The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

They could do something cool and say she was a Jedi kid that survived Order 66 and was frozen for years for protection and forgot her past, or do something with time relativity on Jaku

this sounds interesting, I kind of hope they do something out of nowhere instead of playing it safe by saying she's Luke's kid

this sounds interesting, I kind of hope they do something out of nowhere instead of playing it safe by saying she's Luke's kid

So I'm giving this idea more thought.

Obi Wan was surprised to find her, makes sure she's frozen for protection, something happens where she's released and dropped off on Jaku. This is why she hears Bens voice guiding her because he was a trainer at the Jedi academy when she was a kid. Luke is shocked to see her because he knows who she is. Ben told him about her and she comes from a time when the Jedi were stronger, so he knows she's the real deal. I mean Han was frozen in carbonate. So I don't think it's too far fetched. However, Atticus has a point that Disney is playing it safe.

So I'm giving this idea more thought.

Obi Wan was surprised to find her, makes sure she's frozen for protection, something happens where she's released and dropped off on Jaku. This is why she hears Bens voice guiding her because he was a trainer at the Jedi academy when she was a kid. Luke is shocked to see her because he knows who she is. Ben told him about her and she comes from a time when the Jedi were stronger, so he knows she's the real deal. I mean Han was frozen in carbonate. So I don't think it's too far fetched. However, Atticus has a point that Disney is playing it safe.

Yea.. To expound upon my previous reply, Disney is treading a thin line with these reboots. They want to cater to fans and produce quality movies, however they aren't going to sacrifice mainstream appeal for fanboy fantasy. Most of these crazy plot lines the diehards are proposing or speculating are just simply not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, an intricately woven, backstory-dependent plot twist would be amazing, but would leave a general mainstream audience, without much real knowledge of the backstory (aka, the majority of movie goers) scratching their collective heads. There will be at least one big "reveal" in VIII for sure, but it's definitely going to be one where the casual Star Wars viewer can (without referencing the internet) say, "ok, I get that."

The trouble with all of these crazy theories is that they are essentially fan fiction, and there have been some really good ones, some that I would love to see played out on the big screen. But then, when any or all of these meticulously detailed fan theories aren't the actual twist and, for example, Rey really is just Luke's daughter after all, people will get all pissy and say that the movie is crap, Disney is ruining Star Wars, blah blah blah.

I don't necessarily want to defend "easy" or "lazy" filmmaking, just hoping that at the end of the day we can get past the fact that they aren't making Star Wars movies for the people who have clung to 30 years worth of possible canonical material and just enjoy the fact that they are making decent, entertaining, enjoyable Star Wars movies again.

Yea.. To expound upon my previous reply, Disney is treading a thin line with these reboots. They want to cater to fans and produce quality movies, however they aren't going to sacrifice mainstream appeal for fanboy fantasy. Most of these crazy plot lines the diehards are proposing or speculating are just simply not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, an intricately woven, backstory-dependent plot twist would be amazing, but would leave a general mainstream audience, without much real knowledge of the backstory (aka, the majority of movie goers) scratching their collective heads. There will be at least one big "reveal" in VIII for sure, but it's definitely going to be one where the casual Star Wars viewer can (without referencing the internet) say, "ok, I get that."

The trouble with all of these crazy theories is that they are essentially fan fiction, and there have been some really good ones, some that I would love to see played out on the big screen. But then, when any or all of these meticulously detailed fan theories aren't the actual twist and, for example, Rey really is just Luke's daughter after all, people will get all pissy and say that the movie is crap, Disney is ruining Star Wars, blah blah blah.

I don't necessarily want to defend "easy" or "lazy" filmmaking, just hoping that at the end of the day we can get past the fact that they aren't making Star Wars movies for the people who have clung to 30 years worth of possible canonical material and just enjoy the fact that they are making decent, entertaining, enjoyable Star Wars movies again.

the reason I would like something more than Luke/Rey father/daughter is because if they do go that route then most people will probably just have a "saw that coming" feeling. it's not bad writing it's predictable writing which can be "bad" depending on your own opinion.

the reason I would like something more than Luke/Rey father/daughter is because if they do go that route then most people will probably just have a "saw that coming" feeling. it's not bad writing it's predictable writing which can be "bad" depending on your own opinion.

It also gives them an excuse to throw an "I am your father" line in there for nostalgia.

However, I'm really hoping they do less of the throwback jokes in the new ones and just make new movies. They worked for this movie, it would get old if they kept doing it.

I feel like I'm the only one who wouldn't mind if Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter. Just because something is predictable, doesn't mean it's bad or a cop-out (kinda like the Jon Stargaryen theory in GOT/ASOIAF). Ideally, it'd be great if she's also Obi-Wan's granddaughter because it'd explain her powers a bit better than just saying she's a Skywalker (Kenobi was always better than Anakin) but if she's "just" Luke's daughter, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Although I also hope that they'll do less throwbacks and come up with some more new stuff in VIII and IX.

I feel like people constantly forget that the main star wars saga and the old EU seems to always revolve around the Skywalkers. With Jaina and Jacen Solo, Cade Skywalker, etc. No matter what, I believe that Rey is a Skywalker or a relative of Kenobi at most. If she's just someone else's kid, you would have to explain why said parents were powerful and who were they, which would lead unnecessary talking scenes for the general audience to buy. I honestly blame JJ for making everyone doubt themselves when the truth about Rey will probably be pretty simple unless she's another Force baby like Anakin.

If she's just someone else's kid, you would have to explain why said parents were powerful and who were they, which would lead unnecessary talking scenes for the general audience to buy.

Why, though? There are 0 other examples of abilities with the Force being hereditary. The Skywalkers are the ONLY family that seem to inherit the ability from their parents.  Sure, some of that is due to the fact that Jedi Knights are not supposed to have children, and Anakin did... but then where did all the Jedi in the Prequels come from?

Why, though? There are 0 other examples of abilities with the Force being hereditary. The Skywalkers are the ONLY family that seem to inherit the ability from their parents. Sure, some of that is due to the fact that Jedi Knights are not supposed to have children, and Anakin did... but then where did all the Jedi in the Prequels come from?

midiclorians ;)