PO: The Sounds Of Animals Fighting - Tiger and the Duke / Lover, The Lord Has Left Us

Since I have to type this whole fucking story anyway I might as well just post each act here for the people who havent read it. I remember someone asking me to type it up a long time ago, maybe that guy is still around.

Tiger and the Duke

ACT I
We had come off the black coast, where I could see the fire still burning on the shore. The cities were swallowed up by it. I saw, in the fading grey night, as our ship tread into the white-sky horizon, the great machines of industry grazing on the coast, their monstrous legs bowing with the weight of their metal gullets. All the cities of my travels, all the crossed borders, the hovels and estates, the stone terraces of great castles, all were crumbled in their wake. We left the port city of Anon an hour before dawn, gathering our sordid cargos into the bow of the ship, and cast ourselves to the cruel sea. There were a thousand ways out of that city, a thousand ancient paths to old kingdoms of dreams and terror, but the roads and cities had burned, and I only knew one other. I resigned. I saw my fate with eyes wide open, to be the cargo of the last ship to the new worlds. All others burned at the docks, sunk in their slips, their cargo buried in their ships charred bow. All was ash or the light shining through it. We came out high into the sea, toward the horizon, where a million golden arrows shone, “Straight on ‘til morning!” the Captain shouted.

ACT II
Out in the torrid wake of the sea, the gale shook the bow-planks like tremors, and our cargo rioted in voice below the decks. Though the winds shook us, The Drunk Captain showed me that the sun was high, and assured me that the seas would grow calm, and that our passenger-cargo, ten and one thousand animals of burden and beauty, would not perish in storm or sea. The sailors’ provisions were meager, and one ran about the ship catching food. His way was to pursue birds that had food in their mouths suitable for humans, and snatch it from them. “That is my son Shem.” The Drunk Captain told me, “who I love most of the three sons I have borne, and though he is a fool, his heart is good.” He drank from his bottle. “Come with me now,” He said. “For you have not seen your fellow passengers.” We went down into the ships hold. And I saw at my every side, beasts of all colors and size and breed, howling from disease and madness. “Why do these beasts howl?” I asked. “My dear Duke…” The Drunk Captain said to me, with eyes as blue and dark as the water outside the rooms walls, “…they howl for the same reason I suffer. I’ve been trapped here for one hundred years. Blood, women and drink have been my only vessels on this vessel.” He stared at the animals with pity, and said to the ceiling, to the sky, to none but himself and God: “Pray Horizon, lead me back to port.”

ACT III

Light had gone and I could hear them speak of approaching rain. The Drunk Captain had hid himself from the coming storm in the deepest annex of his vice. The blue of his eyes was gone. They had now become grey and tremulous orbs, wavering in his stark, violent oration to the crew. “Sails full!” he screamed to them, his voice was wrathful and unsure, “We will beat this storm yet!” His bravery poured not from his heart, but from the bottle at his lips. His one hand clutched the helm, the other the bottle, and his sons toiled below him with rope and sail, and I could see there was mutiny in their eyes. We traveled with sails full, and the water grew angrier, throwing us and our property about with its surge, trying to extinguish the fires of commerce we held within our hold. And though the luster of the ships gold and ivory burned bright, in crate and cage, the sea swelled, and the beast yelled louder than before! The Drunk Captains two other sons, Japheth and Ham came to his either side, taking one of his hands each. “Come father,” They said, “you’ve had far too much to drink, and you must take down the sails and sleep, or we will not survive the storm.”

“Where would you put me?” he asked, “With our cargo, sleeping in the warmth of their refuse?” He called to Shem to help him, but his son would not listen, for his brothers had convinced him of their will during the night. “My son, will you not answer my call?” The Drunk Captain looked to me now, his eyes sad and empty, the anger from them had settled. His sons grabbed his either arm and took him from the helm onto the deck. Shem opened the hatch, and the cry of beasts called from below, and The Drunk Captain said, “Secrets and irises open the door to a pride of lions and murder of crows, no one knows how I began, but how I’ll end.” And with this, shook his sons from his arms and ran towards the port side, leaping over the edge into the sea. His sons ran to the side of the boat, holding their heads in despair. “Save him, save him!” they cried, looking with horror at the cruel sea far below.

ACT IV
The storm raged stronger than before. I was taken below deck and shackled in a cage with two slaves, as though I was more a threat than the tempest above deck. The Captains sons were above, the sails had been taken down and we sat in storm, battered by the sea from every direction. I heard them scrambling above through the night, and the rain and storm came heavy at us, as though God spoke to us in tongues of sleet and wind. The crew above me spoke to each other, their lips dripping with water, they said, “Still it rains, and there in that box he remains.” The ship began to sway and the planks creaked, and the sides bulged, and the animals screamed deafening screams that echoed through the hold, in notes louder than the cacophony of Hell itself. The ship swayed left and then right, and the crates slid to each side of the ship, crushing the animals against the walls. The poor beasts tore at each others flesh, gnashing and biting at skin and wall, not knowing of the miles of sea on the other side. The voices of men stopped, and I heard only the storm above. Then the ship capsized. The sound of animals fighting ceased. When at last the heavens were steady again, I found myself alone in the darkness. I saw only this blackness, deep, and cold, and wet. The water seeped in at the seams of the bow, flowing into the darkness of the broken ship, and the unexplored patches arose and spread, black shadows moved about in them, the roar of the beasts of prey was quite different now. It was one of despair. My cellmates were silent, dead or unconscious, I didn’t know. The cabin filled to its half and the water covered us, and we were hanging by our ankles in the foam. Animals drowned all around, screaming as the water engulfed them, screaming and dying, their hooves and paws could not tread the death water of the black ocean.

“I am sinking, o’ Captain, I am sinking.” I said, to none but the great sea.

Man, that was a lot of typing. I had to buy the font they use because I couldnt find it anywhere. Some people are charging hundreds of dollars for font packs. fucking crazy. The Tiger and Duke font was only $25.

yo dude, PM me your email and i'll send you the hi-res scans of LTLHLU

edit: i forgot how fucking sweet the CD gatefold is. same with tiger and the duke. the new artwork is shameful.

For anyone that didn't put two and two together; Shem, Japheth and Ham are Noah's sons in the bible. Noah is the captain and "the sound of animals fighting" are the animals on the ark. I've just never reads all of the Acts so I had no clue. At least that's what I took away from it.

Will be at the glasshouse sunday as well, So stoked. Never been to that venue but have heard great things about it.

One of my favorite venues around. They allow ins and outs and there is a cul de sac just past the paid lots where you can park for free if you get there early enough.

One of my favorite venues around. They allow ins and outs and there is a cul de sac just past the paid lots where you can park for free if you get there early enough.

Sweet, Thanks for the heads up! It's relatively small right? which should make for a more intimate setting. Irregardless so stoked to finally see tsoaf since I missed the few shows they did way back when. Plus appleseed cast will be a great opener for them.

Sweet, Thanks for the heads up! It's relatively small right? which should make for a more intimate setting. Irregardless so stoked to finally see tsoaf since I missed the few shows they did way back when. Plus appleseed cast will be a great opener for them.

800 Cap I believe, much smaller than the Wiltern tonight.