Vinyl review sites?

ntslash

Are there any vinyl review sties out there that allow users to post their reviews/ratings? I'm thinking something like Amazon's reviews, except specific for vinyl. It's frustrating that you can't separate the vinyl version reviews on Amazon, but even if you could, there probably aren't that many. I know you can look through these boards or other message boards to get people's opinions, but I'd love to be able to look at a newer release and see how people are rating it before I buy it. I know there are places that post a single review of an album, but I always like to hear more than one opinion.

If a site like this doesn't exist already, then maybe I will make one. Thanks!

What do you even mean? How the actual record sounds? Or just an album review? If just the album review why would it even make a difference if it is specifically on wax?

I think he's referring to how the pressing sounds.  Lord knows there's plenty of lemons that get pressed.  I think it's a great idea.  I often look through the review on amazon too, looking for someone who bought the vinyl version of an album in hopes they will indicate the sound quality of it.  I don't know any sites specifically dedicated to this purpose.  One site I really like though is www.comparevinyl.com.  Not always 100% accurate but it's a good source for trying to get the best price on an album, or just plain to see if it's available anywhere.

Yes, I am thinking of reviews/ratings of different pressings and how they sound as opposed to album reviews. Similar to amazon's style of reviews - give it a rating out of 5 stars and then a description behind that rating. But the focus would be entirely on sound (and packaging) rather than how good the album is.

Modern Vinyl does have good reviews that discuss sound quality, but they don't have the capacity to review every album that comes out, or every pressing either. If there was a site where users could at least rate the sound quality, that would help inform vinyl purchases better. I'd prefer only to buy pressings that sound really good, as I'm sure everyone else would. I don't want a bunch of crap like the MOV repress of Live's Throwing Copper sitting on my shelves.

I realize that most records probably sound fine unless someone is complaining about it here, but it takes a lot longer to dig through a message board for reviews than it would to dig through an actual review/rating site.

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile. I was just curious if it already existed or if anyone else would find it useful.

Technically Discogs has the space for it on every entry, but people rarely use it.

I think Discogs is the best option. You can add a review for every individual pressing and it appears on the same page as all of the other information about the press. The only problem, as stated above, is that people don't add many reviews. Here's an example: http://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-OK-Computer/release/1587168

The thing about people who buy a Crosley is that I get the feeling they think it sounds good, completely oblivious to what GOOD actually sounds like.  In the world of music listeners you've got these types of people:

1.  People that don't notice when something sounds like crap.

2.  People that notice but don't care.

3.  People that notice and DO care.

Most people on this board are in that 3rd group, with here and there Crosley people that just don't know any better.

The thing about people who buy a Crosley is that I get the feeling they think it sounds good, completely oblivious to what GOOD actually sounds like.  In the world of music listeners you've got these types of people:

Most people on this board are in that 3rd group, with here and there Crosley people that just don't know any better.

Yep, that about sums it up.

I agree with this, but sometimes people need a little mentoring or education from a friend on what is good and what isn't.  They probably actually DO care about what something sounds like but have never been exposed to what good sound actually is.  I have been lucky to have some very smart people who cared about quality guide me in the past.

I think he's referring to how the pressing sounds.  Lord knows there's plenty of lemons that get pressed.  I think it's a great idea.  I often look through the review on amazon too, looking for someone who bought the vinyl version of an album in hopes they will indicate the sound quality of it.  I don't know any sites specifically dedicated to this purpose.  One site I really like though is www.comparevinyl.com.  Not always 100% accurate but it's a good source for trying to get the best price on an album, or just plain to see if it's available anywhere.

This is a pretty cool site.