World Cup 2014 Discussion

Guest FREE_ATTICUS

I banned the account for 7 days thinking that it had been hacked and give us time to look into it. How were we supposed to know that shit was drunkenly pre-meditated?!?!

I'll unban it by morning when I'm on the computer.

if you forgive me, i forgive you

<3

Yeah I don't think freeing atticus was worth anyone's time. Maybe water down the drinks next time?

Also why all the hate on Wondo? He missed an easy shot but how many shots did Belgium take? They missed an easy shot or two as well. I mean a win for the US would have been awesome but the better team definitely won. This is coming from an amateur soccer watcher.

Yeah I don't think freeing atticus was worth anyone's time. Maybe water down the drinks next time?

Also why all the hate on Wondo? He missed an easy shot but how many shots did Belgium take? They missed an easy shot or two as well. I mean a win for the US would have been awesome but the better team definitely won. This is coming from an amateur soccer watcher.

Its not about that really, the states just had veryyyy few good opportunities (In Regular time)

So to blow that kinda opportunity is just shooting yourself.

No hate for him but what everyone is saying is that a guy with no right foot could have put that in the back of the net.

I'm going...

Brazil

Holland

Argentina

France

France is coming up against the first good defence they've really had to face, I think they've had it pretty easy and things are about to change.

Columbia has been absolutely insane, I cannot see Brazil beating them.

We agree in Netherlands. Costa Rica' ride is over I think, they are not as good as they are leading on. And Holland will exploit their weak back line.

Argentina could win. Easily. I just would rather Belgium. I'm hoping the momentum they have can carry through.

But as usual. It's anyone's game.

I'll go Colombia, Costa Rica, France, Belgium.

Holland struggled against defensive set teams and Costa Rica has great momentum and no pressure. Columbia is the only team that has looked consistently good - Brazil haven't. France midfield is going to run rings around this German midfield. Plus the German defense won't be able to handle Greizman and Valbuena. Belgium defense is too good, Messi and Argentina have struggled against even shit defenses, and Argentina defense is venerable so I only see Belgium winning there.

Well see, anything can happen!

24 late but, I was rooting for you guys. Best game of the tourney IMO so far.

If the US wants to be taken seriously in the football world, the first thing they need to do is stop referring to the team as "the USA men's national team". Seriously.

What else should they be referred to as? Just curious.

I'll go Colombia, Costa Rica, France, Belgium.

Holland struggled against defensive set teams and Costa Rica has great momentum and no pressure. Columbia is the only team that has looked consistently good - Brazil haven't. France midfield is going to run rings around this German midfield. Plus the German defense won't be able to handle Greizman and Valbuena. Belgium defense is too good, Messi and Argentina have struggled against even shit defenses, and Argentina defense is venerable so I only see Belgium winning there.

Well see, anything can happen!

I can see France happening, but I just can't see Costa Rica continuing, especially against a Dutch team that has overall looked solid.

Columbia Germany would be filthy.

The United States, America, or Americans. Honestly it's been starting to erk me lately too because any other country is simply just called Germany or the Germans etc. it just sounds weird.

People have been saying the United States or US Team as well. Even a Team USA here or there. 

The United States, America, or Americans. Honestly it's been starting to erk me lately too because any other country is simply just called Germany or the Germans etc. it just sounds weird.

Oh cmon! If another country wanted to be officially or unofficially called X National Team, I say who the fuck cares? 

Nobody says that kind of thing i.e. German Football Team, English Football Team not German Men's National Team. It just makes us sound as dumb as it may sound...American as shit haha

Agree! It's stuff like this that stops every other footballing nation taking The US seriously. Just embrace the sport as it already exists, stop americanising it. Honestly, i know it's pathetic to even care but it's so annoying. if you want to see how the rest of the world views the US when it comes to football, look no further than here:

twitter.com/usasoccerguy

Agree! It's stuff like this that stops every other footballing nation taking The US seriously. Just embrace the sport as it already exists, stop americanising it. Honestly, i know it's pathetic to even care but it's so annoying. if you want to see how the rest of the world views the US when it comes to football, look no further than here:

twitter.com/usasoccerguy

I'm pretty sure that's a troll/satire account. I don't know I feel like some of the grievances aired in here against the US (or whatever) is kinda nitpicky. Like old man baseball fan nitpicky. I mean I LOVE baseball, but there are some real nitpicky conservative baseball fans that drive me batshit crazy. So quick note MLB has tried to do the World Baseball Classic which is supposed to be the "World Cup of Baseball" and during the finals fans have come from Japan and the Dominician Republic and have offered a COMPLETELY different baseball experience than traditional US fans. Some US people complain about those fans but I enjoy watching the Japanese organized cheers and bands and the Dominican drums and dances. 

TL:DR Take a multiculturalism approach and not a homogenized melting pot approach and just let the US fans be but gently tease. They'll (We'll I guess not sure here) get it.

Also I really want these South American teams to own this World Cup.

My take on it is actually quite simple.

One of the main reasons futbol had a rise in popularity in the United States is our women's national squad. They at a time were household names here unlike many of the male players. Coupled with the US having a strong showing in the Olympics from both male and female sides on various sports, it's kinda become routine to say the difference. Just a problem of having multiple sports

But I see where it would irk even us. It's the World Cup, we KNOW it's only men so you only have to say the United States team. But then again were filled with so many ignorant folks that you have to simplify it for some. Many of our "fans" are still just yelling 'Merica! Just for the sake of yelling.

I saw the boys play vs Nigeria right before leaving for brazil. At the stadium I had a lady behind me and her friend constantly complaining that I wasn't sitting and no one was sitting and how she didn't pay to stand. It ruined the match for me. The energy was amazing but there were these pockets of people that had no business there. Towards the end due to my lack of refusal to move she started making fun of the guys jersey I was wearing, questioning if he was even playing.

I was wearing number 8.

It's the cons of progress