Amazing: your cremation ashes pressed INSIDE vinyl

Derek™

DQLpd98.png

But on the related note of death; have any of you considered what will happen to your collection when your time is up?  It's a macabre thought, but one that needs to be considered, I think.  Are you leaving it to a spouse?  A best friend with similar tastes?  Entrusting it to your family to sell?  Do you wish to have your records burned, crushed, and spread across the ocean?  Do you plan on being buried with them?  Do you hope to be buried inside them, via wax coffin?  I can't be the only one who's wondered what my collection will become, post-death.  Did a quick search and didn't see this topic, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's been a similar thread or Small Talk tangent in the past.

(I'll change the topic title soon enough.)

[edit]

lol duff.

Edited by Derek™

I'd want my family to sell them.  But first I'd ask them to maybe give my friends a chance to pick through what they want, and what albums we shared a connection with.  It'd be weird to kinda tell them how to go about doing so and communicate that notion without throwing up false red flags or being questioned for depression and/or things related to being morbid.  

I'd want my family to sell them.  But first I'd ask them to maybe give my friends a chance to pick through what they want, and what albums we shared a connection with.  It'd be weird to kinda tell them how to go about doing so and communicate that notion without throwing up false red flags or being questioned for depression and/or things related to being morbid.  

I like this idea.  There are a lot of records in my collection that I know some of my very good friends and fellow vinyl enthusiasts would enjoy.  I'd love to see those go into their hands.  Ideally, they'd pick whatever they wanted out of the collection in exchange for helping my family determine the value of everything else.  I don't expect my parents or brother to research Popsike prices, but I cringe at the idea of them thinking "Well, Best Buy sells LPs for $17.99 on average.  Let's make this easy; we'll say each one is $18 and call it a day."

Or worse yet, listing "IKEA Expedit shelving unit.  Great condition.  All records included.  $200 OBO" on Craigslist.

The best collections we get into the store are from family members bringing in the collections of their dead relatives to sell. Obviously serious vinyl enthusiasts and collectors aren't going to sell their collections to a record store, it's much more profitable to go through ebay or discogs, but it's an easy way for family members to get rid of a large collection of vinyl that they don't want to deal with. The other week the mother of a deceased son brought in his rather large Beatles collection because she couldn't deal with seeing it anymore, it just reminded her of her dead son.

My brother gets everything when I die.  We always joke about how all his financial problems can be solved by killing me to collect the insurance money.  Now with my Vinyl Collection becoming large it's an extra $10-15 grand. 

So I guess if I die you all can just assume my brother is behind it.

i'd let my parents, girlfriend and one friend with a vinyl collection pick a couple each if there's anything that piques their interest (spoiler: there won't be), but otherwise i'd ask them to sell it off, or at least the variants if they're going to get all sentimental about getting rid of them all.

Before I had my major surgery in the fall of '11, I wrote out a little list of where I wanted my things distributed if I weren't to wake up. Of all my friends, no one within 300 miles of me appreciates, likes or listens to vinyl...let alone the genre I like the most.

I've made many good friends via 'Boards' and have better connections with them than my own family. I'd send it all to them. 

Goodwill isn't going to know what to do with a Fest Press, as throughout the years these records become an emotional state, a sounding board and a one-way confessional. They belong with my friends. To take them to my grave would be selfish. I can't play them. Chances are most of us have our favorite songs memorized anyhow. Just play it in your head.

I like this idea.  There are a lot of records in my collection that I know some of my very good friends and fellow vinyl enthusiasts would enjoy.  I'd love to see those go into their hands.  Ideally, they'd pick whatever they wanted out of the collection in exchange for helping my family determine the value of everything else.  I don't expect my parents or brother to research Popsike prices, but I cringe at the idea of them thinking "Well, Best Buy sells LPs for $17.99 on average.  Let's make this easy; we'll say each one is $18 and call it a day."

Or worse yet, listing "IKEA Expedit shelving unit.  Great condition.  All records included.  $200 OBO" on Craigslist.

I think maybe creating a private list would be a good idea, meanwhile also being a major pain in the ass, eating up time you could spend LIVING.  

Not that I'd know, because I'd be gone, but I would want my records to go to my friends who care about them. I wouldn't imagine it any other way - with all of the money and care that has gone into collecting they cannot simply be pawned off or given to just anyone…. And I guess the Expedit would have to be included.

you were one of my main beneficiaries, BTW.

:(man... idk what to say. You couldn't die though. You had to finish some epic artwork and father a beautiful little girl!

One of my buddies randomly asked me one day "what would you do if I gave you my whole record collection?" He has more than me and I kinda laughed it off. He told me later that he was contemplating suicide, had the note written, and was going to leave me all of his records. I was just speechless.

:(man... idk what to say. You couldn't die though. You had to finish some epic artwork and father a beautiful little girl!

One of my buddies randomly asked me one day "what would you do if I gave you my whole record collection?" He has more than me and I kinda laughed it off. He told me later that he was contemplating suicide, had the note written, and was going to leave me all of his records. I was just speechless.

yeah, im immortal now...but when i thought i was going to die, i made a note (i need to find it) i simply said "the records on the left of my shelf goes to Zach, the ones on the right go to Jason" Jason got my 60's - 90's. You got my rare and music we had in common.

that second line is scary. i hope he got better.