PO: Ty Segall-Manipulator 2xlp

Some people buy records to listen to them and don't really care about the collectability of the record it is just their preferred way to listen to music.

Agreed. And some people buy them for both. What's the problem? I have the black version, and I'm going to listen to it. But I'm going to seek out the red at the same time. If I get the red, I'll sell the black because I don't need more than one of any album.

I have over 2000 LP's, some are collectible, some are not. I listen to them all the same. And in the rare case that a variant sounds like shit (Thee Oh Sees Drop on gold comes to mind), I prefer the black vinyl, because I do actually listen to them on a good system.

I just never understood why anyone would question the motives of any other collector, especially on a forum called Vinyl Collective. Especially ones whose collections are peppered with variants.

The questioning comes from you bitching like the label owes you a direct route to a particular color. I'm sure you'll easily be able to find this on the color variant if you wait it out and I'll bet you'll be able to grab it for the same price as black if you play your cards right.

Who cares what's on my tradelist. The point is, I acquire my records and variants however I can. I don't go crazy acting like a label fooled me into buying a record twice and at the promise of a colored variant. If I know that a label isn't selling a record a certain way and I want a specific color, I bite the bullet and go searching for whichever one I want and I don't hold anyone responsible for it other than myself.

At this point, I've collected plenty of records essentially to play them. That's how it started. I was just fascinated with the vinyl format and wanted to listen to my favorite albums that way. Some of what I've picked up has been out of collectibility but that's only the ones that are ridiculously rare and are crazy presses of albums of which I am a huge fan. Most of the variants that I have now, I would have no problem selling or trading as long as I can keep one to play. Yes, I went through a "collector's phase" but now I've realized that I just want to play my records on vinyl and on the best sounding press I can get my hands on. Most of my multiple variants are from totally different presses so I can hear for myself which is the best and keep that one and sell off a substandard sounding record. Sometimes its a matter of deciding which one I want to keep if the sound quality is no different.

Its not like "collecting" is the only merit of buying vinyl over just having the mp3. There differences in sound and participation in the playback process and the tangibility of the format. If owning collectibles is the only difference between vinyl and mp3's for you then so be it but there is certainly more to it than that.

In the case of a preorder, I do feel the label owes me something. I paid them well in advance, so they have working capital to make things easier on their end. In many cases with preorders, they go out so long after the you paid that you're unable to file a claim with Paypal if shit happens. That's putting a lot of trust in someone. Also ordering from th direct gives them more profit than going through a distributor. And I did this while being under the impression that since the label doesn't do variants I would only receive a copy on black, which I was more than happy with since their product is solid. But now that I find out that stores got a variant, I do feel a bit irritated that the people who ordered direct from them don't get first crack at the variant. It would have been a welcome surprise.

I think the fact that they deliver a solid product is all they owe you. If they had mentioned a different variant from the get go and then said "you can have this variant when you preorder" then they said "now you can't have that variant that you thought you were getting" that would be bullshit and something that is not cool to do. But that's not what happened. There was a surprise variant and they never made anyone any promises about getting a variant. It just came up. They don't usually do variants but they did unexpectedly this time. Your attitude toward that is arbitrarily filled with entitlement. They don't know you or that you want to collect variants. Obviously, you couldn't have warned them of this fact because you were under the impression (like the rest of us) that the whole press would just be black.

I didn't pre-order because I knew there would be places I could grab this from physically if I decided I want it. I could still just order it from Drag City and I'd like to because they do good work and their prices are more than fair so direct support is great. I'm still on the fence though. The point is, a pre-order doesn't guarantee you anything but a record. They made no promises about variants.

No one has any control over getting this variant. Its just the way it is. I doubt the label even has a way of telling which copies are on red. They seem to be all packaged uniformly with no sticker to indicate a variant.

In the case of a preorder, I do feel the label owes me something. I paid them well in advance, so they have working capital to make things easier on their end. In many cases with preorders, they go out so long after the you paid that you're unable to file a claim with Paypal if shit happens. That's putting a lot of trust in someone. Also ordering from th direct gives them more profit than going through a distributor. And I did this while being under the impression that since the label doesn't do variants I would only receive a copy on black, which I was more than happy with since their product is solid. But now that I find out that stores got a variant, I do feel a bit irritated that the people who ordered direct from them don't get first crack at the variant. It would have been a welcome surprise.

Whoa.

Relax. He's not saying the label owes everyone who pre-orders. He's saying they just owe him specifically. Reserving a rare variant for their most important customer is the least a label can do.

How is he more important then someone who buys in a shop?

I usually can't do preorders because i don't work with a creditcard or paypall so am i less important because of that. If the label gets their money we are all the same to them it"s not that he is a drag city subscriber or something and that they promised special colors.

I'm just looking forward to having the record, red or black.

Stop buying it for the color.

I´ve been collecting Ty Segall records for a long time now, why should i stop collecting variants now? Because they´re doing a randomly inserted variant, which should be no deal to get.

I hope you also tell this to people that have all the 15 different variants of Enema of the State.

I´ve been collecting Ty Segall records for a long time now, why should i stop collecting variants now? Because they´re doing a randomly inserted variant, which should be no deal to get.

I hope you also tell this to people that have all the 15 different variants of Enema of the State.

Ugh, yeah. Even more so. 

Cool random unannounced variant color is a BONUS.  If you get it then surprise you're lucky.  If you didn't....then you got exactly what you bought and should still be happy!

If you want to hunt down the red then they will surely start showing up on ebay and FS lists soon...but don't go and buy additional copies hoping they may be red then get pissed at the label if they aren't, that is just silly.  No one made you buy multiple copies or promised you anything special if you did.

If it is truly random, I actually have no problem with it. My problem would be if they set them aside for certain stores or something like that. I, and when I say I, I mean everybody who pre-ordered, let them borrow $25 until they put the record out. If they were going to hook certain people or stores up, I would feel it would be the people who let them borrow money by pre ordering.

I have the exact same problem with most places I lend money to. I've given hundreds of zero interest loans to Del Taco for years and they still consistently fail to place more than 4-7 packets of Del Scorcho in my bag.

Funny. When I buy three tacos from Del Taco I expect at least 3 Del Scorcho hot sauce packets but many times I end up with one.