Post Your Record Storage Area

I noticed a few people had their receiver under their turntable. This doesn't seem like a great idea and I've never done it but if I could it would be nice to have the extra space. Any reason to not do this? Seems like the heat from your receiver could damage your turntable.

It is a (fucking) horrible idea. First of all, it restricts airflow out of the vents on the top of the receiver/amp - not a good thing at all as you want at least 6" of space above the amp so it can cool correctly. Second, it offers no vibration isolation for your turntable. Isolating components is the easiest way to upgrade your system's sound. Third, the electro-magnetic field created by the amp/receiver can effect your turntable because it can end up being turned into audible sound through the stylus.

So, what's more important, saving 16"x16" amount of space or improving the sound you hear coming out of your speakers?

I noticed a few people had their receiver under their turntable. This doesn't seem like a great idea and I've never done it but if I could it would be nice to have the extra space. Any reason to not do this? Seems like the heat from your receiver could damage your turntable.

It is a (fucking) horrible idea. First of all, it restricts airflow out of the vents on the top of the receiver/amp - not a good thing at all as you want at least 6" of space above the amp so it can cool correctly. Second, it offers no vibration isolation for your turntable. Isolating components is the easiest way to upgrade your system's sound. Third, the electro-magnetic field created by the amp/receiver can effect your turntable because it can end up being turned into audible sound through the stylus.

So, what's more important, saving 16"x16" amount of space or improving the sound you hear coming out of your speakers?

yeah when i got my expedite i didnt want to sit the record player and receiver next to each other and take up so much space so i went this route

[image]

finally got a chance to take some pics.

currently using target's ITSO system.

[image]

this is it with the doors closed

[image]

that is my cat on top of the turntable

[image]

cabinet 1 is A-F and G-R. Cabinet 2 top is S-U. Cabinet 3 top is V-Z, 10"'s and some boxsets.

The two small drawers have accessories such as record cleaning gear and extra plastic sleeves. The bottom drawer in cabinet 3 has all my extra variants, test presses and picture discs. this drawer is front loaded, for easy sifting.

Not pictured is a 5x2 expedit that houses all the DREAMOVERrecords inventory as well as all our older 80's records and such. Also, all my 7"'s are in a box. Haven't found a good way to display those yet.

Guest adam526
this is probably my favorite thread ever. i never get tired of reading it.

Fuck reading it, I love the pretty pictures!

i will tell you for your misfits records..........ha.

lowes home improvement

Lowes? Seriously? what section would that be in?

home organization. you can buy different size pieces of glass and choose the feet. i think their is black too.

you cant tell in the picture but the stand is smaller in depth than the receiver but it fits the turntable fine.

home organization. you can buy different size pieces of glass and choose the feet. i think their is black too.

you cant tell in the picture but the stand is smaller in depth than the receiver but it fits the turntable fine.

How much was it?

shit i dont remember...............im guessing less than 20. i can check when i get into work tom.

shit i dont remember...............im guessing less than 20. i can check when i get into work tom.

what is it called?

cant seem to find it online

real organization i believe. its actually seperate pieces. the glass was like 12 bucks and 7 bucks for the legs. they also have different color wood if you wanted to go that route.

also i couldnt find it on the lowes site either when bobby asked. i can get item numbers and shit and it should bring it up that way on the site.

Do you guys think if I lay my expedit on it's side it will support my 50 inch TV? I wanted to try that but not sure if it will hold it..

I was thinking about putting it in my living room to save space..

What kind of TV is it? I have a 36" TV that probably weighs 250lbs, whereas my parents have a 62" that weighs maybe 60lbs. It all depends on the TV itself, not so much the size.

• jhulud locked this topic