Ferguson, and other issues

The thing is, even the "good" cops are part of a broken racist/classist system.

My brother is a cop and all cops are still bastards.

We had a busted fire hydrant I'd say 15 yards away from my apartment complex. This ass hole cop wouldn't let me pass through, and I'm like 30 yards away from my apartment complex. So I decide to park on the curb next to the "situation" this a-hole cop starts screaming at me to move my car, I shout back, "is this not public parking?" (It in fact public parking) and he proceeds to shout, "Move your car or I'm going to tow it away." Here's why he's a douche. 1. He's taking the whole ordeal way too personal. Now he's the one that's going to tow my car away. He acts like he's at a legitimate crime scene and they're cleaning up blood and the FBI is on the scene. 2. It's a goddamn busted fire hydrant! The water was already shut off, he could have made the exception for me to pass through into my apartment complex, instead he feels he's the right of way, he's shouting and being stern without assessing the situation. He's talking to me like I'm a fucking 16 year old, I'm actually 27. He's probably talking to me this way because I'm half Asian and don't look white at all. I'm paying for his goddamn living, I pay my taxes, we all do. Why can't these douche cops at least talk with a little courtesy since they're dealing with the public. Goddamn. I swear these white cops when they're in a minority town/neighborhood they always go ape shit and start shouting with the situation at large is hardly anything to stress about. 

A couple bad apples does not mean you should burn down the orchard.

I think it does. I think of police culture as a locker room. All it takes is 1-2 cancerous officers to mold the room into something bad. 

Just look at the differences between firefighters and policemen. The way they deal with the public is night and day! Police like to pretend they're some magnificent force while firefighters actually communicate clearly with citizens. That's been my experience here in San Diego.

One situation with this dickwad off the top of my head- according to the police report posted in the paper, he once pulled someone over for "an exaggerated waive and smile". He then went on to search this person's car and arrest them for possession of weed.

One situation with this dickwad off the top of my head- according to the police report posted in the paper, he once pulled someone over for "an exaggerated waive and smile". He then went on to search this person's car and arrest them for possession of weed.

First of all, whoever that was that got arrested should have had his badge for illegal search and seizure unless they had paraphernalia/weed out in the open. Who let's a cop search their car when they have weed in it?

First of all, whoever that was that got arrested should have had his badge for illegal search and seizure unless they had paraphernalia/weed out in the open. Who let's a cop search their car when they have weed in it?

You'd be surprised how hard it is to prove a cop searched you illegally.

When I got arrested for possession the cop screamed at my friend's girlfriend "GIVE ME YOUR PURSE" and she said "I don't think you have the right to do that" and he screamed back "I WILL PIN YOU TO GROUND AND STRIP SEARCH YOU RIGHT ON THE ROAD"

But who was going to believe a couple kids with weed in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night against the word of a cop?

You'd be surprised how hard it is to prove a cop searched you illegally.

When I got arrested for possession the cop screamed at my friend's girlfriend "GIVE ME YOUR PURSE" and she said "I don't think you have the right to do that" and he screamed back "I WILL PIN YOU TO GROUND AND STRIP SEARCH YOU RIGHT ON THE ROAD"

But who was going to believe a couple kids with weed in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night against the word of a cop?

laaaaaame.

I've had cops pull that shit on me and I was just very firm but polite with them and they let me go. Granted, he did make me get out of my car and put my hands on my hood at one point. He even had a good reason to stop me as I had just run a red light. They can yell and scream and intimidate all they want, the second they lay hands on you roughly without reason, you've got them though. Especially with a witness. You'd be surprised how many juries will side with you just because they "hate asshole cops" as has been pointed out by some in this thread.

And that one situation just goes to show that not only does the entire town have a problem with him, but that he's aware of it to the point that he knows if a random person is waiving to him, it MUST be sarcastically.

Now he is doing illegal search and seizures? So you know for a fact that there wasnt anything in view? You know the person said no to the search and he did it anyway? The dude may very well be a douchebag, but you have shown nothing that he is a bad cop who abuses people.

Ry, you just keep coming off as a surburban priveledged white kid complaining about cops who bust up their fun compared to actual cops who kill innocent people.

Now he is doing illegal search and seizures? So you know for a fact that there wasnt anything in view? You know the person said no to the search and he did it anyway? The dude may very well be a douchebag, but you have shown nothing that he is a bad cop who abuses people.

Ry, you just keep coming off as a surburban priveledged white kid complaining about cops who bust up their fun compared to actual cops who kill innocent people.

There may be some confusion here. I was the one that brought up illegal searches, and specifically said "if they had nothing in plain view," and then went on to clarify with "who let's a cop search their car if they have weed in it."

Granted, it's what was implied by Ry, but he never specifically said it.

Just trying to advocate basic human civility. But keep it up, big guy. You're surely helping the cause by being a complete prick.

You have three sentences. The first one is you saying that you believe in human civility and being a nice person, the next two are you insulting someone because they dont agree with you...hypocrtite much?

Okay. Let's go.

I'm white. And unfortunately, that's an enormous privilege that I'm ashamed to carry. I despise the fact that by being born a straight white male that I'm essentially considered superior in some fucked up way by some fucked up people. It's why I completely sympathize and agree with Raven Simone when she says that she does not care to identify as a "gay African-American". Sure, there is far more weight held by distinguishing herself as black vs African-American. But I digress. The point is that she just wants to identify as an American. As a person.

I believe in human civility. I believe that by simply being better people that the world won't be so constantly fucked up. And the biggest hurdle in which we need to clear as society, nation, world, etc. is to stop getting hung up on such unbelievably worthless nonsense such as orientation of any kind.

A police officer's job is to protect the peace and the public for which it serves. The moment that his job begins to lean towards harassment, he is a bad cop. And it doesn't matter what charges that harrassment, whether it be racism, boredom, or just pettiness. No, the guy Ive been referring to hasn't killed any innocent civilians.. Because I'm lucky enough to live in a place where that simply is not a thing. But why does EVERYTHING have to be in the extremes here? Whatever the case, cops have a long history of fucking up people's days when they were simply going about their business and doing harm to literally no one. Sometimes that involves a fine, sometimes it's a seizure of one's property, and sometimes it's their life. And it's all over the power trip that comes with wearing a silly little badge.

I'm white. And unfortunately, that's an enormous privilege that I'm ashamed to carry.

Craziness. No one should be ashamed of things that they have no control over.

You weren't born the King of England. There's black people who have had it easier than you and black people that have had it harder. Everyone only gets one life, though. Should look on the bright side. Volunteer at a predominantly black school if you have some kind of white guilt and feel like you have to do something to even the social scales (or any one of 1000 other good deeds you could do).

My issue with what happened in Ferguson is that violent protesting is never the answer. All it succeeds in is pushing good families out of the area, pushing those who are left further into poverty.

Detroit would have been FAR better off over the last 50 years if the race riots of the 1960s hadn't happened.