Video game OSTs

Is it true Nintendo can only distribute 'free' releases for their music, why is that?

That isn't their only option but 99% of the time it is the option that fits best within their business interests due to the legalities surrounding these recordings.

I'm really oversimplifying this a hell of a lot, but If nintendo were to grant the album rights to these songs to another label as they have done with commercially available soundtracks in the past (Mother as a prime example) they are no longer the entity which may exercise any control over if/how these songs are distributed for sale or licensed for commercial distribution. It's what makes this album even a possibility for licensing purposes. It's similar reasons why the artwork can't be changed, etc. this was an album which already exists and it's being treated as such by the company who owns it, regardless of the music's video game origins (even side D)

You'll notice that Nintendo hasn't produced a commercially available soundtrack in years. Often their CDs have been given away with games, nintendo power subscriptions, yogurt, whatever. The most obvious solution would be for them to form their own label - this would grant them the protection and control over their recordings they require, but that would make too much sense.

I'm sure there will be a large number of angry customers that thought they were buying the score.

I dunno, they've been making it pretty clear what exactly they're releasing.

Sony released the Mother 2 OST (like, the actual music from the game) on CD back in the 90s so I'm curious if that's something a label might be able to license and release as well.

It's cool supporting members here who are creative too, but seriously. I can't believe people were actually excited for that.

1. $20 LP of Casio keyboard xylophones

2. does your kid really need to hear Brand New songs? Doesn't that strike anyone else as a little weird to lull your child to sleep with soothing renditions of songs about death and despair? There's not a single positive song in their catalog, let kids be kids before they have to turn into cynical, miserable man-children. Listen to the itsy bitsy spider for 20 minutes or some shit, or any of the Rockabye Baby sets, which are well produced and feature equally enjoyable melodies derived from songs which may be a bit more suitable for the task.

Neat idea. Poor execution. Didn't get funded. I can't believe anyone would hold that concept in a higher regard than this project.

People want to show their kids the music they love.

That's why I got forced to listen to 70's and 80's metal with a hint of grunge.

That's why my friend's who just had a kid are probably playing Fall Out Boy with her right now.

Yeah I feel you. One of the aspects of parenthood I'm looking forward to (not anytime soon, knock on wood) is getting to watch my kids discover their musical tastes, enjoying music and creating music. They're gonna inherit one hell of a record collection. Don't get me wrong, I love the lord savior and patron saint of VC, Jesse Lacey, just as much as the rest of us, I just don't personally think I would choose to lull my kid to sleep with Limousine or Noro. The Rockabye Baby series, for the most part, tends to lean towards artists and songs which overall exude a bit less negativity and darkness.

I can see how many people might not care granted the lyrics aren't present, they're just harmless melodies, and would love to share those favorites with their kid, or keep themselves entertained during the stresses of parenting. If it were perhaps half the price, or featured recordings of actual instruments, I could have seen that going well over it's target. And I'd have backed it a little harder than I did, just to be supportive even if I personally would never use it as intended. it just eluded the interest of a lot of people for the reasons I stated above. Too much going against it rather than for it.

I'm glad you were able to offer a response a bit more thoughtful and conducive to discussion than "shut up."

Yeah I feel you. One of the aspects of parenthood I'm looking forward to (not anytime soon, knock on wood) is getting to watch my kids discover their musical tastes, enjoying music and creating music. They're gonna inherit one hell of a record collection. Don't get me wrong, I love the lord savior and patron saint of VC, Jesse Lacey, just as much as the rest of us, I just don't personally think I would choose to lull my kid to sleep with Limousine or Noro. The Rockabye Baby series, for the most part, tends to lean towards artists and songs which overall exude a bit less negativity and darkness.

I can see how many people might not care granted the lyrics aren't present, they're just harmless melodies, and would love to share those favorites with their kid, or keep themselves entertained during the stresses of parenting. If it were perhaps half the price, or featured recordings of actual instruments, I could have seen that going well over it's target. And I'd have backed it a little harder than I did, just to be supportive even if I personally would never use it as intended. it just eluded the interest of a lot of people for the reasons I stated above. Too much going against it rather than for it.

I'm glad you were able to offer a response a bit more thoughtful and conducive to discussion than "shut up."

shut up