PO: Foo Fighters - Sonic Highway

I feel like this album isn't going to get the rating and recognition is deserves, solely on the fact that a lot of people aren't going to watching the corresponding docuseries to truly understand the album before they review it.

I've been a huge Foo Fighters fan since 1995, since day fucking 1. But I can honestly say that I like Side A more than Side B because of the SH episodes giving me all the back story behind it all. And I bet once all the episodes have aired SH will be album of the year contender for me.

I can't get over how fucking good the opening and closing tracks are though. Whoa.

I guess my question would be that if the show is so integral to enjoying the album, shouldn't I get a DVD with the record. It's not a bad album, it's just that after one listen nothing is popping out that much. I will be listening many more times, so this could change. I don't have cable and won't be able to augment with the series.

I guess my question would be that if the show is so integral to enjoying the album, shouldn't I get a DVD with the record. It's not a bad album, it's just that after one listen nothing is popping out that much. I will be listening many more times, so this could change. I don't have cable and won't be able to augment with the series.

Well seeing that the series is still airing....

Look, not everyone is going to watch the series, whether they want to, can, or care. The series is still airing and you can stream is on iTunes or their facebook. I don't have cable either, but I still watch them. Not because it is necessary, but because it enhances EVERYTHING. Fuck, we all know what piratebay is. I torrent that shit and will be it in a heartbeat once it is available for purchase on bluray. It is an absolutely fantastic series, and it in conjunction with the album will make it AOTY for me. Yeah, I do wish all the episodes aired before the album came out, but like a lot of people I wouldn't have been able to wait that long. If I had to wait another month I would go insane, as this is my favorite band.

It was a technique of building it all up. I like that they did 4 and then the album. Now I'm going to watch over the next month and it's just going to make the album even better. It's kind of brilliant really, having an album broken down for you and growing on you like that.

Shit, my Dad doesn't have HBO so I sent him a thumbdrive with the first 4 episodes on it so he can watch them. I'll do the same for you if really want.

Anyway, this album will probably sound a little mundane or even odd if you haven't watched the series. I don't really care what order or timeline they did with releasing the songs and corresponding episodes and full album, cause I fucking love every note so far. The episodes and backs story make it all even better, Just find a way to watch it, then listen to the album. It changes COMPLETELY.

Grohl didn't write this to be another rock album. He wrote this to change the way an album is written, and he did just that; and succeeded brilliantly in my opinion. You can't really just listen to this like any other album. I think you're missing the point of it...

Relax, kid. Your favorite band, got it. I just wish I knew that I'd have to watch a TV show to get the "point" of a rock album before I bought it. It wasn't an expensive album, so I will be okay. And like I said, I may even end up liking it someday(apparently after I watch the show). Not trying to take way from your enjoyment of the record. Enjoy. That's all.

Relax, kid. Your favorite band, got it. I just wish I knew that I'd have to watch a TV show to get the "point" of a rock album before I bought it. It wasn't an expensive album, so I will be okay. And like I said, I may even end up liking it someday(apparently after I watch the show). Not trying to take way from your enjoyment of the record. Enjoy. That's all.

Haha. I'm not over here yelling at you to like it or feel insulted or anything, if that's how you're taking it. I'm simply just saying this album is different than your everyday album, therefore you might want to listen to it differently. If you don't like, you don't like it. No skin off my nose, dude.

Condescending much?

How was that being condescending? All it was was my take on it.

If you took it as patronizing, you read it incorrectly. Sorry if anyone took it that way.

I'm excited for anyone that hasn't seen the series to watch it and get all they can out of the album, that's all.

Haha. I'm not over here yelling at you to like it or feel insulted or anything, if that's how you're taking it. I'm simply just saying this album is different than your everyday album, therefore you might want to listen to it differently. If you don't like, you don't like it. No skin off my nose, dude.

someone needs to teach me how to listen to things differently, i guess.  

Yeah lol, if anything, watching the series has made me like the album less. The Pitchfork review pretty much hit the nail on the head:

In some of the episodes that have aired so far, we see a shot of Grohl sitting down after completing his interviews to write a song based on all the local lore he’s absorbed; the episodes then conclude with the Foos performing the resultant track, as the lyrics—loaded with knowing references to “muddy water,” “the 13th floor,” and “bluebirds”—are splashed across the screen practically begging for I-see-what-you-did-there acknowledgement. 

So so lame.

I don't see how anything mattphotographs had said can be taken as insulting in anyway. Sometimes people are passionate about stuff, and he's passionate on this album.

In fact, feel free to send me those episodes if you want! I've really been wanting to watch this, but don't have cable and am too lazy to go other routes.

I don't see how anything mattphotographs had said can be taken as insulting in anyway. Sometimes people are passionate about stuff, and he's passionate on this album.

In fact, feel free to send me those episodes if you want! I've really been wanting to watch this, but don't have cable and am too lazy to go other routes.

I'd be more than happy to, man!

I received my DC cover today with the flexi which was a super cool surprise. Was the flexi just included with orders from the Foo's site? Really digging the record currently being played extremely loud. I'll have to apologize to my neighbors later.

Anyone who preordered direct from the band got the flexi.

I liked the scene in one of the recent episodes (*spoilers*) when Dave and Co. were struggling with the arrangement of the song.  A glorious light poured through the window and an almost spiritual "ah-ha" moment hit Dave... he thought to himself, "I know how I"ll arrange this song... I'll arrange it like I do ALL my other Foo Fighter songs." .. and he did.

Oh my God, I'm fucking dead.

And the flexi is pretty cool. Starts off super crackly since it's literally just grooves on a piece of cardstock, but once the song kicks in it actually sounds shockingly good. It's flimsy as shit though, I stuck it in an old 7" sleeve I had lying around though and put it with the 12".