Discussion Regarding Posting Guidelines/Ground Rules

See, I feel a few of the recent examples weren't good clean fun. They were people derailing threads then bragging about it with their little click to win some weird internet scene point. I love, love, love cat gifs. I love cat gifs in all threads. What's happened of late was totally weird to me however and not done with the intention to lighten the mood of a crazy thread. 

you mean the way people were in one thread and then laughing about it together in another?

Seems like Dave nailed it. 

From what I saw those thread derailments weren't particularly funny, it was just noise. The argument about it being good, clean fun works if everyone is in agreement. I could give a fuck about Blink 182 but those who do deserve a place to talk about it. Even if all they do is bitch incessantly about Michael's being sold out of LP frames. 

You guys knew you were trolling them, which is fine, but you can't get all sanctimonious when you get called out for it. 

I don't really know what was going on in there, but it seemed silly. If everyone one was in on it, then I've my point is moot. 

I am legitimately trying to think of something helpful, but my brain is broken or something right now so I'm just gonna add fuel to the fire.

m4pOh.gif

See, I feel a few of the recent examples weren't good clean fun. They were people derailing threads then bragging about it with their little click to win some weird internet scene point. I love, love, love cat gifs. I love cat gifs in all threads. What's happened of late was totally weird to me however and not done with the intention to lighten the mood of a crazy thread. 

I disagree. There was a decent amount of tension in that Cartel thread that I thought the cat .gifs were good to lighten that mood a bit. For me, it was a reminder that 'Hey! We're on the internet! Don't be so serious!'

i legitimately try to only use a silly cat gif to respond to people's posts; not just as some weird filler. i don't like people who post just to post.

zeph, you're totally right. it really became a problem when there were others involved being extremely inappropriate and seemed to skate.

kinda feels like the whole incident with david price & the sox last week..

From what I saw those thread derailments weren't particularly funny, it was just noise. The argument about it being good, clean fun works if everyone is in agreement. I could give a fuck about Blink 182 but those who do deserve a place to talk about it. Even if all they do is bitch incessantly about Michael's being sold out of LP frames. 

You guys knew you were trolling them, which is fine, but you can't get all sanctimonious when you get called out for it. 

I don't really know what was going on in there, but it seemed silly. If everyone one was in on it, then I've my point is moot. 

The point is, there has been some fearmongering by the mods so that people are afraid to even post .gifs in any thread now.

I disagree. There was a decent amount of tension in that Cartel thread that I thought the cat .gifs were good to lighten that mood a bit. For me, it was a reminder that 'Hey! We're on the internet! Don't be so serious!'

this was 100% my intent with any gifs i posted in there. even the dude from cartel was going along with it and adding to the cat postings.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel. I don't care for the Blink threads, but I don't want the same thing happening in a thread I care about. If you like Blink and want them all on your wall, you should have somewhere to talk about it.

You'll have to excuse me if I missed the mood lightening since it took a different tone in the way it was being egged on in the small talk thread. 

To another point made up above: Way too many threads are being locked. There is no question a bit of overzealousness of late in this regard. If people aren't being threatened, harassed, racism isn't being perpetuated etc - then we should let them take their course with a couple warnings if the mods are being bombarded with complaints. 

The locking/unlocking of the same thread over and over is kind of making the staff look like they don't know what they should be doing.  I feel like the more that happens, the more we'll see the same thread created again, and ultimately conversations like this popping up.

I'm not sure how to quantify the efficacy of cat gifs relative to thread tension but I think the Cartel thread was primarily diffused by an actual band member showing up and being pretty fucking cool about the whole thing. 

Then again, I could be wrong, I don't even like cats. 

To another point made up above: Way too many threads are being locked. There is no question a bit of overzealousness of late in this regard. If people aren't being threatened, harassed, racism isn't being perpetuated etc - then we should let them take their course with a couple warnings if the mods are being bombarded with complaints. 

The locking/unlocking of the same thread over and over is kind of making the staff look like they don't know what they should be doing.  I feel like the more that happens, the more we'll see the same thread created again, and ultimately conversations like this popping up.

agreed to both of the above.

HERE'S AN IDEA! Initial bannings for getting off topic etc. in the Vinyl section should be more of just a timeout, like a couple minutes or a single day TOPS. You know, slap their hands, let them know what's up and if things are made worse, then lay down the longer ban.

I'm not sure how to quantify the efficacy of cat gifs relative to thread tension but I think the Cartel thread was primarily diffused by an actual band member showing up and being pretty fucking cool about the whole thing. 

That is definitely part of what happened there. He was a good guy.

HERE'S AN IDEA! Initial bannings for getting off topic etc. in the Vinyl section should be more of just a timeout, like a couple minutes or a single day TOPS. You know, slap their hands, let them know what's up and if things are made worse, then lay down the longer ban.

seconded.

Didn't said band member also contribute cat gifs/jokes though? So should he have gotten reported/warned/banned as well?

Search Function here should absolutely be fixed if possible. 

Yep, I've started a number of threads that have already been dealt with because I couldn't find any relevant threads through the search before.

Also, internet forums are a totally different thing to what a lot of people expect on the internet, so having snarky replies as soon as OP posts their totally innocent, valid questions does nothing other than help prop up the NO NOOBZ sign and put newcomers off.

Was it Allison who said that mean-spirited behavior and personal jabs need to be curbed? Because I agree there too.

It spirals way out of control. There's a difference between saying something in a joking manner and saying it with venom.

This. People pick up on that behavior and then it turns into a bullying situation, which I hate to say because I think a lot of "bullying" that's getting hyped these days is bullshit.

I wish Dave would come out of mod retirement and reclaim his post.

I really do think that VC could benefit with the addition of 1 or 2 mods. I remember last time we thought we were going to get a new one and there was a whole thread of people campaigning to become one but for whatever reason, it didn't happen. I don't think there needs to be another campaign trail but there are definitely a few level headed members who never get involved in any of the bullshit that would be more than capable of being one.

I think a good rule of a thumb is that if you're going to post something sexist, you should probably expect at least 4 females to post paragraphs letting you know why what you said was wrong.

Going off of this, I would like to know why threads like the boobs and ass appreciations were unlocked under the idea of "don't click on the thread if you don't like it," meanwhile posting .gifs gets people banned and threads locked and/or deleted.