MAN ADVICE v2.0

I think maybe you just need to take a break for a minute and focus on building a relationship with commas.

Then, maybe after a bit, you can start again with other punctuation and work your way back up to the opposite sex.

I choked on water reading this and now my lap is soaked.

My gf just got her own place this past weekend. I feared this day so much cause I honestly believed it would negativity impact our relationship, her having her own place. Basically because I believed she was seeing her ex behind my back. I'll definitely say I was a very foolish person to let go so many of the things that have happened in the time we've been together but I'm happy to say I can now move forward. Tonight, after having strayed over for the last 4 nights since she's moved in, she insisted she needed alone time. It seemed like bs to me. I felt like she just wanted me gone for a different reason. After being stuck with a dead battery right down the way for a few hours I was gonna stop by before going home and her exs truck was straight up there.

I can't even begin to explain the horrible things she's put me through but I'm not here to haze her. I let this shit go on and believed she wouldn't fuck me over this bad but knowing the truth will set me free to move forward and find joy again. I can finally let go of this fear and anxiety and furthermore stop blaming myself for things I didn't do wrong. at the least the Mets won a pennant tonight. Here we go again, the sad boy life.

Fuck, man.  It's good to keep your head up.  There's plenty of girls out there that won't do that kinda shit to you. Just gotta keep chugging along.

I think maybe you just need to take a break for a minute and focus on building a relationship with commas.

Then, maybe after a bit, you can start again with other punctuation and work your way back up to the opposite sex.

damn, usually I use too many commas but that paragraph is brutal.  I'm a mess!

So I've recently met this girl who I really like (we'll call her "A").  I met her through a mutual friend and we instantly hit it off.  When we hang out in a group, it's usually just me and A talking with each other.  In the five days we've known each other, we've hung out every day.  On Thursday she was over at my house until 3am.

But there's a few minor issues and one major one...

1. I actually like this girl.  She's dateable. She's the type of girl that I can talk with for hours and hours and it seems like minutes.  She's the kind of girl that I can sit in silence with and it doesn't feel awkward.  She's not like the random girls I've been hooking up with - we connect on several levels.  I respect her.

Now the issue with this is that I have very very little experience with this kind of relationship.  After the dissolution of my recent long-term relationship, I've just been having a series of frivolous flings - which are an entirely different game.  When you "netflix and chill", it naturally leads to sex.  With this girl, when we "netflix and chill"-ed, it just lead to us talking with each other for hours.  I could have made a move, but I feel like I respect her too much to rush into things like this.

2. Here's the big problem - she's an exchange student from Sweden.  She's only here for the semester.  She'll be gone in less than two months.  This is doomed from the beginning.

I've gotten advice from several friends, ranging from "Just go for it, dude!" to "It can be a whirlwind romantic tryst - then you'll have a friend in Sweden!"  I'm just already feeling the pangs of heartbreak before it even starts because I know that it's guaranteed to end.  But then again, you don't sit down for a gourmet meal and think "fuck this, I'm gonna poop this amazing food out in however many hours - what's the point of enjoying it?"  You enjoy it while it lasts, right?  But how am I going to enjoy this, when the bittersweet harbinger of the end is always beckoning?

So are you saying you DONT respect the girls you hook up with?

Cause like that's pretty shitty.

Also just go or it, who gives a fuck? At least there's a countdown to the heartbreak. Plus maybe something nice will happen?

It's not that I don't respect them, but I don't see them as potential partners.  There's no fear of loss with them - because if they chose to hook up with someone else, I wouldn't care.

But this girl, I would care.  I like her and would like to invest myself into her.

She's only here for the semester.  She'll be gone in less than two months.  This is doomed from the beginning.

Sounds like a 90's movie.

One of my best friends met a guy from the Netherlands. He visited her. She visited him. Eventually, she moved over there. 

They became engaged to be married at some point.

They had a terrible breakup and she has since moved back to the States.

So, yeah. You're doomed.

el oh el jay kay. Enjoy the fuck out of her company while you can.

Sounds like a 90's movie.

One of my best friends met a guy from the Netherlands. He visited her. She visited him. Eventually, she moved over there. 

They became engaged to be married at some point.

They had a terrible breakup and she has since moved back to the States.

So, yeah. You're doomed.

el oh el jay kay. Enjoy the fuck out of her company while you can.

I don't even know what to expect from this.  That would be a huge decision to move to another country and it's fairly early to even think about that.  I'm still thinking about how this will even progress while she's here.

My biggest fear is scaring her away.

So I've recently met this girl who I really like (we'll call her "A"). I met her through a mutual friend and we instantly hit it off. When we hang out in a group, it's usually just me and A talking with each other. In the five days we've known each other, we've hung out every day. On Thursday she was over at my house until 3am.

1. I actually like this girl. She's dateable. She's the type of girl that I can talk with for hours and hours and it seems like minutes. She's the kind of girl that I can sit in silence with and it doesn't feel awkward. She's not like the random girls I've been hooking up with - we connect on several levels. I respect her.

Now the issue with this is that I have very very little experience with this kind of relationship. After the dissolution of my recent long-term relationship, I've just been having a series of frivolous flings - which are an entirely different game. When you "netflix and chill", it naturally leads to sex. With this girl, when we "netflix and chill"-ed, it just lead to us talking with each other for hours. I could have made a move, but I feel like I respect her too much to rush into things like this.

2. Here's the big problem - she's an exchange student from Sweden. She's only here for the semester. She'll be gone in less than two months. This is doomed from the beginning.

I've gotten advice from several friends, ranging from "Just go for it, dude!" to "It can be a whirlwind romantic tryst - then you'll have a friend in Sweden!" I'm just already feeling the pangs of heartbreak before it even starts because I know that it's guaranteed to end. But then again, you don't sit down for a gourmet meal and think "fuck this, I'm gonna poop this amazing food out in however many hours - what's the point of enjoying it?" You enjoy it while it lasts, right? But how am I going to enjoy this, when the bittersweet harbinger of the end is always beckoning?

My boyfriend lives in Germany and I live in America. the long distance sucks but we are making it work. We text and skype pretty frequently and things have been pretty good. Don't dismiss it just because of the long distance.

My boyfriend lives in Germany and I live in America. the long distance sucks but we are making it work. We text and skype pretty frequently and things have been pretty good. Don't dismiss it just because of the long distance.

Honestly, I'm just terrified of the imposed time limit.  This is the kinda girl I don't wanna rush with, but I feel that it's kind of enforced.

Don't overthink it or you'll just stress yourself out and waste the time you have now. Just go with it.

Yesss.  I'm getting out of work early tonight and should be able to get in some quality time with her tonight.  I was thinking it'd be the night that I can make my intentions/feelings known.

Honestly, I'm just terrified of the imposed time limit.  This is the kinda girl I don't wanna rush with, but I feel that it's kind of enforced.

Time doesn't end just because she's going back to Sweden. You never know what the future will bring. Maybe you will visit her and like it so much, that you could imagine living there. Or maybe she is willing to come back. Or it just won't work. Everything's possible, but as long as you have a mindset like "I am/we are doomed", it's not very likely to be something good. So just go for it.

At first I was gonna say holy shit it's only been 5 days, you're rushing it, give it some time. But it sounds like you don't have time. And I also was thinking about how jimmy and i said 'I love you' like a week after we met in person so I guess when you know something is right you know. And sometimes you don't, life is weird.

I am however a big believer in the fact that your 'soulmate(s)' might not be right down the street from you. They might not be in your town, your city, your state, or even your country. Sometimes things like this happen and you meet someone and you're like 'ahh, there you are, this is nice'

If you are going to tell her you have feelings for her, I wouldn't be too intense about it. The 5 days thing is still pretty damn fast. But yeah, go for it. why not?

So I've recently met this girl who I really like (we'll call her "A").  I met her through a mutual friend and we instantly hit it off.  When we hang out in a group, it's usually just me and A talking with each other.  In the five days we've known each other, we've hung out every day.  On Thursday she was over at my house until 3am.

1. I actually like this girl.  She's dateable. She's the type of girl that I can talk with for hours and hours and it seems like minutes.  She's the kind of girl that I can sit in silence with and it doesn't feel awkward.  She's not like the random girls I've been hooking up with - we connect on several levels.  I respect her.

Now the issue with this is that I have very very little experience with this kind of relationship.  After the dissolution of my recent long-term relationship, I've just been having a series of frivolous flings - which are an entirely different game.  When you "netflix and chill", it naturally leads to sex.  With this girl, when we "netflix and chill"-ed, it just lead to us talking with each other for hours.  I could have made a move, but I feel like I respect her too much to rush into things like this.

2. Here's the big problem - she's an exchange student from Sweden.  She's only here for the semester.  She'll be gone in less than two months.  This is doomed from the beginning.

I've gotten advice from several friends, ranging from "Just go for it, dude!" to "It can be a whirlwind romantic tryst - then you'll have a friend in Sweden!"  I'm just already feeling the pangs of heartbreak before it even starts because I know that it's guaranteed to end.  But then again, you don't sit down for a gourmet meal and think "fuck this, I'm gonna poop this amazing food out in however many hours - what's the point of enjoying it?"  You enjoy it while it lasts, right?  But how am I going to enjoy this, when the bittersweet harbinger of the end is always beckoning?

Oh, Mr. Record Junkie...I feel like you and I have been going through some pretty similar situations in the last few months. I have not fallen for a girl that lives in another country..yet..but I can always totally relate to your stories. I'v been reacquainted with the dating world and the 'hook up' culture that we live in these days. Or netflix and chill, whatever the kiddos call it. And it sucks. It fills that void for a few solid hours then its back to square one, and usually never seeing and/or talking to that person again. I'm glad you have caught feelings again (despite the situation) even just to know that your able to feel that way for someone again. I currently can't feel that way about anyone no matter how hard I try. So be grateful for at least that. I think you need to let her know the way you feel, and hey, you never know. She may be willing to come back out here for you. Maybe you'll find yourself willing to go out there for her. Distance can literally make or break you. Let it make you if that's what you want and take a risk on it. The outcome may surprise you one day. Regardless, good luck. Let us know how it unfolds.

Probably but it doesn't post to Facebook or anything. People can't tell if you're on tinder or not unless they see you on tinder.

I understand that part, but would rather not have my crap shared for who knows what reason. I hate how everything is linked to social media these days.

I understand that part, but would rather not have my crap shared for who knows what reason. I hate how everything is linked to social media these days.

All it does is show common "likes" and mutual friends. I was hesitant because I never link anything to my Facebook, but nothing weird happened.

Time doesn't end just because she's going back to Sweden. You never know what the future will bring. Maybe you will visit her and like it so much, that you could imagine living there. Or maybe she is willing to come back. Or it just won't work. Everything's possible, but as long as you have a mindset like "I am/we are doomed", it's not very likely to be something good. So just go for it.

At first I was gonna say holy shit it's only been 5 days, you're rushing it, give it some time. But it sounds like you don't have time. And I also was thinking about how jimmy and i said 'I love you' like a week after we met in person so I guess when you know something is right you know. And sometimes you don't, life is weird.

I am however a big believer in the fact that your 'soulmate(s)' might not be right down the street from you. They might not be in your town, your city, your state, or even your country. Sometimes things like this happen and you meet someone and you're like 'ahh, there you are, this is nice'

If you are going to tell her you have feelings for her, I wouldn't be too intense about it. The 5 days thing is still pretty damn fast. But yeah, go for it. why not?

Oh, Mr. Record Junkie...I feel like you and I have been going through some pretty similar situations in the last few months. I have not fallen for a girl that lives in another country..yet..but I can always totally relate to your stories. I'v been reacquainted with the dating world and the 'hook up' culture that we live in these days. Or netflix and chill, whatever the kiddos call it. And it sucks. It fills that void for a few solid hours then its back to square one, and usually never seeing and/or talking to that person again. I'm glad you have caught feelings again (despite the situation) even just to know that your able to feel that way for someone again. I currently can't feel that way about anyone no matter how hard I try. So be grateful for at least that. I think you need to let her know the way you feel, and hey, you never know. She may be willing to come back out here for you. Maybe you'll find yourself willing to go out there for her. Distance can literally make or break you. Let it make you if that's what you want and take a risk on it. The outcome may surprise you one day. Regardless, good luck. Let us know how it unfolds.

I honestly don't think I should pursue this relationship just to spare myself of so much grief.  I don't think I'm honestly ready to invest myself in someone again, especially when she's gonna be leaving before the year ends.  I just have this void, this hole in me that needs to be filled with something.  Sometimes that's just mindless hookups and flings, but other times there's something more.  There's depth and complexity, aspirations for companionship, love.

But then I think about the anxiety, the fears and regrets that come with it.  The emotional and spiritual anguish.  And I fall back into these mindless hookups.

Maybe I'm just broken.