USPS price increases effective 1/26

Yea, I've definitely run into this problem myself.  I've sent packages and it will say it's in one particular location for 4 days, then suddenly it's delivered across the country the next day.  The post office keeps upping their prices, but the service gets worse and worse.

i believe i read somewhere that the price is temporary and will go down the previous price within a years time.

umm....why is anyone still paying for tracking?

As far as I know, it's the only way to track a package's travels and delivery. There was a debate a while back on whether or not it was automatically included in the cost of media mail, but I believe the "tracking" updates only pertain to certain points in the post office's route -- you can't actually check the progress or status of the record as it travels to its destination. That's how it's been explained to me, anyway.

Anyone know if eBay allows media pricing to go over $4 now?

THIS

I would like to know also, because I always ship with tracking and sometimes it's more. I thought there use to be an option in eBay (mobile) where I could add a $1 in price to the standard $3. eBay just cuts Media Mail off at $3 no exceptions!

THIS

I would like to know also, because I always ship with tracking and sometimes it's more. I thought there use to be an option in eBay (mobile) where I could add a $1 in price to the standard $3. eBay just cuts Media Mail off at $3 no exceptions!

eBay is usually pretty quick at updating that sort of thing.  Hopefully that is still the case.

Priority packages have free tracking.

Parcel/first class/ media has some other bar code they put on your package (I can't remember what it's called), but that number will let you track your package.  Sure they will still try to charge you for tracking if you want to buy it...but the other barcode works just fine (at least it has for me.)

I sent my first package to Canada today, had to be First Class. I have an Approval #, a Transaction #, a Bill #, and a Reciept #, is it any of those? And where would I look? I want to test this out. Sorry if I'm a noob.

I sent my first package to Canada today, had to be First Class. I have an Approval #, a Transaction #, a Bill #, and a Reciept #, is it any of those? And where would I look? I want to test this out. Sorry if I'm a noob.

Customs Form #. Its under the weight of the package on the receipt. The tracking should begin with LC then some numbers.

Customs Form #. Its under the weight of the package on the receipt. The tracking should begin with LC then some numbers.

Awesome, this is very useful knowledge and will probably come in handy in case I get a fraudulent Paypal dispute or something similar. I've been very lucky to not get anything like that so far, but some of my sales have been to no-feedback no-profile just-joined-today people so I get nervous sometimes. No trouble yet, but you never know.

Anyone considering just keeping it at $4 and eating the 20-whatever cents? I hope no one has to consider getting a second job or stop selling or something over not even a quarter.

If I was selling a lot it probably wouldn't matter, but for the moment I've changed shipping to 4.50 per LP mailer. It's dumb, but the 30-something cents per order do go to packing materials.

Anyone considering just keeping it at $4 and eating the 20-whatever cents? I hope no one has to consider getting a second job or stop selling or something over not even a quarter.

I don't know, selling online(Discogs, ebay)in general is annoying, 1st- PayPal takes some, 2nd- fees for the marketplace, now shipping is going up(I know, not by much) but still.

Awesome, this is very useful knowledge and will probably come in handy in case I get a fraudulent Paypal dispute or something similar. I've been very lucky to not get anything like that so far, but some of my sales have been to no-feedback no-profile just-joined-today people so I get nervous sometimes. No trouble yet, but you never know.

Any overseas people that buy from me here must pay as a gift or pay for registered mail. I haven't had a problem yet.

Any overseas people that buy from me here must pay as a gift or pay for registered mail. I haven't had a problem yet.

I don't sell too much on here. I do what I can but I've only sold one thing, so that's not my concern.

Today I sold Alexisonfire - iTunes Originals to some guy from Canada that joined that day, I was a little on edge but I've had it for so long I decided to take a chance on the guy. I don't think it's uncommon for people to join Discogs once they find one record they were looking for - I did it with my first online record purchase. But I also read the Terrible Buyers/Sellers thread too, so I'm cautious. I can't ask buyers to gift me money thru Discogs, not in any way that I know of, and in my seller terms I state that tracking/insurance is available for those who request it. Maybe I will require tracking for all non-US orders in the future, I just wasn't thinking about that today until it was a done deal.

I raised my discogs flat fee from 5 to 5.50.

I charge for as much as you can fit in one mailer that amount. It usually makes people buy a few items than one 7 inch(but they still do that)

At 4.22 cost, you than lose money to paypal, plus I use a new mailer 99% of the time. If I were to charge 4 bucks I would be losing a dollar or more. I have easily shipped over 200 transactions on discogs and quite a bit on here.

The reality is with that actual cost, materials, going to post office etc no money is still made

if I try to print labels from usps.com, there is no media mail option. Or at least I can't find it

You can't do Media Mail from USPS.com.  Dumb, I know.

I Googled it a while back and came across this post.  It has a link so that you can do Media Mail through PayPal.  Its worked great for me in the past.