Acquiring Music Rights

I've been searching the web trying to find out any information on acquiring music rights in order to press it on vinyl. I have a few pieces I'm interested in as passion projects but I have no clue where to start.

I tried checking the "How To Press A Record" thread but the link put up by the OP is dead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Contact the label/publisher.

Okay. I looked up who owns the rights for this piece and it's Universal Music Co. Do I call and ask to speak to the copyright department.

If I do this I want to do it right. The last thing I want is to be not taken seriously due to my approach.

Have your lawyers talk to the major label lawyers and make sure everything is legal.

Whatever you do, do not contact the artist. The artist should definitely not know that some random dude is pressing their album until the records are in hand and preorders are launched.

Okay. I looked up who owns the rights for this piece and it's Universal Music Co. Do I call and ask to speak to the copyright department.

If I do this I want to do it right. The last thing I want is to be not taken seriously due to my approach.

I would say write them. If you called and they asked you questions you were uncertain of like, how many you're going to press and how much profit you aim to make stuff like that you might get "stuck" and be like , "uhh uhh" and there goes your shot at business with them. With writing them a letter of inquiry they will most likely lay out all the ground rules etc.

not to disuade you, but major label licensing, (Especially Universal) is not cheap. You'd be up against a minimum of a 1000 units (if the title is available.. which pickens are getting a lil slim as of late) and you're looking at a per unit cost of roughly $10/ a pop not including packaging or shipping. Also.. for most titles you're on your own sourcing art for them, which means you'll need a designer who's good enough to pop a 5" piece of art up to 12" without it looking like hell.  Over all.. you're probably up against an $11-$13 a unit cost which is a pretty sizable investment to make.

I work in licensing so I may be able to help a bit.

You'll need to speak with their licensing department. You will more than likely pay a large chunk of money down depending on which artist you're trying to license AND you'll pay a percentage of everything you sell. an example would be you pay $10,000 for the rights and 8% of what you sell.

I don't know if the label would set minimums, but what you'll be out just in licensing and lawyer fees will definitely set those for you.