PO: The Offspring "Americana"

• 1 month later...

Don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad the red is still available.  Ordered.

Not as good as in the 90's?  Come on.  Just kidding, I wasn't cool enough to see them in the 90's, but they're one of my favorite live acts.  Seen them a big handful of times in the last 5-10 years, & they always kick ass, and are really fun.  

Anybody else wish they'd press Days Go By?  

most recent ebay listing for an older press went for $51, sooooooooo

That doesn't mean they should be charging 26 dollars for a single LP (that isn't even a gatefold). And yes, you could maybe argue that it's for a colored variant, but that's negated by the fact that they are charging the same price for the black.

By purchasing it (and more so condoning it), you are encouraging the continued inflation of vinyl prices... and if it gets much worse, it's gonna push lower middle class pepole like myself away from "the hobby" for sheer lack of affordability.

That doesn't mean they should be charging 26 dollars for a single LP (that isn't even a gatefold). And yes, you could maybe argue that it's for a colored variant, but that's negated by the fact that they are charging the same price for the black.

By purchasing it (and more so condoning it), you are encouraging the continued inflation of vinyl prices... and if it gets much worse, it's gonna push lower middle class pepole like myself away from "the hobby" for sheer lack of affordability.

While i totally understand what you are saying, are we all supposed to stop our hobby because you may not be able to afford it?

I cant afford a Ferrari, but im not whining to those who CAN afford inflated supercar prices.

Haven't we hashed this out a million times?

A. Just because people are overpaying on ebay, doesn't mean that records will be any cheaper elsewhere.

2. Vinyl is the current flavor of music, since the music industry is in an unsteady state they're going to make their money where and when they can i.e inflated vinyl prices. This won't last forever and those of you/us that choose to continue collecting will find something new to complain about, vinyl will eventually drop out again prices will go down, these huge represses will be found in dollar bins at mom and pop stores. No idea when this will happen but it will. 

C. Paying for og presses at this point is dumb unless you have to have it, everything will eventually be repressed, if Deja got repressed anything can happen. 

i don't disagree with you, but if the secondhand price is $50, and the firsthand price is $26, and you refuse to pay $26, then you're simply not going to own the record on vinyl. i figure you're participating in the thread because you're interested in owning it on vinyl.

the label or distributor is in an especially favorable position when a record is out of press and selling for three times retail value on the secondhand market. it's like a sponge, saturating all the excess demand, and it can pretty much do it at any price point. it's all contextual.

edit: not that you aren't aware of this already, probably. just talking to whoever's listening.

BullMoose has free shipping on orders over $25, so just think of it as $22 +$4 shipping. Or $21 +$5 shipping.

Who cares? People pay hundreds for Minor Threat first presses, yet they sell their represses dirt cheap.

you completely missed the point. i'll respond to this with something i said literally two posts before yours:

if the secondhand price is $50, and the firsthand price is $26, and you refuse to pay $26, then you're simply not going to own the record on vinyl.

Look.  I don't really take issue with people who are paying the $26 (even if I wish an albums like this would undersell out of principle) .  

What I do take issue with, is the initial snarky comment of "original pressings are going for ___, so you should be happy with a $26 price tag" and/or posters calling my response to this whiny.    The dude with the Minor Threat comment hit the nail on the head... just because an album is OOP and highly sought after doesn't mean a label has to gauge its customers.   More importantly, just as you all have the right to decide that $26 is an okay amount to spend on a single LP, I have the right to decide that, as much as I'd like to own Americana on vinyl (an album that holds sentimental value in my heart for being one of the first CD's I can remember owning and/or being obsessed with as a 6th grader)... $26 is more than I'd like to spend.     

I've dropped $25+ on an album before and I'll almost certainly do it again.   But I try to selective in that process... the album better not only be one of my all-time favorites, but also be a double LP with top notch packaging [and sound quality].    The represses of The Downward Spiral, Sublime, Lonesome Crowded West, Think Tank, ext, ext fit that description, and I couldn't be happier with my purchases.   My issue with Americana (as stated) is that it a non-gatefold, non-Mofi, SINGLE LP and they are still charging $26 fucking dollars for it.   

Since there are hundreds of albums I would like to someday own, many of which can be mine for roughly $20, (not to mention many, many independent artists who could use my $$$ more than a band like The Offspring) I'll choose to put that cash elsewhere.    And that doesn't mean I don't want this record.  If the price point had been $20, this album would have been an instant purchase.... That $6 might now seem like much,  but that $6 four times = one less record I can own

Look.  I don't really take issue with people who are paying the $26 (even if I wish an albums like this would undersell out of principle) .  

What I do take issue with, is the initial snarky comment of "original pressings are going for ___, so you should be happy with a $26 price tag" and/or posters calling my response to this whiny.    The dude with the Minor Threat comment hit the nail on the head... just because an album is OOP and highly sought after doesn't mean a label has to gauge its customers.   More importantly, just as you all have the right to decide that $26 is an okay amount to spend on a single LP, I have the right to decide that, as much as I'd like to own Americana on vinyl (an album that holds sentimental value in my heart for being one of the first CD's I can remember owning and/or being obsessed with as a 6th grader)... $26 is more than I'd like to spend.     

I've dropped $25+ on an album before and I'll almost certainly do it again.   But I try to selective in that process... the album better not only be one of my all-time favorites, but also be a double LP with top notch packaging [and sound quality].    The represses of The Downward Spiral, Sublime, Lonesome Crowded West, Think Tank, ext, ext fit that description, and I couldn't be happier with my purchases.   My issue with Americana (as stated) is that it a non-gatefold, non-Mofi, SINGLE LP and they are still charging $26 fucking dollars for it.   

Since there are hundreds of albums I would like to someday own, many of which can be mine for roughly $20, (not to mention many, many independent artists who could use my $$$ more than a band like The Offspring) I'll choose to put that cash elsewhere.    And that doesn't mean I don't want this record.  If the price point had been $20, this album would have been an instant purchase.... That $6 might now seem like much,  but that $6 four times = one less record I can own

Sounds like you dont really WANT to buy the LP.

Sounds more like you just want to complain about it.

Sounds like you dont really WANT to buy the LP.

Sounds more like you just want to complain about it.

also -- i'm, by no means, endorsing the label's gouging of its customers. but as a customer, what can i do? i can bitch about it, but the label isn't going to cave. the people who bitch about records being too expensive (me included) are in the minority; if we weren't, records would be cheaper by now, as people would refuse to purchase expensive-as-shit records. yet $30 LPs manage to sell out. maybe the bubble will pop one day, but it doesn't look like it'll be any time soon.

so, again, not saying $26 is OK. but as an individual i have little to no leverage in this situation.

• 1 month later...

Did this get pushed back again? The Bullmoose page still says 5/26 but when I log in to my account and check the special orders tab it says it will be available 6/23

My local store always had a June date on the red variant, which is why I didn't preorder (shipping records to Phoenix in June is...scary...) and was waiting to just pick up in store.