Video game OSTs

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/04/21/journey-vinyl-and-limited-edition-art-print-revealed/?

Hello again, PlayStation fans! Here at iam8bit, we’re huge fans of Journey. It’s a masterpiece — and we can’t wait to relive its epicness when it arrives on PS4! Last week, I had the pleasure of sharing a behind-the-scenes look at theHotline Miami 2 Collector’s Edition vinyl, and I’m back today with some very special news about Journey.

The result of a superfun collaboration between PlayStation, Santa Monica Studio, and thatgamecompany, we’re proud to unveil that the Journey soundtrack is getting pressed on vinyl for the very first time! Speaking of firsts, Journey was the first game ever to be nominated for a Grammy Award. That puts the score by Austin Wintory in the same legendary company as composers like Gustavo Santaolalla, Howard Shore, and John Williams. Pretty cool!

17026765058_53d6dabdbe_z.jpg

We teamed up with acclaimed artist, Mark Englert to create an original album cover that honors the beauty and emotional voyage that players experience during Journey.

iam8bit began 10 years ago as an art show — so naturally, we view EVERYTHING as a canvas, including vinyl records. This set includes two picture discs, featuring unique art on each side (For math junkies, that’s FOUR different sides of visual goodness!). The scarf of the Traveler wraps around the album’s perimeter, creating an almost hypnotic effect as it spins. If you pay close attention to the Traveler’s robe, you’ll notice that the embroidery becomes more ornate as you progress from side A to side D — just like each time you beat the game.

17007090817_708ae094da_n.jpg17026765638_556eb80eda_n.jpg

The gatefold jacket opens up to reveal the soundtrack credits, as well as the beautiful ancestor painting seen in the game.

Pre-orders for the vinyl open at 10:00 AM on Thursday, 4/23.

But wait, there’s more!

16594322883_d65ba9d53c_z.jpg

We know that not everyone has a record player, so we’ve also had the gorgeous cover art EXPANDED into a gigantic 12 x 36-inch screen print that’s just dying to be framed and hung on your wall. (For printing nerds, it features nine colors individually layered atop one another, creating the illusion of a wide spectrum of both texture and tone). We’ve even applied some specialty inks, including pearlescent metallics, which give the sand a stunning, shimmery effect that catches the light in a pretty magical way.

These prints are available in a very limited edition of 350… and come signed and numbered by the artist.

It's a bummer that these are picture discs, but it's still great to see it get a release.

journey is a must buy. Picture discs have had excellent sound quality lately (breaking bad/ disney HT releases/ WTT). iam8bit's hotline miami 2 pressing was incredible, I don't think they'd put it out if the sound quality was suspect. About time too, Austin Wintory's score is one of my favorites.

HT Lion King sounded like shit

Picture discs are not universally bad, there are plenty of great ones out there. for music that is tied to such a visual medium it's kind of inevitable a lot of them will have a very prominent visual aspect of some sort... Picture disc makes sense for these releases.

They can be pressed excellently, or pressed poorly, just like any other record. If done with care and attention these should turn out just fine.