Post Your Record Storage Area

Came across this on the Ikea Hacker blog

[image]

Add come colour and lights to your expedit:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2009/02/spin-it-with-some-colour.html

[image]

This is awesome - though, I don't know about those legs. I'd be afraid that once it was filled w/ LPs it would weigh too much and make the legs puncture the laminate (the thick sections of the Expedit are cardboard). But the paint idea is great. Makes me wish I had a white one.

This is awesome - though, I don't know about those legs. I'd be afraid that once it was filled w/ LPs it would weigh too much and make the legs puncture the laminate (the thick sections of the Expedit are cardboard). But the paint idea is great. Makes me wish I had a white one.

Great, I was thinking of putting legs on it but reading that makes me second guess it because it's gonna be heavy. Damn.

Great, I was thinking of putting legs on it but reading that makes me second guess it because it's gonna be heavy. Damn.

I used to work @ IKEA and have witnessed many destroyed Expedits in my time. IMO I doubt the thing was even designed to hold the weight we record collectors are loading it up with. I'd steer clear of legs. You know the 2x4 Expedit can be set up vertical, right?

On a related note, I really think VCers should get a discount on these shelves, seeing as we spend so much fucking money at IKEA.

Bobby, you know what you could do?

If you are near an IKEA go to the used section (can't remember what it's called at the moment) and ask them if they have any orphaned top or bottom pieces - you could probably mount them as risers underneath with L brackets. That way, the weight is distributed over a larger area and less likely to break. That would give you a 15" rise off the floor.

not sure. still in the buffalo area. probably like town of tonawanda/amherst. the gf and i will be moving in together and we both work over in that area. hoping to find someplace for a sept 1st move in.
Where do you work? Except for a 4 year hiatus for college, I've run around mostly these two towns (and North Buffalo) my whole life.

I work at Walgreens on sheridan. I grew up in NT and spent most of my days hanging out in West Seneca. Lived downtown for a few years then moved back. Want to end up living in WS i think but for now since we both work on sheridan it would save a lot of time(for her driving to work) and gas(me going to see her all the time)

also i had one of those cheap IKEA coffee tables. like the hollow wood ones(can't be more than $20) holding up a 36" tube tv for years. Every night i would hear it creak and crack a little but i had the faith! I just recently moved that tv off of it and now use it to hold mailing supplies.

That thing was cheap as shit but it was tough as nails.

Bobby, you know what you could do?

If you are near an IKEA go to the used section (can't remember what it's called at the moment) and ask them if they have any orphaned top or bottom pieces - you could probably mount them as risers underneath with L brackets. That way, the weight is distributed over a larger area and less likely to break. That would give you a 15" rise off the floor.

OK, I'm gonna try to translate this haha. You mean getting more pieces of wood and attaching it to the bottom?

Good luck!

Oh! - Another idea - you could do legs if you mount it to the wall with heavy duty toggle bolts. That would definitely help relieve stress from the legs. Mount it, and do legs in the front. Do you by chance have at least 3/4 inch drywall in your house/apartment?

(I'm just making this more complicated, aren't I?)

• jhulud locked this topic