Let's Discuss & Recommend Music

dapeebs

Also, I haven't listened to the bands you listed, peebs.

I've KINDA listened to Closure in Moscow, but not enough.

Oh you sooooo need to. They're all amazing. Listen to the Dear Hunter's Act I, I the Mighty's Satori, and Closure in Moscow's First Temple. But all of there material is great.

dapeebs, please tell me you've listened to the new Hail the Sun album. One of the records of the year imo. It's like a frenetic I the Mighty mixed with Stolas.

I haven't actually! I listened to the two singles they put out. They were pretty good, but didn't give me that strong of an impression. But I have to give the album a chance.

Love Alexi Murdoch, it's on my list of next record to buy after payday.

Never heard of the James guy though, will add him to the driving home playlist too.

Thank you muchly!

Love James Vincent mcmorrow! Coincidentally listening to if I had a boat on repeat

If I had to plug only one band it would be The Felice Brothers. Love them. Their a mix of Americana and rock. Often are compared to Dylan and waits. Try River Jordan if you're interested.

If I had to plug only one band it would be The Felice Brothers. Love them. Their a mix of Americana and rock. Often are compared to Dylan and waits. Try River Jordan if you're interested.

I don't get the Dylan or Waits similarity. I worked the door last time they played the venue I work at and it was my first time hearing/seeing them. Great live show, super nice guys, but didn't strike me as anything too terribly great or dissimilar to anything I've heard in that genre before (despite the show selling out).

On that note, if you're into this, I STRONGLY recommend you checking into Cory Branan

HELP NEEDED.

Looking for music similar to the God Help The Girl project. Especially the songs Musician Please Take Heed, Come Monday Night, God Help The Girl, I'll Have to Dance with Cassie. So basically insanely catchy modern indie pop with strong '60s/early '70s influences. Preferably female-led. I know Stuart Murdoch's other stuff is supposed to be kind of the same, but to me it really isn't. I have a few other artists that are relatively close (The Postmarks, Lucky Soul), but it's far from the amazingness of the God Help The Girl stuff. 

HELP NEEDED.

Looking for music similar to the God Help The Girl project. Especially the songs Musician Please Take Heed, Come Monday Night, God Help The Girl, I'll Have to Dance with Cassie. So basically insanely catchy modern indie pop with strong '60s/early '70s influences. Preferably female-led. I know Stuart Murdoch's other stuff is supposed to be kind of the same, but to me it really isn't. I have a few other artists that are relatively close (The Postmarks, Lucky Soul), but it's far from the amazingness of the God Help The Girl stuff. 

Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, and some of her work with Metric like Fantasies -very catchy (no strings, what I would consider indie pop, and she definitely is a 60's girl born 20 years late)

Alexandra Morte: her Soundcloud should have 10,000 followers but she's posted under a pseudonym:  https://soundcloud.com/alexandrajuly  Her cover of the Beatles' "She Said" is addictive.

,Put a 10" out under the Camera Shy monicker (with Nick Bassett of Whirr), and also has a 3 femme Night School project soon to release via Graveface. Camera Shy's release Jack O'Lantern came out this summer (Run For Cover).

I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. Instead of having to start different discussions for music recommendations, we could just have a quick, centralized place to help each other out with some new tunes. Because new music is the best. So instead of having to search the web for hours to hopefully find something good, let's help each other out! 

So to start off, I have really been digging post hardcore/indie bands that have a tinge of progressiveness to them. Bands like Closure in Moscow, I the Mighty, The Dear Hunter... Any suggestions?

Signal Hill

GFE/Caravels Split

toe 

Highly recommended! ;)

• 1 month later...

Listen to King Missile, Starving Daughters, Bad Uncle, Uncle Acid & the deadbeats, 0011011001111000, Johnny Hobo & The Freighttrains/Wingnut Dishwashers Union/Ramshackle Glory, Days 'N Daze, NSF Hiphop, Wasabi Dream, Nero's Day at Disneyland, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Oliver Hart, Satan's Satyrs, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Child Bite, FIDLAR, Gogol Bordello, Cocorosie, Igorrr, ミドリ, Naked City/John Zorn, P, Coconuts, Ultra Zook, Hail Mary Mallon, Kaizers Orchestra, Charles Manson, Melody's Echo Chamber, King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, and Moistboyz.

Jeez, I have never heard of the majority of bands in this thread. Can we get recommendations with a super brief description of their sound as well?

I agree! Or a RIYL a a couple of bands. I'd love to check out some of these in the list but everyone on here has such different music tastes!

• 4 weeks later...

Listen to King Missile, Starving Daughters, Bad Uncle, Uncle Acid & the deadbeats, 0011011001111000, Johnny Hobo & The Freighttrains/Wingnut Dishwashers Union/Ramshackle Glory, Days 'N Daze, NSF Hiphop, Wasabi Dream, Nero's Day at Disneyland, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Oliver Hart, Satan's Satyrs, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Child Bite, FIDLAR, Gogol Bordello, Cocorosie, Igorrr, ミドリ, Naked City/John Zorn, P, Coconuts, Ultra Zook, Hail Mary Mallon, Kaizers Orchestra, Charles Manson, Melody's Echo Chamber, King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, and Moistboyz.

King Missile - 90s nihilist coffee house beat poetry to guitars, produced by Kramer

Starving Daughters - cinematic psychedelic

Bad Uncle - Tom Waits and Gogol Bordello had a baby in a Portland backalley

Uncle Acid & the deadbeats - stoner doom (Sabbath meets the Beatles)

0011011001111000 - experimental harsh noise/narrative ambient/glitch/sound collage

Johnny Hobo & The Freighttrains/Wingnut Dishwashers Union/Ramshackle Glory - probably the best folk punk out there

Days 'N Daze - crustfolk

NSF HipHop - chill stoner hiphop instrumentals, some experimental tracks

Wasabi Dream - progressive psychedelic

Nero's Day At Disneyland - glitchy breakcore

World/Inferno Friendship Society - anarcho-circus/cabaret punk 

Oliver Hart - intellectual hiphop, Eyedea's alter-ego

Satan's Satyrs - garage doom punk

Andrew Jackson Jihad - tongue in cheek white-boy folk punk

Child Bite - violent noise rock

FIDLAR - garage surf punk

Gogol Bordello - gypsy folk punk

Cocorosie - freak folk

Igorrr - baroque-core

ミドリ - Japanese female-fronted jazz-punk

Naked City/John Zorn - experimental avant garde multigenre

P - side project of Gibby Haynes with a bunch of actors (including Johnny Depp) covering Daniel Johnston and Abba

Coconuts - noise rock from Hotline Miami

Ultra Zook - psychedelic spazz rock

Hail Mary Mallon - side project of Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic with DJ Big Wiz

Kaizers Orchestra - Norwegian alternative with unconventional instrumentation

Charles Manson - hippie folk (disregard the murder)

Melody's Echo Chamber - psychedelic dream pop

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - psychedelic from the Land Of Oz

Moistboyz - Dean Ween's hardcore band

And now, for something completely different.

Lone - I can't get enough of this guy's music. Good ol' fashioned house/rave throwback, with some classic hip-hop thrown into the mix, and it's so much fun to listen to. Reality Testing is probably gonna be in my Top Ten of 2014.

The Weather Station - Acoustic folk from Ontario, headed by Canadian actress Tamara Hope. The kind of stuff that would play during the evening hours in your favorite local coffee shop, while you watch the snow falling.

Sybille Baier - More acoustic folk, dating back to 1970's Germany. I actually found out about Ms. Baier through my internship at Orange Twin last year (they re-released the album a few years ago); she only recorded one album, but it's absolutely wonderful.

Aden - Amazing tech house project, and also supposedly another side project of Travis Stewart, better known as Machinedrum.

High Klassified - Instrumental trap music producer from Montreal. He uses crazy amounts of sub bass and really unique sounds and samples, especially for trap, which gets really boring after a while.

The Weather Station - Acoustic folk from Ontario, headed by Canadian actress Tamara Hope. The kind of stuff that would play during the evening hours in your favorite local coffee shop, while you watch the snow falling.

Sybille Baier - More acoustic folk, dating back to 1970's Germany. I actually found out about Ms. Baier through my internship at Orange Twin last year (they re-released the album a few years ago); she only recorded one album, but it's absolutely wonderful.

Added to my playlist for the drive home!

• 4 weeks later...

May I recommend a bunch of awesome bands/albums I put out this year on my label - no download codes necessary - Merry Christmas present from Flesh and Bone Records.  From now until the end of tomorrow, you can download all the Flesh and Bone albums for free.  Only 200 total downloads available, and the only other time I did these, they were gone super fast.  Hope you all enjoy, and thanks to anyone that has supported the label in its first year - already looking forward to 2015!

10841894_1538315693090767_34813905709279

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone listen to Self Defense Family.

There is no easy way to describe this band. One release may hook you in from the start and another may completely alienate you. They also release material often enough to keep them on your radar forever. They've become one of my favorite bands over the last year. 

If you're looking for a starting point, go for their Island 7"s or their latest LP, Try Me. 

I've been listening to Grinderman. Blues rock with fucking bite. I've been curious about Nick Cave for a while and found this little gem that he put out apart from his work with the Bad Seeds. "No Pussy Blues" is a bitchin track.

Blacklisted too. They just had their second LP, Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God, go through a deluxe treatment and has also gone into another regular pressing. I think it's their best work. Extremely personal. Heavy, but catchy.