the difference?

Correct. "Cut directly from the original tapes" sounds good on a press release, but you're delusional if you don't consider the numerous other factors (quality of the equipment used, the ears and tastes of the mastering engineer, the shape the tapes are in, where it's pressed, etc.) to be waaaay more important. You and everyone else would fail a double blind test between 2" tape and that tape run through a modern A/D converter. It's possible for digital to capture frequencies over twice the range of human perception, which is also well over what microphones are capable of capturing, I'm not sure why digital recording has such a bad rep besides the fact that most (ugh) "loudness war" victims are all digital. But again that's not an intrinsic quality of digital, just a side effect of the fact that it's easier and faster to record in digital, some people have taken advantage of that by spending the extra time crafting a great sounding album, some just rush through everything and poop out a shiny brickwalled turd. Don't blame the format.

Hey all, anyone know any numbers? I read somewhere that the first 30,000 of the SUPER DELUXE will be hand numbered...but first 30,000 how many of the "limited" super deluxe are they pressing. Even that seems like a LOT for a limited version. 

Ill probably just get the deluxe version of III since I have the first presses (Canadian) of the I and II. 

Soundstage has more reasonable prices, along with track listings:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/led-zeppelin.shtml

Gotta say... They really missed the boat with the bonus tracks for II & III. I might've been tempted with genuine outtakes... or hell, even "Hey Hey What Can I Do" and "Traveling Riverside Blues" on vinyl. But no way am I spending $15 extra for "rough mixes" and "backing tracks."

Now it basically comes down to the SQ of the individual reissues. I've never found an RL of II and all my previous copies have been dull and somewhat noisy, so if the new versions are an improvement I'm in. The likelihood they're being cut from hi-res digital is troubling... But not a dealbreaker. It really depends on how they sound.

Soundstage has more reasonable prices, along with track listings:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/led-zeppelin.shtml

Gotta say... They really missed the boat with the bonus tracks for II & III. I might've been tempted with genuine outtakes... or hell, even "Hey Hey What Can I Do" and "Traveling Riverside Blues" on vinyl. But no way am I spending $15 extra for "rough mixes" and "backing tracks."

Now it basically comes down to the SQ of the individual reissues. I've never found an RL of II and all my previous copies have been dull and somewhat noisy, so if the new versions are an improvement I'm in. The likelihood they're being cut from hi-res digital is troubling... But not a dealbreaker. It really depends on how they sound.

honestly don't think there are many outtakes that were not put on Coda (I think the 2 songs you mentioned will likely be on LP2 of that reissue). Zeppelin was one of the few bands that put out just about everything. 

If you're actually interested in those tracks, "Travelling Riverside Blues" can be found on vinyl here. "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was a b-side to "Immigrant Song" way back in the day. Just thought I'd let you know. That BBC Sessions record kicks ass, it's on my turntable all the time. Really good stuff.  B)

The price for these super deluxe sets kind of bites. I'm hoping they come down, because I really do want to get all three of them - but especially Led Zeppelin III. What an outstanding record.

I don't get what's up with the bonus tracks either. Those are pretty lame.