A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Thanks dude! I sent you a PM about it, but wasn't sure if that was the right way to go about everything. And I honestly never noticed the report button down there until looking for it after you mentioned it haha sorry, but now I know. thanks again!

Not a problem, messaging one of us works as well!

We are all mostly beginners in a lot of ways. Some are working up to a first 5k. Others a first 10k. And so on. I think some good advice has been imparted so ask away. 

It poured all day here and I didn't want to go to the Y. I hooked my bike up to the trainer, put on Empire Strikes Back and did a two hour session. 

I earned a beer tonight. Ha ha. 

Crummy weather again today but great forecast for the weekend. I'm targeting a 15k on Sunday but haven't registered since I want to see the weather first. They have on-site registration so I'm going to hold tight. 

Hit a nice 7.5 miler last night and plan to do a simple 3.5-4 miles over the next two days at a very calm pace. Saturday will be a brick after an hour of good cycling.

The weather is getting me motivated. 

Someone came to my office yesterday wearing Hoka One's - ugly shoe but this person couldn't have been any more positive in suggesting them. 

Dude I was talking to my neighbor Tuesday night about those. He runs a lot, ran a half last month, and I trust his opinion and he couldn't stop talking about how much he loved them either haha they are weird looking, but he described it as "like running on a memory foam mattress", but said they feel lighter than his Nike Free's.

You know, I was a committed Nike Free fan for 1.5 years. I credit the design and weight for getting me into running. But as my mileage has gone up I have started to drift from them. They are not as supportive as my Asics - I feel a demonstrable difference in how my body feels post run based on the shoe I'm wearing. I've pretty much relegated the Nike's to treadmill runs and short outdoor jobbers. I have great things to say about them but I've moved past what they can offer me. 

I am really eyeing a pair of Brooks next. I'm not in a rush to get a new pair however since both of my current pairs still have solid mileage in them. 

Nice Alex. 

I am skipping my intervals this week since I plan to run in a race setting Sunday and need to taper a bit. I have however taken to hitting the local track once a week and keeping an eye on 400m clips with my gps watch. It has a huge effect on shaving seconds off as well as getting a better understanding of running by feel. I love staring at my watch on short runs and intervals but really rely on feel for my long runs. 

Ran a 15k today. Very very hilly course through the Highlands area of the Jersey Shore. 1:17:15. I thought I might get to 1:15:00 but I didn't know it was going to be that many hills. Very happy with my overall effort for a first time out at a race in this distance. Finished 69th out of 250ish. Anyway, could have gone further if I wanted and feel good right now so all in all a very encouraging effort. I need to break down my splits but I put in a sub-7 minute mile at mile 3 and ran the final mile in sub 7:30 time. I really warmed up my brain in taking momentum where I could and pushing where my body would allow. Great day. 

13699953673_e05027db1c.jpg

OK - let's see if this works. I'm getting into the part of my training season where I'm staring at graphs and charts and reviewing performance. I liked this run in particular because of the elevation changes. I'm still resisting joining your endomodo group but I'd enjoy seeing some of the courses folks are running. 

Yeah - I'm curious about it. I read a review of the race I posted above by a strong experienced runner and she said this is a course that kicks peoples asses. So I'm actually a bit prouder of my time and effort. Didn't realize this was as tough.

I am eyeing the Palisades Half Marathon in a month but it is wicked steep with no real flat points.