A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

I downloaded the app (amazing btw). I'll join the group eventually but I guarantee I'll be one of lowest on there when it's all said and done

It's all good dude, it's more for encouragement and that kind of stuff. We can see your personal best runs and stuff, and give some encouragement and that kind of thing. The challenge is all just for fun anyway haha

4-6-14RunGraph_zps15b776f0.png

I usually run on a pretty flat course, small gradual hills here and there but mostly flat. I'm on travel for work and the only place nearby I could run was this community across from the hotel and it was nothing but hills. Short and steep, long and gradual, long and steep hills, a little but of everything, and it kicked my ass haha I felt like I was always either pumping up a hill or trying to hold myself back a little from sprinting down a hill, almost never felt like just running. Needless to say my time suffered. I was running between 24 & 26 minute 5k's. Yesterday I ran it in 30:30, it sucked. I think the hills will help my training so I'm excited about that, but I really didn't enjoy my run as much as usual.

The sad thing is, looking at your elevation maps, this doesn't even look that bad compared to you guys, but was awful for me haha

The half marathon yesterday was really a fun experience.  It was the Rumspringa 13.1 in Adamstown, Pa.  It was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had during a race. It was really cool running along the Amish in there horse and buggies or on their bicycles on there way to church.  It was a beautiful course through Amish farmland.  

I finished 24th overall out of 382 with a chip time of 1:34.55.

oRYToCD.jpg

Also, I'm glad more people are starting to get out there and everyone is doing good work. 

13699953673_e05027db1c.jpg

OK - let's see if this works. I'm getting into the part of my training season where I'm staring at graphs and charts and reviewing performance. I liked this run in particular because of the elevation changes. I'm still resisting joining your endomodo group but I'd enjoy seeing some of the courses folks are running. 

Those hills will be good for your training. I love running hills they make you such a better runner and stronger.

What's a good goal time for a 5k for a noob? What about just per kilometer, what should I shoot for?

For your first I wouldn't worry about time. Just enjoy being out there, and if you feel good halfway through then kick it into another gear. Not being on the couch puts you ahead of 98% of others.

What's a good goal time for a 5k for a noob? What about just per kilometer, what should I shoot for?

Weinerdog's advice is spot on.  

That's not an answer anyone can really answer. What kind of mileage and pace are you currently running?

1:34 for a half?! Crazy fast and very impressive. Maybe in the next life for me. I did a 11k in 1:05 this past weekend. 15k in a couple of weeks.

Thanks. Keep running and adding mileage and it is crazy how much you can improve.

When I took a lot of time off I found that coming back I was running 10 minute miles for the first couple weeks and gradually worked my way back up to 8 - 8:30 minute miles. But that's just me, could be different for you. I'd say just get out there and run at a pace that feels comfortable and start from there.

Thanks. Keep running and adding mileage and it is crazy how much you can improve.

Ding ding ding. Nothing has helped my running more than frequency and adding volume. Speed develops a bit but once you get volume up if speed is a goal then you can start doing intervals. Build the base and the rest will more or less follow.

My last quarter at school starts today. I dont have a day of class that starts before 12:45pm so I figured this is a great time to get in the habit of waking up early and starting my day with a run on the 3-4 days of the week that I don't work mornings. It was kind of an embarrassingly hard, short run but my rib felt better than expected. Hacked up a lung and a half but I'm hoping that's the end of the sinus infection I feel like I'm kicking. Oh well, no more excuses; just running. 

I planned to do some cycling yesterday but instead gave my body the day off. Woke up this morning and swam 3250 yards and my back is feeling great. I'm pulling a two-a-day and will be back out running tonight. I'm aiming for a nicely paced 5 miler. I did a 6.5 mile run in this slot last week but after that hilly race I need a week where I cut back my volume a touch.