Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

All the people saying that these reissues and overpriced records are still going to hold value or wont be seen in dollar bins in 15 years obviously werent around for the 90s and early 2000's when records were routinely found in dollar bins and worth shit, with even less being produced than now. You think because you paid 35 dollars for it now that in 15 years you wont let it go for less than that, but when your significant other is hounding you to sell them because it is taking up space in the basement and they want the room for their new exercise equipment and the box is too heavy to bring to the dumpster themselves, you will take whatever you can get for it from ebay/local record store.

All the people saying that these reissues and overpriced records are still going to hold value or wont be seen in dollar bins in 15 years obviously werent around for the 90s and early 2000's when records were routinely found in dollar bins and worth shit, with even less being produced than now. You think because you paid 35 dollars for it now that in 15 years you wont let it go for less than that, but when your significant other is hounding you to sell them because it is taking up space in the basement and they want the room for their new exercise equipment and the box is too heavy to bring to the dumpster themselves, you will take whatever you can get for it from ebay/local record store.

That's the problem with everybody now. No one wants to take a loss on anything. 99.9% of things you buy in life lose value over time. Most of your records will. I'm sick of people trying to sell everything for basically retail even though it's used.

If you're talking about records from the 60's, 70's and 80's well yeah, there were a bunch of CCR/Fleetwood Mac albums in dollar bins (and still are) because they are the equivalent of the CD's in the 90's. The records were mass produced because that was the only way to distribute music. There is a difference. I personally don't think current music(LP's) will go to a $1 but they will have a lower resale value.

the other aspect of that that people conveniently ignore is the fact that those dollar bin records have been played to death. sleeves are mangled, surfaces are scratched, scuffed, and covered in a pound of dust.

with a reissue of fleetwood mac, you're getting a pristine, first-hand copy. but still- there is no reason that those ever should have been priced in the astronomical range that they were.

with the resale market the way it is, i think it's safe to say that people take far better care of their records now, and are far less likely to let their albums get beat to shit.

can we all go back to blaming lazylabrador for the current vinyl market? that bitch single-handedly made the clueless frame collector believe that the only way to get your favorite album/weapon, was to spend out the ass for it. so when a $40 repress comes along, it's all sunshine lollipops & rainbows.

If you're talking about records from the 60's, 70's and 80's well yeah, there were a bunch of CCR/Fleetwood Mac albums in dollar bins (and still are) because they are the equivalent of the CD's in the 90's. The records were mass produced because that was the only way to distribute music. There is a difference. I personally don't think current music(LP's) will go to a $1 but they will have a lower resale value.

Nope, I meant the stuff that was produced in the 90s and early 2000's that came out in far less quantities than are coming out now that you could get dirt cheap. Like many have stated, they got into vinyl because you could get new records for well under 10 bucks. No one wanted Limp Bizkit on vinyl in 99, and no one will in '29, but for some reason, everyone wants them on vinyl now. ( If Limp Bizkit doesnt work for you, insert whatever generic nostalgia band that will fit).

Well, considering that even Goodwill around here sells records at $3 a pop any more, I don't think they'll go to $1.00...but they'll go to the inflated equivalent bin eventually, be it $3, or be it $5. I don't think he's necessarily saying that all these will only be worth $1.00 someday, but that they will lose significant value over time when the bubble finally bursts, whether that is next year or in 15 years.

And obviously, not all records will go down to that, some stuff even held value in the past, but all this next-level-shitty pop-punk that is getting released anymore and repressed over and over certainly will.

Another point that seems to be lost on Tate is that he is all for it because bands are getting paid more, but the extra money isnt going to bands, it is going to vanity labels, and those who bought the rights to put it out. It isnt like Omar and Cedric are getting any money from Mars Volta repressings, but some dude from Ohio is making some serious money on the backs of their work.

I think the real issue here, is that there is a generation of kids who just don't know the value of a dollar. They'll go out and buy $30-$40 double LPs on their credit card when they're on fucking food stamps to get by working their 3-4 day a week job, and never realize what the cost/profit ratio on an LP is. Because they don't care. Because they want it and they want it right fucking now.

I work my ass off to pay for my hobby, that's part of why I got into records 10 years ago, it wasn't super expensive and it was something I enjoyed. When it gets to the point where I can't afford to do it anymore, I'll stop. In all honesty, it's getting there.

The thing is, once people like me (and obviously a number of you) stop, and people like I mentioned above run out of money/mom and dad stop supporting them/the real world creeps in, the vinyl record bubble will collapse and I'll be able to get into it again. Except that a lot of stuff won't be getting put out on vinyl any more because it won't be as profitable.

It's what it is. The entitlement of a lot of record purchasers really gets on my nerves, but I don't think it's just rampant in this hobby, it's a generational thing.

/rant.

#suckadickmillenials.

I think the conversation has turned interesting in talking about the vinyl hype/bubble. I feel like unlike Pokemon/baseball cards and Beanie Babies I don't think the burst will be as dramatic(unless we are talking about the literal thousands of Blink 182 records) because with the music there is a use for it, where people simply outgrew Pokemon(and tons of cards were made flooding the market). I do hope though that prices can come down. The main problem is not people feeling they have to buy it (and be a punk about complaining over price later), it's that everyone HAS TO rush to buy the albums because if you don't flipperers buy them all and you are SOL.

I feel like unlike Pokemon/baseball cards and Beanie Babies I don't think the burst will be as dramatic(unless we are talking about the literal thousands of Blink 182 records) because with the music there is a use for it, where people simply outgrew Pokemon(and tons of cards were made flooding the market).

this was what i wanted to say but forgot to write. thanks for gettin my back, bro!

high-five-bro.gif?w=640

Do you mean if the price in general was better, or through Hot Topic? It's a fully embossed package pressed on the highest quality jackets with printed full color inner sleeves, and it costs $14. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

For the record, I completely forget to check your site sometimes.  I will literally go there right now and pick it up.  If the person that updates this account sees a purchase in Troy, MI from a guy named Kyle sometime in the next 10 minutes from the time this post is made, it is me!