paying rent

For those of you that still live at home, do you pay rent? Have you ever paid your parents rent? Discuss.

my parents let me move back in rent free so I could be closer to school, but then I graduated and couldn't find a job. They asked for cheap rent but I just moved out instead.

I think it depends on the situation. How well you get along, are you allowed the same freedoms you'd get from living with an actual roommate, if you pay but they still treat you like they did when you were 15. How much are the charging you. Etc

I pay 200 a month to my folks which I guess pays for my insurance, phone bill, and probably helps on utlities. I'm 24 and going back to college so it helps.

They've threatened to kick me out if I got a tattoo though, gonna see if i can't wind them down on that.

After next school year I'll have my associates and see if I can't get a decent job with that to move out.

My parents didn't charge me rent.  I went to college for 5 years (had to repeat Sophomore year when I transferred due to mismatched credits) then lived at home for 2.5 years before I could afford to move out.  They said as long as I kept a job and contributed around the house I could stay rent-free.  I'm still thankful for that.  Meanwhile, my little brother failed out of college in the 1st semester and worked full time since 2008 and contributes nothing but disrespect and lives there rent free as a police officer now.  Go figure.

My parents didn't charge me rent.   They said as long as I kept a job and contributed around the house I could stay rent-free.  I'm still thankful for that.  

this. still living at home so i can save up a down payment for a house. would i like to not live at home? sure. i'd love to have a dog, but i can't as long as i live there. but my parents are both really cool and we get along well, so i'm actually enjoying spending time with them cuz they won't be around forever. they actually like having me there and are happy to help me be able to save for my future. the fact that i don't go out or drink or do anything too awfully weird probably works in my favor.

I would totally live with my parents. they're the best.

I moved out with I was 17, lived on campus, then apartments and houses, I've moved over a dozen times.

I was going to go home and live with them if I couldn't find a job in ohio, and was planning on paying them rent. 

my mom told me she knew someone who charged their kid rent, but then put that money in a savings account for them for whenever they moved out.

my best friend's dad lives with her and her son and pays her rent. that's a pretty backwards relationship, but her dad's cool and watches her kid for her when she wants to do something kid-free, so it works out for everyone.

I pay $1600 for a two bedroom apartment in Southern California.

If you live with your parents and they ask for a little bit of rent... pay it (not that this was my situation, I'm just saying). The stress of living at home with your parents is a much better deal than working just to pay rent somewhere.

From 18-19 I lived at home and paid $800 a month rent and that was just because my parents are stupid with money.

Now my parents are at the point where they probably need to move in with me or my brother because they blew threw their entire retirement fund in less that 10 years.  I just can't pull the trigger on offering to get a place big enough for them and me.   It's the logical thing to do I just think I would end up murdering them within a few weeks or I'd end up just killing myself.

They aren't bad people just really stupid and infuriating.  Things like buying me and my brother couple hundred dollar GPS car things because I mentioned getting turned around when I went to Milwaukee for a concert, then talking about how they couldn't afford to go and buy food this week.  5 years back at least I let them know that I would refuse any attempt on their part to spend any money on me.  Thats worked pretty well except for the GPS incident in which I made my mom cry and a couple others.

I pay $1600 for a two bedroom apartment in Southern California.

If you live with your parents and they ask for a little bit of rent... pay it (not that this was my situation, I'm just saying). The stress of living at home with your parents is a much better deal than working just to pay rent somewhere.

I pay about $1200 in SC. 

My parents didn't charge me rent. I went to college for 5 years (had to repeat Sophomore year when I transferred due to mismatched credits) then lived at home for 2.5 years before I could afford to move out. They said as long as I kept a job and contributed around the house I could stay rent-free. I'm still thankful for that. Meanwhile, my little brother failed out of college in the 1st semester and worked full time since 2008 and contributes nothing but disrespect and lives there rent free as a police officer now. Go figure.

This is how it always is. Sister-in-law gets knocked up, gets a house. My wife is super responsible, graduates from college, and doesn't get shit.

I currently pay $670 in SC (Two Bedroom Townhouse) but I have paid upwards of $1100.

When I moved back to SC from NYC, my parents didn't make me pay rent but I paid the light bill. We had an understanding that me moving home was temporary anyways. Just enough for mento get back on my feet

This is how it always is. Sister-in-law gets knocked up, gets a house. My wife is super responsible, graduates from college, and doesn't get shit.

Same for my GF. Parents consigned on loans and paid for her sisters college. Refused to do so for my GF. Completely fucked her credit before she the age of 21

I moved in with my sister and her family after a bad bad bad breakup with the ex. I pay $200 but I help with her kids and I cook once a week. Life is probably too cushy right now and I'm not in any rush to move out. Although i do plan on moving at the end of next year as soon as I graduate college.