Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

Speaking of Ben Lukas Boysen... 

Pre-order here https://mailorder.ant-zen.com/product/id/2783

A bit expensive but I didn't risk missing out. Apparently only 325 copies

As someone who loves Gravity but hasn't checked out any of his other albums, is this something I'd probably be into?  And what kind of PPD damage were you looking at when it was all said and done?  On mobile at the moment and can't dial in a total for myself until later on.

Max Richter's SONGS FROM BEFORE is next up on vinyl in the Deutsche Grammophon re-release series ... date is 3/4/16

This is excellent news – especially since I was never really a fan of the original album art.  (Petty complaint, but I stand by it.)  I'll gladly be ordering a copy of the reissue.

As someone who loves Gravity but hasn't checked out any of his other albums, is this something I'd probably be into?  And what kind of PPD damage were you looking at when it was all said and done?  On mobile at the moment and can't dial in a total for myself until later on.

This is excellent news – especially since I was never really a fan of the original album art.  (Petty complaint, but I stand by it.)  I'll gladly be ordering a copy of the reissue.

Probably about 40+....not gonna jump on it right now, I love Gravity and I'll just stick with that for the moment.

You can preview the album and other Hecq releases on bandcamp: http://hymen-records.bandcamp.com/album/night-falls . This is definitely one of his best albums.

My total for the pre-order was 46,90 EUR, to Canada, at the ant-zen shop (their shipping rate was 17 EUR).

My guess is that upon release, it will also pop up at the Ad Noiseam store which has much better shipping rates.

Other than that, I can't say. 

I just freaked out and bought it for fear of missing out; I wanted this album on vinyl for years.

I've been on a big modern classical kick recently. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Albums that I've been listening to a lot include: Sebastian Plano - Impetus, Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks, and A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atomos.

A friend of mine is planning to release a modern classical cello album in April - she live loops her playing to create compositions.

https://kristinrule.bandcamp.com/album/remember-i-am-pre-order

Can listen to preview here:

Aside from the obvious classics (A Rainbow in Curved Air, Music for 18 Musicians, etc.) can anyone recommend some 'minimalism' to me?

Try some of the earlier Philip Glass like Music In Twelve Parts, Einstein On The Beach, etc.

Arvo Part - Alina

Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music

Gavin Bryars, Harold Budd, Lubomyr Melnyk, etc.

This might be too off topic, but I'm curious what the people that post in this thread are listening to these records on...

Right now I've got a couple setups:

Main

Clear audio Concept w/ Nagaoka MP-500 > Rogue Sphinx > Wharfedale Denton 80th's

- this setup is pretty great, but sometimes a bit too revealing on bad/noisy pressings.

Second

Thorens TD 160 Super MKIV w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze > Marantz PM5004 > Cambridge Audio S30 and HSU STF-2

- much more forgiving on the the bad/noisy pressings.

Question for you folks in here. I love ambient music. The whole gamut. I own LPs of everything from Eno's Music for Airports to the latest 2 8 1 4. That said, I find there are many albums that I prefer to hear on hi-res audio or CD formats. Many times I have found LPs, particularly reissues, to be noisy and as we all know, this music can often contain long quiet passages. Another reason is that flipping or changing a record (sometimes two or three times) can break up the flow of a piece, even one that has been split into multiple "songs." Anyway, there are still several albums that I spin frequently, but for the above stated reasons, there are some that I own that get played less often on LP. How about all of you?

^ I don't mind flipping the records, BUT I've been starting to feel similarly about surface noise on these types of records. 

Word. I don't mind flipping records in principle. Heck, I own room full and am posting on a vinyl forum. It's this specific style of music, along with some classical, where some pieces lend themselves to deep relaxation and in that state, I sometimes resent breaking up the flow of the album. Basinski comes to mind.

Question for you folks in here. I love ambient music. The whole gamut. I own LPs of everything from Eno's Music for Airports to the latest 2 8 1 4. That said, I find there are many albums that I prefer to hear on hi-res audio or CD formats. Many times I have found LPs, particularly reissues, to be noisy and as we all know, this music can often contain long quiet passages. Another reason is that flipping or changing a record (sometimes two or three times) can break up the flow of a piece, even one that has been split into multiple "songs." Anyway, there are still several albums that I spin frequently, but for the above stated reasons, there are some that I own that get played less often on LP. How about all of you?

I know what you mean.  As much as it feels "right" to own certain albums on vinyl – and I do in fact believe in supporting the artist by paying for my preferred medium – some of my best listens to ambient records have required me to lose myself to the music, from start to finish.  The immersion in a really chilling, minimal track can get tossed out the window if the press is bad or noisy.  And regardless of how immaculate the pressing may be, that periodic flip or swap is necessary to keep the record going... which feels a bit like coming up for air.  It can be refreshing, but sometimes you just want to tackle the whole experience in the dark of the room, uninterrupted.  For that reason, I typically reserve any lengthy, minimal ambient to headphones and MP3.  Stars of the Lid, Kyle Bobby Dunn, etc.  If it leans towards contemporary classical (Max Richter) or noisy drone (Tim Hecker), vinyl suffices nicely.

I know what you mean.  As much as it feels "right" to own certain albums on vinyl – and I do in fact believe in supporting the artist by paying for my preferred medium – some of my best listens to ambient records have required me to lose myself to the music, from start to finish.  The immersion in a really chilling, minimal track can get tossed out the window if the press is bad or noisy.  And regardless of how immaculate the pressing may be, that periodic flip or swap is necessary to keep the record going... which feels a bit like coming up for air.  It can be refreshing, but sometimes you just want to tackle the whole experience in the dark of the room, uninterrupted.  For that reason, I typically reserve any lengthy, minimal ambient to headphones and MP3.  Stars of the Lid, Kyle Bobby Dunn, etc.  If it leans towards contemporary classical (Max Richter) or noisy drone (Tim Hecker), vinyl suffices nicely.

I am picking up what you're laying down.

And regardless of how immaculate the pressing may be, that periodic flip or swap is necessary to keep the record going... which feels a bit like coming up for air.  It can be refreshing, but sometimes you just want to tackle the whole experience in the dark of the room, uninterrupted. 

It's a problem I see myself encountering frequently, not only with ambient/drone releases (most notably, though), but also with various post-rock/metal et. al. releases that work best when unadulterated attention is given to them. I mean, it's not a total setback by any means, there are plenty releases that work significantly better on the vinyl format (see GYBE's Skinny Fists with each movement occupying one side), but flipping sides, putting of headphones, getting up from the most comfortable chair and changing your position you'd prefer to stay in for hours at least, is something that can have undesirable effects on your listening experience.

This weekend I acquired a copy of William Basinski's Disintegration Loops box set. I am stoked beyond words. This is a big one for me (it is for everyone who can find enjoyment in these recordings and got a hand on a copy, I guess) and it's supposed to reach my doorstep today. It will be interesting to see which effect the vinyl format will have on the songs. I've had multiple listening sessions where I just sat there for hours, staring holes into walls, working feverishly without actively noticing a single note, watching Youtube videos of trains with cameras put on front rolling through landscapes forever, or taking walks on seemingly endless beaches with the music and the setting blending so perfectly I was unsure whether the album was still going or the sound of waves was the only thing left to hear. I'm eager to find out what this box brings to the table.

This weekend I acquired a copy of William Basinski's Disintegration Loops box set. I am stoked beyond words. This is a big one for me (it is for everyone who can find enjoyment in these recordings and got a hand on a copy, I guess) and it's supposed to reach my doorstep today. It will be interesting to see which effect the vinyl format will have on the songs. I've had multiple listening sessions where I just sat there for hours, staring holes into walls, working feverishly without actively noticing a single note, watching Youtube videos of trains with cameras put on front rolling through landscapes forever, or taking walks on seemingly endless beaches with the music and the setting blending so perfectly I was unsure whether the album was still going or the sound of waves was the only thing left to hear. I'm eager to find out what this box brings to the table.

This is exactly the set I was thinking of. I was already mulling these issues over when news of Disintegration Loops LP box broke. I marinated for a spell and decided, no, I'm gong to pass. I din't want the pieces broken up mid "song." After the initial run sold out, a scratch and dent box turned up and the label sold those at a significant discount. I caved and bought one. I've listened to the whole thing once and the first and second twice. That was it for me. Many others have found it transcendent to own these on vinyl and I hope you do, too, but my experience was more distracting than enjoyable.

Couple pieces of news:

July Skies released their 2nd in the series of reissues, The Weather Clock, of putting their old albums on vinyl, following Dreaming of Spires, which they reissued last year. PO now here.

Also looks like Dustin O'halloran and Hauschka are doing a collab album/soundtrack for a new film. Love both those guys, excited to see what comes out of it. https://www.facebook.com/dustinohalloran/photos/a.278002736827.154976.193799986827/10153336923001828/?type=3

Really looking forward to this new one from Dalhous,The Composite Moods Collection Vol.1: House Number 44. You can hear a track off the record here: https://blackesteverblack.bandcamp.com/album/the-composite-moods-collection-vol-1-house-number-44

Sounds great.

Super interested. And really interesting description of what the record is going to be:

House Number 44 is the first volume of The Composite Moods Collection, a new cycle of Dalhous recordings that examines the relationship between two individuals co-habiting in the same confined space - their interactions, their sense of self and of each other, and the pregnant space between. One of these people, the protagonist (if you like) of House Number 44, is, or at least believes themselves to be, in fine mental health. The other appears distinctly unwell – detached, isolated, often feeling helpless and unable to influence the world around them; at other times prone to committing acts of extraordinary aggression and manipulation. 

The title of The Composite Moods Collection nods to the world of film and library cues, riffing on the utilitarian idea of music “to suit the mood” and the appealing if archaic notion that a “mood” can be a discrete or fixed thing, a unit of feeling. Dalhous’s Marc Dall takes this notion and runs with it: he attempts to convey a bipolarity of mood, each movement contradicting or erasing what came before, making progress impossible. An illness that underpins and sabotages every thought. And so, while a finely crafted and very deliberate narrative connects each cue to the next, it is not a smooth or a linear path. On the contrary it is jarring, complex, subject to severe and sudden modulations; one step forward, two steps back. 

House Number 44 is also about artistic license: about the liberties an artist takes when representing another person in any medium, and more fundamentally, the “artistic” liberties all of us take in the construction of our own self-image, and in our day-to-day perception of others. Though Dalhous's R.D. Laing trilogy – An Ambassador For Laing (2013), Visibility Is A Trap (2014) and Will To Be Well (2014) - is now complete, Laing remains a spectral presence in their work, and The Composite Moods Collection ultimately cleaves closely to recurring Dalhous themes of identity, behavioural modification, and self-help. 

Longtime followers of Dalhous will observe that House Number 44 contains some of their sparsest, most malevolent-sounding work to date (see especially the brooding synthesizer throb of ‘Response To Stimuli’ and ‘End Of Each Analysis’) but some of their most disarmingly beautiful too, with indelible melodies and atmospheres as deep as thought: ‘Methods of Élan’, ‘On A Level’, the elegiac ‘Lines To Border’. Dall’s enduring affection for neo-noir film scores of the ‘80s and early ‘90s, with their gleaming electronics and submerged existential torment, is more palpable here than ever, and you may hear echoes too of Klaus Schulze, Pete Namlook, or Eno’s The Shutov Assembly – but Dalhous continue to plot their own course, obsessively and meticulously, oblivious to contemporary trends and unconstrained by historical influence; driven, indeed, by their own demons. 

Really looking forward to this new one from Dalhous,The Composite Moods Collection Vol.1: House Number 44. You can hear a track off the record here: https://blackesteverblack.bandcamp.com/album/the-composite-moods-collection-vol-1-house-number-44

Sounds great.

Super interested. And really interesting description of what the record is going to be:

i like it. will need to remember to check back in march.

This may not be the right place to ask, but could anyone help steer me in the direction of bands/places to look for music similar to Dan Quayle's Mr. Robot score, which is a lot like the work of Reznor/Ross. Ambient electro industrial-ish? Not good with the genre pegging.

have you listened to loscil - sea island?

This may not be the right place to ask, but could anyone help steer me in the direction of bands/places to look for music similar to Dan Quayle's Mr. Robot score, which is a lot like the work of Reznor/Ross. Ambient electro industrial-ish? Not good with the genre pegging.

Are you familiar with Alessandro Cortini? If not, do a quick search and you will be. Give his album Sonno a listen.

Really looking forward to this new one from Dalhous

One of the more prominent BEB artists I can't get into as much... I've tried. I really liked the single though.

Roly Porter just released his new album and I bet some of you might find this intriguing. It's heavy on drones, bursts of feedback-induced noise and eerie, spacey synths. This albums soundscape just might be the sound of floating in deep space, being sucked into the endless nothing with your head about to implode from the pure pressure of time and matter. The album cover could not have been chosen more adequately. The sound of scowling into deep space, an endless, violative stare to where nothing's there to be seen at all.

roly-porter-third-law.jpg

Roly Porter. Third Law | Tri Angle | 2xLP

Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/5QOsiXbUEYJJlKxh0DRn32