Coldplay - Ghost Stories

I'm spinning the vinyl right now. It sounds good to me, fairly quiet pressing. Some clipping and distortion at first that weirdly seems to go away as the record progresses. As mentioned above the packaging isn't fantastic but the price was decent so can't really complain THAT much. Now all I need to do is get "X&Y" and I'll have all of the records!

Based on the reviews, I might have to get back on board the Coldplay wagon. Had to get off around Viva.

Parachutes remains my favorite record... For a while I was the only person I knew who was even aware of their existence, and I was trading with folks in the UK to get CD-Rs of those original B-sides and live shows. (These were the ancient days before it was easy to just mail or upload MP3s and ZIP files. Our computers were also rocks.)

Also lucky enough to see them live on that first, brief U.S. tour. Probably the only time they were playing the bulk of Parachutes... plus See You Soon, Animals, and an early version of In My Place. And Chris closed the show with a solo piano version of "Georgia On My MInd." Damn.

So yeah. Now I'm the old guy at the back when they're selling out amphitheaters going, "They were better on the first album."

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. They grounded themselves again, back down from the pop-orchestral thing they were building towards. Mylo was great, but I do admittedly skip Princess of China every listen :P Very Radiohead to me in that they combined things from other albums and built it into their next move; taking their calm electronics acquired from working with Eno on Viva La Vida, and have the minimalist somberness of ROBTTH and Parachutes along with it. I always worry that the "next" album Coldplay puts out is going to be a dud, idk WHY I would think that, but they never cease to amaze me. Lackluster song here and there, but man as far as most bands go they have quite the track record since their incarnation.

• 5 months later...

The Live 2014 DVD is definitely worth a purchase if you like Ghost Stories. It is just the album front to back live and some extras.

If you watched the NBC special that was on when the album came out the performances are the same as you saw on that, which is fine to me because it has that perfect transition from Another's Arms to Oceans to A Sky Full Of Stars. The performance of Midnight on this is also pretty stunning. I haven't gone through all the extras yet but the extended Magic video is very nice, almost a short film of sorts. Also the the first and last frames of the concert film are the same and it plays on a loop.