What are some scenes that are heavy in high school culture now?

Graduated in 2012. A generic mouth breather listens to a lot of EDM music, radio pop, and country. Pretty typical. I don't think it changes much from being 18 in high school, or 25. The majority of people just listen to what is shoved in their face.

This. Also radio rap was popular in my area.

EDM is becoming absolutely huge in the Seattle area. Everyone's into it these days.

Other shit like Drake, Wiz Khalifa and Yeezus are still staples as well. The whole "u only liv once thats the moto nigga yolo/yung munney cash munney bisness" crowd isn't getting any smaller.

There are less than ten people at my high school who listen to any sort of punk rock at all (excluding Green Day, everyone likes American Idiot). 

Indie shit like Broken Bells is starting to get big around here, too. 

All typical mouthbreather shit, like barkinglot said. 

Oh yes, I forgot. Any popular festival band. The Lumineers, Arcade Fire, Cage the Elephant, Arctic Monkeys, Bastille. You know...the bland shit that kids call "indie rock" these days. A few of my friends are obsessed with all those bands, and think the world revolves around them. They think those bands are "obscure" ish, compared to what most kids listen to, but really it's just radio rock marketed to be "indie", and shoved down their throats.

My one friend is freakishly obsessed with Arcade Fire. It's 75% of what he listens to, and he always plays them at get togethers. He especially loves The Suburbs because he found them in like 2012. Anyways, one day I told him Funeral was widely considered to be their magnum opus. He told me that was bullshit and just because some people on the internet think it's their best doesn't mean that it is. I proceeded to tell him that yes, it's obviously a subjective matter, but more people think it is the best than any other of their albums. He lost his mind and couldn't comprehend what I was saying and got pissed. He also refuses to like any music I show him, because he didn't find it himself. I think he's convinced that he's finding all these massive rock bands on his own.

I don't get the average music listener.

High school class of 2012. In the midwest it was a lot of shitty EDM, and generic indie-folk stuff that started to get extremely popular. Rap/hip-hop, rock, and generic pop is as popular as ever.

Lately the indie-folk stuff has curbed off, but the EDM chugs along at full force.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the indie scene is pretty fucking massive, but that's pretty much everywhere I feel. This one tool in one of my classes used to talk like he was the bee's knees because he listened to stuff like Animal Collective, and Deerhunter. When he saw/heard someone listening to something that wasn't a "hipster" band he would call them a pleb. He was completely serious too. What a prick.

This one tool in one of my classes used to talk like he was the bee's knees because he listened to stuff like Animal Collective, and Deerhunter. When he saw/heard someone listening to something that wasn't a "hipster" band he would call them a pleb. He was completely serious too. What a prick.

/mu/ in a nutshell.

I'm not really sure what high school is. Between 14 and 18 or something right?

/mu/ in a nutshell.

I'm not really sure what high school is. Between 14 and 18 or something right?

I think that's pretty much how he decided what music he liked. If /mu/ liked an album he would praise it, if they didn't, then he would talk about how shit it was. It was kind of funny as shit, but he was still a tool.

Also, yeah high school is pretty much 14-18.

I think that's pretty much how he decided what music he liked. If /mu/ liked an album he would praise it, if they didn't, then he would talk about how shit it was. It was kind of funny as shit, but he was still a tool.

Also, yeah high school is pretty much 14-18.

Oh, one of those people...

In Sweden we have "gymnasium" which I think is pretty much like high school (gymnasium is 15/16 to 18/19). People in my gymnasium mostly listens to boring indie pop and pretentious jazz. The punk/emo scene is reaaally small here and in my school perhaps 5 people listens to such music, and I have yet to meet anyone who listens to any experimental music like dark ambient.

Oh, one of those people...

In Sweden we have "gymnasium" which I think is pretty much like high school (gymnasium is 15/16 to 18/19). People in my gymnasium mostly listens to boring indie pop and pretentious jazz. The punk/emo scene is reaaally small here and in my school perhaps 5 people listens to such music, and I have yet to meet anyone who listens to any experimental music like dark ambient.

similar in Germany..I graduated in 2011 and most of the people did just listen to the shit that gets blasted in all the generic clubs aka chart music. We have a stronger "dark scene" here in Germany, so you will always find at least a handful of people who listen to Gothic and Metal but in fact most of these just look like they listen to it but are actually blasting Slipknot or similar stuff..

I am now at University and of course most of the generic club people stayed the same but there are a lot more "alternative" people who actually listen to stuff that I listen to as well.

similar in Germany..I graduated in 2011 and most of the people did just listen to the shit that gets blasted in all the generic clubs aka chart music. We have a stronger "dark scene" here in Germany, so you will always find at least a handful of people who listen to Gothic and Metal but in fact most of these just look like they listen to it but are actually blasting Slipknot or similar stuff..

I am now at University and of course most of the generic club people stayed the same but there are a lot more "alternative" people who actually listen to stuff that I listen to as well.

Anyone still listen to kraut rock and synth pop and dark wave and stuff?

Oh yeah forgot that we have pretty many fans of shitty metal bands. I see people with Dream Theater shirts, Sabaton shirts and Raubtier shirts on a daily basis.

Graduated in 07 with 49 people, no one was all that into music really. There was a small subset of us that were sort of into the big Tooth & Nail bands of that era along with Relient K, but other than that I don't recall ever really hearing people talk about music. Small Christian high schools are weird.

The upside is that I don't harbor much nostalgia for bad teenager music, since I listened to Christian music pretty much exclusively until college and pretty much all of it aged so terribly I can't even listen to it now.