The COMMUNITY (service) Thread

still trying to figure out you cannot come up with 15 hours over the course of nearly a week to pick up some cans in the park or something. online classes must be rough.

It's not that simple. I need to find a site supervisor who'll actually have me work that amount of hours. a lot of places I'm looking at don't need volunteers for 5 hours a day everyday. I'm trying to find a place that does, or is at least willing to give me an advance on those hours.

So, why don't you tell your teacher about the fault that you had. Explain that you're doing your best to get the hours in and even somehow show proof that you're contacting places to volunteer. 

Better yet, ask your teacher if you can volunteer at three different places that each ask for 5 hours. 

This seriously isn't that hard to figure out. I don't understand why you're so offended that people are acting negatively toward you when YOU were the one who decided to bring attention to this fault and then didn't want to put in the time/effort to figure out a simple solution.

It's not that simple. I need to find a site supervisor who'll actually have me work that amount of hours. a lot of places I'm looking at don't need volunteers for 5 hours a day everyday. I'm trying to find a place that does, or is at least willing to give me an advance on those hours.

A two second internet search turned up 1154 Volunteer Opportunities near you. Are you sure no one will have the hours you need?

http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/index.jsp?r=msa&l=92899#k=&v=false&s=&o=&l=Orange+County%2C+CA&r=msa

Obnoxious forum user is ridiculed when asking for help to correct his own mistake. More news at 11.

I've been obnoxious too, though, so I will throw out a suggestion. Try to find out if your psych progran (or any other program, really) has a page that lists organizations you can volunteer for. A lot of classes require this kind of stuff so it's usually available somewhere. For instance, my alma mater has this page. http://www.psych.ufl.edu/~undergrad/forms/psy4949_opps.pdf

You might have to make a ton of phone calls but it might work out. Like others have mentioned, I think you are going to be extremely hard pressed to find someone willing to put their name on the line to help out a stranger promising to work for them later.

One of the more viable options I can think of would be to try to find an overnight study you could volunteer for.

I ship automotive manuals, sales brochures. unfortunately I'm the only one who works this position. As a + I'm irreplaceable, as a - no time off because we work off eBay and amazon which needs to be shipped out everyday. And trust me I've been looking through the volunteer opportunities nearby that can keep me working as we'll as volunteering and the only place that seems to have lots of hours is the cat adoption center. Wouldn't you know it, I'm ridiculously allergic to cats. But if its a last resort I'm definitely going to have to take it.

Trust me, I expect tons of negative feedback from VC, it's what alot of you guys excel it. No problem though, a lot of you post good information and are genuinely helpful. VC wasn't my first go-to for help. But I figured it would be worth a shot. I've been canvassing all my friends for contacts and searching the Internet.

but in all seriousness, animal shelters (at least the one by me that i volunteered at for awhile) sometimes require you to have a short training session that they only offer at certain times (say, every other saturday, or one saturday a month) before youre allowed to volunteer/interact in any volunteer capacity with the animals.

sometimes life sucks and your crappy choices have crappy consequences. because LIFE.

dude. you posted about what a dumbass you were, we agreed with you, and you got pissy because we agreed?

yes. that makes sense.

No I got "pissy" because you're being unhelpful.

I could've made up some bullshit story and spun it to where I wasn't at fault but I didn't, I figured I'd tell it like it is, regardless of the shit I'll get because I'm sure someone might be able to help me out.

I think the point is that this board doesn't really care about your irresponsibility, since it seems like a relatively doable task that you could have figured out on your own.

I'm not jumping on you, but you should do a little brainstorming and I'm sure you can figure it out.  Check for a nonprofit association in your area and you should be good to go.  Also, others have given you some actual help.  So, enough of this thread and good luck.

but in all seriousness, animal shelters (at least the one by me that i volunteered at for awhile) sometimes require you to have a short training session that they only offer at certain times (say, every other saturday, or one saturday a month) before youre allowed to volunteer/interact in any volunteer capacity with the animals.

sometimes life sucks and your crappy choices have crappy consequences. because LIFE.

This is what helps me out. So thanks.

My favorite of you guys are the ones who criticize me, but still take the time to try and help. But for real, thanks for not inputting with your 2-cent shit and not contributing at all.

You know what, you are so right. 

I am clearly the one at fault here. 

So sorry for hurting your feelings, princess.